Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

texas

Austin Tx

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi texas,

I can't help with restaurants, but would be interested to know too, as I travel there from time to time myself (from Dallas).

I know there are lots of good ones, but as far as gluten free, no clue. As health concious as Austin seems to be, I bet there are a few.

I'll do some asking around of my family members that are there, and if I come up with any, I'll be sure to post here for you!

Dx Celiac 08/22/08

Iron Deficient Anemia / Blood Clotting Disorder / Severe Vit D Deficiency / Low Cortisol / Progesterone/Testosterone Deficient

Persisting Sx: bouts of extreme fatigue, dry itchy skin, dry gritty eyes, bouts of brain fog and terrible short term memory, hair loss, hypoglycemic tendencies, low body temps, low BP, cold hands and feet

UPDATE: Began BHRT 9/22/10 and it made a world of difference, for about 2 weeks. Hair loss stopped almost completely, energy levels way up and felt 19 again! Going back for a booster this week....

Hi Texas,

I found a few restaurants that are gluten free in Austin. Hopefully these will help you!

Carino's Italian Grill

7500 Rialto Blvd, Building One, Suite 250

Austin, Texas 78725

512-263-0800

www.carinos.com

Carrabba's Italian Grill (2 locations)

11590 Research Blvd.

Austin, Texas 78759

(512) 345-8232

6406 N. I-H 35

Austin, Texas 78752

(512) 419-1220

www.carrabbas.com

Outback Steakhouse (2 locations)

11600 Research Blvd.

Austin, Texas 78759

512-343-6333

4211 South Lamar Blvd.

Austin, Texas 78704

512-383-8024

www.outback.com

Z'Tejas (3 locations)

1110 W. 6th Street

Austin, Texas 78703

512-478-5355

9400 A Arboretum Blvd

Austin, Texas 78759

512-346-3506

10525 W. Palmer Lane

Austin, Texas 78717

512-388-3772

www.ztejas.com

Z'Tejas is awesome, btw! Not exactly cheap, but a great atmosphere!

I'll add more if I can find them. When are you headed for Austin?

Dx Celiac 08/22/08

Iron Deficient Anemia / Blood Clotting Disorder / Severe Vit D Deficiency / Low Cortisol / Progesterone/Testosterone Deficient

Persisting Sx: bouts of extreme fatigue, dry itchy skin, dry gritty eyes, bouts of brain fog and terrible short term memory, hair loss, hypoglycemic tendencies, low body temps, low BP, cold hands and feet

UPDATE: Began BHRT 9/22/10 and it made a world of difference, for about 2 weeks. Hair loss stopped almost completely, energy levels way up and felt 19 again! Going back for a booster this week....

Hi, just noticed this post about Austin. My brother lives there and when we visited in April we went to the Wild Wood Cafe on Bee Cave Rd. It is a gluten free restaurant and is awesome. My husband was so thrilled to be able to order pancakes in a restaurant. Everyone else got reg. french toast that was the best I've ever eaten. Served with fresh fruit. Can you say yummo!! They have all kinds of delicious baked gluten-free foods. If you live near there or are visiting it is well worth the trip.

Belinda in NC

Hi texas,

I can't help with restaurants, but would be interested to know too, as I travel there from time to time myself (from Dallas).

I know there are lots of good ones, but as far as gluten free, no clue. As health concious as Austin seems to be, I bet there are a few.

I'll do some asking around of my family members that are there, and if I come up with any, I'll be sure to post here for you!

Eek!

STAY AWAY from Carino's! At least the one here in Austin on Brodie Lane!

I ate there this past summer with some friends and was happy to see an Italian style eatery on the local gluten-free list. I asked the waiter about a gluten-free menu and he disappeared to the back and came back empty handed saying there were none for the restaurant. He asked me what it was again and I told him once more. He looked at me funny and asked me if it was lactose - not once but twice. He said he would get the manager to help me find something to eat at the buffet and that person never surfaced either.

I ended up with salad and seasoned vegetables and still getting sick.

Try Mr. Naturals on South Lamar (all vegetarian and mostly gluten-free - everyone in there knows what gluten is). Jimmy Johns is a local sandwich shop that does lettuce wraps and has lots of gluten free ingredients - ask them to change their gloves and make yours on a sheet of paper on the cutting board.

-Patricia

Celiac & Duhring Disease

Austin does have some good places and not just the chains. I was there in March and we ate at this great restaurant. I'll ask my niece what the name of it was. It may have been the Wild Wood Cafe. I'll see if she remembers and let you know.

Jenny

(Texas girl in AZ)

Diag: 2/2008

Bloodwork - positive, 2/19/08

Biopsy - positive, 2/26/08

Colonoscopy - clean as a whistle!, 2/27/08

Hi Texas,

Mother's Cafe is really good. The owner has celiac's and they provide a gluten free menu. They are #1 on my list. Z'Tejas is good.... there is a Pei Wei also if you are looking for something quick, I've never had a problem there.

Check out www.glutenfreeregistry.com/ - this is a wonderful resource and all the information is there - address, phone number, some have reviews.

Have fun and good luck!

Rachel

gluten-free since Aug. '08

Went gluten-free after high fat score results from Enterolab (291).

No celiac gene but two DQ1 genes.

Scope tests both normal, biopsies for celiac and Crohn's normal (on gluten-free diet).

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1