Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jj91709

Testing For Celiac's

I have a host of symptoms and am wondering if they're related to Celiac's. I've never had a Celiac's diagnosis. Here's a quick rundown:

1) Diagnosed with Osteoporosis last year (I'm a 36-year-old male). I went in for a check because my brother was diagnosed and he is 39-years old.

2) Iron levels are in the very low-end of normal. Take supplements now.

3) Low Vitamin D levels, but have improved now with supplements

4) Chronic heartburn for over 15 years. Was on Prilosec and Protonix (Proton Pump Inhibitors) to treat the heartburn. Doctor was suspect that maybe that influenced the osteoporosis

5) Have suffered from anxiety and OCD-like symptoms such as tapping excessively. Have been on meds such as Fluvoxamine, Prozac and others in that same class

6) Lots of gas pain, cramping-- have been drinking Lactaid milk for years

7) Extreme gas reaction to garlic. I mean "peel the paint off the walls" extreme...

8) Constantly fatigued

9) Doctors took me off of Prilosec and heartburn was horrible again. Just went in for an Upper GI a couple of weeks ago. They say I have a loose valve between the esophagus and stomach, plus mild gastritis

10) Beer makes me extremely gassy

11) This morning I had a big protein drink with Whey Powder and I had to leave work later cuz my stomach hurt so bad. It still hurts more than 12 hours later.

12) Diagnosed with Irritable Bowel Syndrome years ago which seems like a "catch-all" diagnosis, like complaining to a doctor that your elbow is sore and he says you have "Sore Elbow Syndrome". Duh

13) Just under 5'8". Have been under normal height my whole life, especially as a child. I weigh 160 pounds.

They did a biopsy of the gastritis a couple of weeks ago but said that it was 'normal/no cancer' though I don't think they were looking for Celiac's-- just cancer. I called my doctor and asked him to have me get labs drawn for Celiac's. I'm awaiting results on those any day. But I'm not sure what a "Celiac Panel" is. I've seen people reference that in this forum.

What do you all think? Does it walk and talk like a duck (sound like celiac disease)?

I just went to the store and bought a bunch of gluten-free stuff and am going to try the diet for awhile.

I'd appreciate any input you all have. Does it sound like Celiac's? What does a Celiac Panel consist of? Is a Celiac Panel close to 100% accurate? Thanks everyone!

-- Wheatless in Seattle

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi!

Response to the diet is the only 100% accurate way to know.

The Celiac panel usually consists of antibodies to gluten and gliadin and your overall IgA antibody level. If they only test IgA antibodies and your total IgA come in deficient, then will need to retest for IgG antibodies.

Post your results when you get them. Ask your doctor for a copy of the labs. We will need to now the reference ranges as well.

GLUTEN FREE 4/4/08. LEGUME/SOY FREE 5/15/08. YEAST FREE. CORN FREE. GRAIN FREE. DAIRY FREE. I am eating all meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, squash, nuts and seeds. I just keep getting better every day. :)

Do not let any of the advice given here substitute for good medical care. Let this forum be a catalyst for research. Find support for any post in here before you believe it to be true. Arm yourself with knowledge. Let your doctor be your assistant. Listen to their advice, but follow your own instincts as well. Miracles are within your reach. You can heal!

It definitely is worth a shot. Check out Peter Green's book Celiac Disease: A Hidden Epidemic.

It specifically mentions osteoporosis as a side effect, and that while Celiac is more common in women, in men it is usually worse. So, your osteoporosis at such a young age sends a big warning flag to me.

Positive response to the diet really is the best diagnostic tool, but be aware that if you want blood testing or another EGD, you need to remain on gluten. The test doesn't exactly have a huge accuracy rating, but if you stop eating gluten you decrease your chances of having a positive result.

Welcome to the forum!!! Please feel free to ask any questions :D

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

Oscar Wilde

Gluten free November 2007

IgA Deficient, Neg Bloodwork, Double DQ2 Positive

Dietary and Genetic Diagnosis June 2, 2008

Soy free Jan 09

Here is what I think. Anemia in males is very rare, and is enough reason to get celiac disease testing done. Sometimes it is the only obvious symptom of celiac disease in males.

Osteoporosis at such a young age is also a red flag for celiac disease, as is reflux, low vitamin D and low levels of other nutrients.

Celiac disease is genetic, and having a brother with it, plus all your symptoms screams celiac disease to me.

Short stature is also a typical symtom, as is lactose or casein intolerance and mental health problems.

So, even if your test results come back negative (which isn

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------