Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Woolygimp

Symptoms Return Seven Days After Glutened.

When I get glutened it takes almost exactly seven days for major recurrence of symptoms. I find this odd because a persons metabolic and digestive system works much faster than this, and most celiacs report almost immediate effects from accidental ingestion of gluten.

Almost every single time I've been glutened, I'll feel fine for an additional week and on that seventh day it hits me out of the blue. Back before I was diagnosed via endoscopy and blood test, I was on and off a gluten free diet. Being unsure, I would intentionally consume gluten to 'make sure I was Celiac' and I'd feel fine ...for a while. Then out of the blue, on the seventh day it'd hit me like a truck and last two or three weeks after that.

That's the other thing, every mistake I make takes me at least two weeks to recover from. Sometimes longer depending on how much I eat. I'm thinking a lot of this may have to do with the fact that I don't have very many digestive problems associated with Celiac, but all of my problems are usually metabolic/autoimmune related which I'm recovering from.

Just wanted to share this, and see if anyone else out there has the same problem.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Oh, and could someone help me out with this forum software? I can't see any posts I make in the corresponding forum, all I see are a ton of 'Pinned:' posts. To get to any post I make I have to go to my control panel, and it's almost as if the threads I make aren't showing up at the top of the forum.

I've tried arranging by date and all that, but it's a no-go.

Oh, and could someone help me out with this forum software? I can't see any posts I make in the corresponding forum, all I see are a ton of 'Pinned:' posts. To get to any post I make I have to go to my control panel, and it's almost as if the threads I make aren't showing up at the top of the forum.

I've tried arranging by date and all that, but it's a no-go.

Each new post is viewed by a moderator to check for correct substance and placement. Then it's pinned.

As each new post is made, or answered, it moves up to the top of the current page.

To answer your previous post, everyone responds differently. Seven days does seem like a long time to react. But, I'm not sure what you mean by metabolic reactions.

Would it be helpful to you to begin a food journal and track your reaction with more detail?

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Each new post is viewed by a moderator to check for correct substance and placement. Then it's pinned.

As each new post is made, or answered, it moves up to the top of the current page.

To answer your previous post, everyone responds differently. Seven days does seem like a long time to react. But, I'm not sure what you mean by metabolic reactions.

Would it be helpful to you to begin a food journal and track your reaction with more detail?

I currently do this, and every single reaction I've ever had has taken place 6-8 days after suspected food has been eaten.

It's maybe unusual but I think I know how it's possible. The symptoms when you are glutened don't actually come from the gluten, the symptoms are a sign of how your immune system reacts to gluten. See what I mean? Apparently you have an immune system that takes it's time to mount a response.

I have something similar, though I get a reaction 6 hours or so after eating something with gluten, the symptoms then gradually get less severe until a week after the glutening suddenly I have a day when I'm almost as sick as the first day. Then after that it all starts to get better. It's like my immune system decides to make another good attempt at this "virus" that it thinks it's fighting, and after that it gives up. :)

Pauliina

I don't always get symptoms right away. The digestive part generally starts fairly quickly, usually by the next day, and then I'll "feel sick" for about 3 weeks. My DH happens within 24 hours....also lasts about 3 weeks. The last time I had it really bad, lots of it in lots of places.

the last time I got glutened, and I'm not at all sure what it was I got into....not only did I have digestive problems of D and nausea...I've been having headaches, back into bad sleep, every joint and bone in my body aches, I'm sooooo tired and am bruising again, severe stomach pain, heart irregularity, on and on. I had been doing so well, and am now in the process of looking at everything I eat again. I must be getting "bad stuff" somewhere for me to slide backwards so far and for it to continue. I feel like I did a year ago. Pretty frustrating :( It's been several weeks of worsening symptoms, feels like I'm back to not absorbing things, and I feel like my belly, from my throat on down is in flames and in pain.

Anyway, I'm sure we all have our own personal reactions, just as our healing times vary, as do our symptoms to begin with. I agree about keeping a food diary, it's a good practice while you heal, even if it is a pain. Good luck and good health!

GOD IS GREAT, GOD IS GOOD, THANK YOU FOR OUR GLUTEN-FREE FOOD!

MUSIC IS THE BREATH OF LIFE

Theresa

It is not unknown for it to take up to a week for the reaction to show. Those of us who were put on doctor assisted elimination diets are told to add one food at a time for a week before we decide the food is safe for this reason. The antibody reaction can take a while to show up depending on the individuals system. When we have delayed reactions it can make things much more difficult when we are trying to pinpoint what got us. At least I have found that to be the case for me. I take 4 days now to react, although when I still had antibodies in my skin the DH would show up within hours. Your not alone in this delay.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)