This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

gluten-free Restaurants In Vancouver, Bc

mandigirl1

mandigirl1 Enthusiast

Hello!

Does anyone know of any gluten-free/celiac disease friendly restaurants in Vancouver, BC OR Victoria Island? I'll be going there on vacation this week and would love to know if there are any "safe" places to enjoy gluten-free food?

Any info would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Erica :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyberprof Enthusiast

I hope you get some replies. We are in Seattle and are planning a bike trip to Victoria next month.

~Laura

• 2 weeks later...
Insatiable Newbie

Hi there,

I've been gluten free for just over a year and really miss eating out! However, I've been lucky to have found some great places in Vancouver and around the lower mainland area. Here's some suggestions for you:

Downtown Vancouver:

1. Steamrollers- this is one of my favourite places in Vancouver. They offer steamed burrito/wraps, but for us gluten free people they make up bowls with all the fillings without the wrap. So I like the brown rice, with beans, beef and all the sauces. Some of the staff has celiacs and the new owners have gluten allergies in their family so if you tell them they are very accomodating. You can tailor the bowls to what you like :)

Around the Lower Mainalnd:

1. White Spot- they actually have an allergy guide. You can ask for it. It lists many of their dishes and tells you exactly what has gluten in it. I love WS simply because its the only place I can get french fries and not get sick! I always go for their bunless burgers with the fries and coleslaw, I usually bring my own mustard or ranch sauce for the burger. If you let them know of your allergy they make sure and cook your burger on a seperate grill. I eat here 2-3 times a month and have never gotten sick.

White Rock:

1. Pelagos Greek restaurant: This a fancier place right on Crescant Beach. I love, love, love the people here. We were there for a bday dinner, and i mentioned my allergy when booking the reservation. When we got there the waitress came looking for me and told me that the chef had already started preparing gluten-free veggies for me before I was even there. I had the shrimp skewers with veggies and greek salad- lovely dinner. And you have the view of the ocean :)

2. Beecher Street Cafe: this is also in Crescant beach, great place, pricey though. Again the chef was great made me a terrific seafood dinner. This place is pricey though, my meal was $30 and to be honest I was still hungry! lol

Coquitlam:

1. Giggle Dam- this is actually a dinner theatre, a lot of fun if you want a great meal and a good show. Call ahead and when you book your tickets ask for gluten free. They made me a terrific salmon dinner, and I even got baked chcocolate cookies for desert. When you get there they usually come looking for the gluten free person, be prepared to be harassed by their comedic wait staff :)

As a note, I find that eating out in Vancouver is always a bit of a risk. I never trust the sauces, i always take my own. My rule of thumb is, if I dont feel like the wait staff understand me when I ask for gluten free, I stick to a salad or water. lol.

Also check out Choices Market for great baked goods. My fave is the cheescake and muffins. I always load up on muffins and cookies.

I hope this helps. I know there are a lot of other great gluten free places around town, but these are my faves where i dont worry about getting sick.

M

mandigirl1 Enthusiast

Thank you so much for offering these gluten-free restaurants in Vancouver. Unfortunately, I checked this email after I had already gotten back. I did okay in Vancouver, however, I didnt know about the ones you mentioned. I also went to Victoria Island and found a great cafe which prepared my meal gluten-free (the waitress herself had celiac disease so she knew exactly what was safe). Luckily, I never got sick while away. In Vancouver I stayed downtown, in the city. We did eat at a 2 good places called Milestones and Sin Sin.

Again, thanks for your help! :)

• 1 month later...
Salem Rookie

I just went to the White Spot in New West today after reading this thread. I asked the server, and she looked at me like I had three heads, but she went into the kitchen and brought out a gross looking binder. She told me it was really old, but maybe I could find something I could eat. About half of the current menu isn't even in the book. I decided on a garden salad with a side of yam fries as the book said both are gluten-free.

As I ordered I asked about the friers. She assured me that they have dedicated french fry friers. Great! A few minutes later she came back and let me know that the oil from the friers is filtered through a single filtration system, and so the oil is not gluten-free. I skipped the fries, and just had the salad.

I thought I should pass on my experience, as you might not be getting a gluten-free meal after all. Given the choice I don't think I'll go to WS again, the menu was too limited (for vegetarian). I'd rather go to Joey's or the Cactus Club- they have gluten-free menus. I also had a good experience at Bridges (on granville island). The waitress knew about celiac disease because the chef has celiac! :D

Hi there,

I've been gluten free for just over a year and really miss eating out! However, I've been lucky to have found some great places in Vancouver and around the lower mainland area. Here's some suggestions for you:

Downtown Vancouver:

1. Steamrollers- this is one of my favourite places in Vancouver. They offer steamed burrito/wraps, but for us gluten free people they make up bowls with all the fillings without the wrap. So I like the brown rice, with beans, beef and all the sauces. Some of the staff has celiacs and the new owners have gluten allergies in their family so if you tell them they are very accomodating. You can tailor the bowls to what you like :)

Around the Lower Mainalnd:

1. White Spot- they actually have an allergy guide. You can ask for it. It lists many of their dishes and tells you exactly what has gluten in it. I love WS simply because its the only place I can get french fries and not get sick! I always go for their bunless burgers with the fries and coleslaw, I usually bring my own mustard or ranch sauce for the burger. If you let them know of your allergy they make sure and cook your burger on a seperate grill. I eat here 2-3 times a month and have never gotten sick.

White Rock:

1. Pelagos Greek restaurant: This a fancier place right on Crescant Beach. I love, love, love the people here. We were there for a bday dinner, and i mentioned my allergy when booking the reservation. When we got there the waitress came looking for me and told me that the chef had already started preparing gluten-free veggies for me before I was even there. I had the shrimp skewers with veggies and greek salad- lovely dinner. And you have the view of the ocean :)

2. Beecher Street Cafe: this is also in Crescant beach, great place, pricey though. Again the chef was great made me a terrific seafood dinner. This place is pricey though, my meal was $30 and to be honest I was still hungry! lol

Coquitlam:

1. Giggle Dam- this is actually a dinner theatre, a lot of fun if you want a great meal and a good show. Call ahead and when you book your tickets ask for gluten free. They made me a terrific salmon dinner, and I even got baked chcocolate cookies for desert. When you get there they usually come looking for the gluten free person, be prepared to be harassed by their comedic wait staff :)

As a note, I find that eating out in Vancouver is always a bit of a risk. I never trust the sauces, i always take my own. My rule of thumb is, if I dont feel like the wait staff understand me when I ask for gluten free, I stick to a salad or water. lol.

Also check out Choices Market for great baked goods. My fave is the cheescake and muffins. I always load up on muffins and cookies.

I hope this helps. I know there are a lot of other great gluten free places around town, but these are my faves where i dont worry about getting sick.

M

• 4 weeks later...
Mina Newbie

I'm so sorry you had a bad experience with White Spot. I was recently at the WS on Georgia ST in Vancouver and I had a very similar experience to yours. I should have clarified that the only two locations I have eaten at are the two Langley locations. I've had great experiences there...maybe they are just more aware I guess. Its always hit and miss with chain restaurants. I'm pretty sure I havent been glutenized at the Langley locations. I have a 10-15 minute window before I'm horrifically ill if i do ingest gluten. In any case- I'm sorry about your experience!

M

Archived