Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stolly

Baking With Flaxseed Meal

If I add flaxseed meal to a muffin or bread recipe that doesn't normally call for flaxseed meal, do I need to adjust the other ingredients? I've seen it as a egg replacer (I think), so I was wondering if I have to decrease the eggs otherwise, or anything else, and if so, by how much, to keep it from being too dry or too moist. Thanks!

Holly

DD5: juveline rheumatoid arthritis 8/07; celiac 3/08

DS3: negative blood tests

Me and DH: negative blood tests

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Flaxseed meal becomes an egg replacer if you boil it with water. Dry flaxseed will need a little more moisture, I believe.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree with Ursa. If I add flax meal to a recipe and it makes the batter or dough look to dry or stiff, I just add a little more of the main liquid-- water, milk, whatever.

I've added it successfully to muffins, pancakes, and pizza crust. I always put it in my bread recipes.

Remember- once you've opened the package of flax meal, you should store the rest in a sealed ziploc bag or container in the fridge.

-Sarah

--Son, Lucas, age 7. Gluten-free since May 2007

--Son, Ezra, age 5. Gluten-free 10/13/07. Bipolar tendencies, massively improved on gluten-free diet! He's also allergic to a jillion antibiotics.

--My mother has Celiac Disease, dx'ed by Positive Blood Tests and Biopsy. Diagnosed Sarcoidosis 6/08.

--Myself, Gluten-free since 8/07

Time heals all hurt of heart... but time must be won.

I have been adding 1 tsp of flax to recipes to make them healthier and to see what happens. So far I think I need to add more b/c everything I made has turned out fine. I added it to pie crust, biscuits, muffins, cookies, breads, sweet breads, tortillas, muffins, pizza crust, hamburger buns, cakes, etc. One other thing I tried was a gluten-free/vegan (no eggs) banana muffin recipe. Three T. of flax was used but dry not with the wet ingredients. I think the bananas helped. It worked great but I wouldn't suggest it would work for other recipes as an egg replacer without the moisture. The recipe is at recipezaar#301233 if you want to read it. You can also add a bit of Quinoa flakes just like flax in many recipes.

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28