This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Bone Density Scan

KristaleeJane

KristaleeJane Contributor

Hello

I have recently been diagnosed and I am having a hard time educating my doctor about celiac, because she knows nothing about it. She doesn't seem to understand how celiac puts you at risk for other complications, she didn't even know that it can cause infertility? Which I am also having issues with right now.

Anyways that is another topic

Just wondering at what age you should start having the bone density scan to check for ostioperosis?

I have so much trouble with aching joints and muscles also, could this be arthritis?

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Aleshia Contributor
Hello

I have recently been diagnosed and I am having a hard time educating my doctor about celiac, because she knows nothing about it. She doesn't seem to understand how celiac puts you at risk for other complications, she didn't even know that it can cause infertility? Which I am also having issues with right now.

Just wondering at what age you should start having the bone density scan to check for ostioperosis?

I have so much trouble with aching joints and muscles also, could this be arthritis?

Thanks

not sure what age but I know what you mean about doctors not taking the bone thing seriously! I'm 30 and lost 2 inches of height in the last 3-4 years and had to go to so many doctors to get one to even talk about it! finally found a naturopath who sent me to get a bone density scan. my spine is fine but I've had bone loss in my hips showing osteopenia. at least its not osteoporosis! I'm on vitamin D and calcium to help my bones be stronger.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Ideally you should have one now that you have been diagnosed along with panels to check you vitamin and mineral levels. If your regular doctor is reluctant to order the test you may want to ask your OB/GYN sometimes with this type of issue they can be more helpful. If you are low and your doctor prescribes one of the new meds PLEASE make sure you get the literature that goes with the drug. The black box warnings on these newer drugs was enough to make me say no thanks for now. You will make your own choice but I choose to use dietary and excercise measures to rebuild those bones. I would try those first before the drugs and then rescan after a year to check if you are still losing.

You can also take measures to help bone density on your own if you are concerned. Make sure you get enough calcium, if you don't use dairy hempmilk is a great source for protein and calcium and some rice milks are good also. I am not going to reccommend soy milk because for the most part we tend to get a lot of soy when we go gltuen free and it can be a protein that we can have problems with. Also make sure you get some weight bearing excercise at least 4 times a week. That will be easier as the gluten effects leave your body and you feel better.

Your problems with your joints may resolve gluten-free, gluten is an inflammatory for us, it can cause pain and even arthritic symptoms that can be quite severe. One of the celiac genes, mine, is also the gene for RA, mine has been in remmission now for 5 years. I had been on strong meds for years with little relief and by the time I was diagnosed I could barely move. We were getting ready to put me in a wheelchair and even spent a great deal of money remodeling my bathroom and putting in a shower because I had such trouble getting out of the bathtub. It was less than 6 months gluten-free before my artritis was in remission, in fact I stopped my meds before the doctor put me on the elimination diet, not doctor advised but I weaned myself off anyway. I have never had to add a single one of my 5 daily meds back in. Was my first month on the diet VERY painful yes, but the day I woke up and could actually stand up next to the bed, walk to the bathroom and turn on the faucet without pain was almost as wonderful a day as the one when I ran up the stairs without thinking about it.

Piccolo Apprentice

Krista,

I would go ahead and get that bone scan. Nothing was done for me. I am now under 60 years and I am being treated aggresivly for osteoprosis. I agreen with what has been previously said. Check your levels, get on a calcium supplement and magnesium and keep your bones healthy and strong.

Susan

missy'smom Collaborator

I insisted on it this year for various reasons. Called my insurance company and asked them because the Dr. thought I was too young and insurance wouldn't cover it. Insurance said age didn't matter to them. Interestingly Celiac, but probably not surprising, was not on the long check list of risk factors that they gave me to fill out while waiting in the office for the scan. And the tech gave me a hard time for not having enough risk factors and for other things. But I am glad I did it. I showed a little thinning in the hip but otherwise fine. I'm 38 and have been gluten-free almost 2 years.

home-based-mom Contributor
Ideally you should have one now that you have been diagnosed along with panels to check you vitamin and mineral levels. If your regular doctor is reluctant to order the test you may want to ask your OB/GYN sometimes with this type of issue they can be more helpful. If you are low and your doctor prescribes one of the new meds PLEASE make sure you get the literature that goes with the drug. The black box warnings on these newer drugs was enough to make me say no thanks for now. You will make your own choice but I choose to use dietary and excercise measures to rebuild those bones. I would try those first before the drugs and then rescan after a year to check if you are still losing.

I can't second this strongly enough. You used to see commercials from a drug company for a drug called Fosamax which was prescribed for osteoporosis. Now you see commercials from attorneys, trolling for victims of Fosamax because under some circumstances it has been linked to a condition called "dead jaw." :o Yikes!

Open Original Shared Link

ravenwoodglass Mentor
I can't second this strongly enough. You used to see commercials from a drug company for a drug called Fosamax which was prescribed for osteoporosis. Now you see commercials from attorneys, trolling for victims of Fosamax because under some circumstances it has been linked to a condition called "dead jaw." :o Yikes!

Open Original Shared Link

Thanks for the link, and we celiacs are IMHO at much greater risk of this happening because most of us have horrible teeth. The literature warns against taking the drug if you need extensive dental work for this very reason. They often rush to prescribe thing like this and drugs like many of the diabetes drugs when things can be handled by diet and excercise. But then again so many folks do seem to want a quick fix and ignore dietary and excercise advice that I really can't entirely blame doctors for that. Now the drug companies that is another story.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Karli Rookie
Hello

Thanks

Hello, since you are young enough to be concerned about infertility, I would not be as concerned about getting a bone scan.... you do not want to take any of the medications prescribed for bone loss if you wish to get pregnant..... Educate your self about building bone naturally... you are young enough to do it.... Unless you also have milk allergies... drink that milk and eat your yogurt.... much better for building bones than calicum suppliments.... my doctor also warned me about magnesium suppliments as they can irritate the intestinal tract... and celiacs do not need that.... while you are learning about gluten free foods.... learn also about high calicum/magnesium and potasium foods... DO take a vitamin D suppliment.... much safer than too much sun...

That said.... my bone scan at age 64 was my first real medical warning that something was not right with my absorption of food.... based upon my diet and level of exercise...my bone density should have been top notch and it was border-line.... I took fosmax for several months and it made me feel so rotten that I gave it up especially after experiencing violent tooth aches... where I had no teeth....

Archived