Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just wondering if anybody else has had a problem with coffee. (I drink it black). I've been reacting to something over the last 2 weeks and the only thing I come up with is the (organic french roast) coffee I got (and ground) at Winco. Still not absolutely sure about this since I just quit drinking it. I haven't had a problem with organic coffees elsewhere.

Namaste

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Just wondering if anybody else has had a problem with coffee. (I drink it black). I've been reacting to something over the last 2 weeks and the only thing I come up with is the (organic french roast) coffee I got (and ground) at Winco. Still not absolutely sure about this since I just quit drinking it. I haven't had a problem with organic coffees elsewhere.

I would suspect the grinding machine. Who knows what else has been put through it and someone may have ground some gluten-containing flavored beans. :o

Sandi ~ learning to live in a world obsessed and infested with wheat.

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" probably was not referring to us . . .

"For the love of money gluten is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs." (apologies to 1 Timothy 6:10 (NASB)

The person we most dislike is still a soul for whom Christ died. (David Jeremiah)

Coffee can sometimes have a laxative effect (even if it is gluten-free). Just something to keep in mind :)

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Jessica

Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!

Kansas

I would suspect the grinding machine. Who knows what else has been put through it and someone may have ground some gluten-containing flavored beans. :o

I thought about that and that may be what happened, but I also did some checking and found the following information I'd like to share. Some companies dust their manufacturing lines with flour to keep the beans rolling along. The gluten from the flour can soak into the oil of the beans. The only hope of knowing for sure is to contact the company, hope they don't subcontract and that they are honest.

Guess I won't be buying coffee from the warehouse-type stores anymore! Never had a problem until this month, and I've been gluten-free for nearly 2 years -drinking coffee for 38 years.

Namaste

Coffee can sometimes have a laxative effect (even if it is gluten-free). Just something to keep in mind :)

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Thanks, but that wasn't the problem.

I did some checking and found the following information I'd like to share. Some companies dust their manufacturing lines with flour to keep the beans rolling along. :( The gluten from the flour can soak into the oil of the beans. The only hope of knowing for sure is to contact the company, hope they don't subcontract and that they are honest.

Guess I won't be buying coffee from the warehouse-type stores anymore! Never had a problem until this month, and I've been gluten-free for nearly 2 years -drinking coffee for 38 years.

Namaste

I did some checking and found the following information I'd like to share. Some companies dust their manufacturing lines with flour to keep the beans rolling along. :( The gluten from the flour can soak into the oil of the beans. The only hope of knowing for sure is to contact the company, hope they don't subcontract and that they are honest.

Wow, I haven't heard that before but it worries me because I LOVE coffee...

Do you know which companies use flour?

♥ Laura

I just bought a can of Columbian Decaf at Walmart, and it states gluten free on the can! I use Folgers, 8 O'Clock, Maxwell House, Mr Coffee, Duncan Donuts, and I buy 7-11 Decaf all the time...never been glutened by regular coffee. Be aware...many flavored coffees do contain gluten, as do many flavored teas.

I too, have been drinking coffee for well over 40 yrs, and it has never been a problem for me.

Deb

Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

I thought about that and that may be what happened, but I also did some checking and found the following information I'd like to share. Some companies dust their manufacturing lines with flour to keep the beans rolling along. The gluten from the flour can soak into the oil of the beans. The only hope of knowing for sure is to contact the company, hope they don't subcontract and that they are honest.

I would really appreciate it if you could tell me where you found the information about flour on the manufacturing lines. Do you remember where you found the information?

Thanks!

Wow, I haven't heard that before but it worries me because I LOVE coffee...

Do you know which companies use flour?

I don't know what companies use flour. I also can't remember the brand of coffee I bought at Winco (Vancouver, WA), only that it was bulk coffee & organic. Oh yeah, and there's still the possibility that since I ground it there, it was cross contaminated with one of the other coffees. Anyway, next time I go I will try to find out - and then maybe if a bunch of folks request that if they intend to keep on using flour, that they list the coffee as possibly containing gluten!

Needless to say, I try to be very careful what I consume, and read labels Very Carefully. And I will never again buy bulk coffee, unless it's at a gluten-free store. Same goes for store grinding. I'm digging out my dusty old coffee grinder.

Anyway, you are now forewarned <_<

Namaste

I would really appreciate it if you could tell me where you found the information about flour on the manufacturing lines. Do you remember where you found the information?

Thanks!

I googled "gluten in coffee beans", and found that piece of info at WikiAnswers - Is Green Mountain Coffee Roasters gluten free. So while it is not an "official" answer, it is probably true. I intend to do some checking, and ask at a gluten free store, too.

That coffee is the only thing in my life that changed, and I began drinking it about the same time my symptoms started & my symptoms got worse each day while drinking it. (I don't drink that much & only first thing in the morning).

It's only been two days since I totally cleaned out my coffee maker and switched coffee, so I'm symptom free yet, but feeling a little better.

Namaste