Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

IMWalt

Contamination Maybe?

I'm fairly new to the gluten-free world, and doing well so far. However, last night I got home and my son was eating Tostitos bite size corn chips and salsa. I looked at the ingredients for both, and had some. Today, I had the big "D" twice, so I figure I must have gotten some gluten. The Tostitosd web site lists these chips as gluten-free. I suppose it could have been th salsa, but I eat the same salsa on eggs with no problem.

Anybody have experience with these chips?

Thanks

Walt

Daughter diagnosed via positve blood work 09/2005 - she had negative biopsy

Sister Dx via bloodwork

Nephew has daughter with celiac disease Dx'd at age 6 months

Me - negative blood and biopsy, but HUGE dietary response. No question in my mind.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I'm fairly new to the gluten-free world, and doing well so far. However, last night I got home and my son was eating Tostitos bite size corn chips and salsa. I looked at the ingredients for both, and had some. Today, I had the big "D" twice, so I figure I must have gotten some gluten. The Tostitosd web site lists these chips as gluten-free. I suppose it could have been th salsa, but I eat the same salsa on eggs with no problem.

Thanks

Walt

Did you have any dairy products since last night? I noticed during the first several months of my healing after going gluten free that I would get D whenever I would eat cheese. That still happens now, whenever I am accidentally glutened, but not when I haven't been.

Gluten-free since April 2007.

Also dealing with Fibromyalgia, Depression, PCOS, PMDD, and Menopause, but otherwise extremely healthy. :)

Found out I have Adult ADD in January 2009.

Thanks

Walt

Hi Walt

One question came to my mind, could your son have had something with gluten before he started eating the chips? I live on tostitoes scoops and salsa but have my own bag seperate from my kids just in case they ate a sandwhich etc and forgot to wash their hands before reaching into the bag. I also keep my own salsa because my kids will dip regular doritoes in the jar sometimes (they are 17, 20 and 22 so they easily forget about me when they are snacking so we have seperate containers for them and myself). Cross contamination happens pretty easy when you have family members still eating gluten...not sure if this is your case or not just a thought :)

Kathy

Gluten free 3/08

Negative blood work/positive endoscopy

Fructose Malabsorption

Soy free

Thanks for the ideas. I don't think it's dairy. I regularly eat cottage cheese and yogurt with no problems. It could very well be something my son ate before the chips. He is 17 and eats everything in sight.

Thanks

Walt

Daughter diagnosed via positve blood work 09/2005 - she had negative biopsy

Sister Dx via bloodwork

Nephew has daughter with celiac disease Dx'd at age 6 months

Me - negative blood and biopsy, but HUGE dietary response. No question in my mind.

I also noticed that early on in my healing that there were times that I was just sick. I know that everything I had eaten was gluten-free. It took me a long time to heal enough that I did not have the D often (about 6 months). Hope you are feeling better. This also might be a good time to remind your family about cc and how sick it can make you.

Hez