Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dalian

gluten-free In China

Hi! My name is Katie and I am a new addition to this board. I have never been diagnosed with celiac disease or anything like that, but I do know that I feel so much better when eating gluten free. I have been living in Dalian, China for the past year as a student, and know that I "cheat" a lot because I am not sure what foods have gluten in them, or how to ask. A lot of the time I just let it slide because gluten doesn't kill me, just maybe gives me a little discomfort. I do know that when I went back to America for a month at Christmas and went on a completely gluten free diet, I put on quite a bit of weight (that is a very good thing.) Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone had any tips for keeping to the straight and narrow while living abroad.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Welcome Katie!

We have a few members here that live in China. (Weekends tend to be a little slow around here, though). I have the opportunity to visit Shanghai and also would like to know about a China visit.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

The following company makes a dining card in Chinese that explains what you can have, cannot and what is questionable. It also explains cross-contamination and the one for each language is specifically geared to the quisine of that culture.

http://www.triumphdining.com/restaurantcombopack.aspx

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies

Welcome Katie!

We have a few members here that live in China. (Weekends tend to be a little slow around here, though). I have the opportunity to visit Shanghai and also would like to know about a China visit.

MommaGoose, I visited Shanghai last month and had a great time. I posted about grocery stores and restaurants here and maybe it'll help you out.

---------------------------------

MP - celiac for 10 years

MommaGoose, I visited Shanghai last month and had a great time. I posted about grocery stores and restaurants here and maybe it'll help you out.

Hey Janet,

Thank you for that information. My brother lives in Shanghai and has invited me/us to visit. I guess I just have to get the nerve up to traveling half way around the world, or I can play the martyr and send my daughters. ;) But, then again, it would be a shame to pass up an opportunity of a lifetime.

I will copy your infomation and muster some confidence. :rolleyes:

(I do have the dining cards, which will be helpful)

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

You have to go! Shanghai is a really awesome city and definitely worth the long trip. The worst part of the trip for me was the 15 hour flight from Atlanta. They didn't load a gluten-free meal but fortunately I had food with me and the flight attendants came up with salads and fruit to supplement. Since your brother lives there you'll have access to a kitchen. We rented an apartment so I packed a suitcase of food and cooking utinsels. As an added bonus you have extra space for gifts when you come home!

---------------------------------

MP - celiac for 10 years

This is the shop with the most gluten free items in Hong Kong/ China, I'd say:

www.littlegianthk.com

15/F Chung Wai Commercial Building, 447-449 Lockhart Road, Causeway Bay, Hong Kong

Carries LOTS of gluten free brands: Schaer, Trufree, Enjoy Life, Nuttelex, Orgran, Tinkyada, etc. pretty much from over all the world.