This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Do Figs And Prunes Murder Anyone Else?

Pyro

Pyro Enthusiast

I don't understand why, especially because I can eat other things higher in fiber just fine.

But whenever I have handful of prunes or figs (dried) they knot up in my stomach and cause serious bloating and terrible gas. Which is awful because I love them, even if figs taste a little funny sometimes. Even worse, I will convince myself to eat them anyway sometimes thinking "just a couple will be fine" or "maybe it was something else last time", but the same thing happens each time. It really makes me sad. Especially because I saw fig bread (100% allergen free) at my local Fred Meyer's.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rya Newbie
I don't understand why, especially because I can eat other things higher in fiber just fine.

But whenever I have handful of prunes or figs (dried) they knot up in my stomach and cause serious bloating and terrible gas. Which is awful because I love them, even if figs taste a little funny sometimes. Even worse, I will convince myself to eat them anyway sometimes thinking "just a couple will be fine" or "maybe it was something else last time", but the same thing happens each time. It really makes me sad. Especially because I saw fig bread (100% allergen free) at my local Fred Meyer's.

My first line of questioning would be are you used to consuming fiber, but I see you already thought of that. :) I just noted to my boyfriend that fruit allergies are becoming more and more common.

First, can you eat plums?

Second, what sort of preservatives are in this prunes and figs? Is it specific brand?

If none of the above works, there are many fruits in the dried fruit sea. And, if you don't mind baking, I have an excellent bread recipe should the fig bread not work out.

Rya Newbie

I thought of a few more questions. You can put your answers on the post or a PM, or just use these to do your own research.

You might already be aware of this, but just in case - do you drink plenty of fluids through the day? The high fiber foods that you eat, what kinds of foods are they? And, this is a bit personal, but are you typically regular? I only ask because if you have a GI system that moves a bit slower than we might want, this may explain the awful symptoms you experience.

Pyro Enthusiast

Could it be the combination between sugar and fiber?

Usually I get about 30g of fiber a day. But I stick to a low-carb diet for well-being reasons. So I never consume things like potatoes (upsets me), brown rice (upsets me), and of course figs on a regular basis.

I wonder if maybe my stomach has degraded or something? I take Pancreatin pills (contains digestive enzymes) every day so my carb days shouldn't be as bad as they are in theory. Especially since I can eat like a pound of spinach with little problem.

Any fig or prune will do it. Today my symptoms aren't so bad, but I didn't go too insane with the figs this time. Half were even fresh. And I ate no prunes.

It worries me. While I do feel much better on a low carb diet, that would suck if I inhibited my ability to eat beans and stuff.

In response to your new questions, I usually eat flaxmeal and various green veggies for fiber.

Rya Newbie
Could it be the combination between sugar and fiber?

Usually I get about 30g of fiber a day. But I stick to a low-carb diet for well-being reasons. So I never consume things like potatoes (upsets me), brown rice (upsets me), and of course figs on a regular basis.

I wonder if maybe my stomach has degraded or something? I take Pancreatin pills (contains digestive enzymes) every day so my carb days shouldn't be as bad as they are in theory. Especially since I can eat like a pound of spinach with little problem.

Any fig or prune will do it. Today my symptoms aren't so bad, but I didn't go too insane with the figs this time. Half were even fresh. And I ate no prunes.

It worries me. While I do feel much better on a low carb diet, that would suck if I inhibited my ability to eat beans and stuff.

In response to your new questions, I usually eat flaxmeal and various green veggies for fiber.

To the best of my knowledge, I cannot think of a physiological response between sugar and fiber that would cause this.

You are doing great with your fiber, that's awesome that you get so much.

My ears pricked when you mentioned Pancreatin. I had to look it up on the internet as I haven't heard of it. Are you having trouble with producing pancreatic enzymes, possibly as a result of pancreatitis or cystic fibrosis?

What this sounds like to me is that you are not appropriately breaking down these carbohydrates in your stomach and upper intestine and when they travel to your lower intestine, bacteria are having a picnic and creating this gas. Does this scenario match the symptoms you experience?

Also, how long have you been gluten-free, and if I may ask, for what reason did they place you on Pancreatin?

Pyro Enthusiast

I've been gluten free since this December.

Those symptoms sound pretty correct. I put myself on pancreatin, you can buy it online. I take it to help bring down the bloating which seems more of an issue some days than others.

YoloGx Rookie

I can't eat figs or prunes either or any dried fruit for that matter though prunes and figs seem to be worse. My understanding is sometimes they dust the ones that are more processed with gluten. But apart form all that, even if they don't there is the whole fungal yeast reaction that I get to fried fruits like that. I can handle eating plums thus better than eating a dried prune...Though I shouldn't eat much fresh fruit either also due to excess candida overgrowth, which is common I hear for those of us with long term previously untreated celiac.

Bea

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rya Newbie
I've been gluten free since this December.

Those symptoms sound pretty correct. I put myself on pancreatin, you can buy it online. I take it to help bring down the bloating which seems more of an issue some days than others.

Ah. Well the bright side is that fig bread is probably going to be OK for you. On the flip side, I don't know why you are having problems with digestion. You might follow up with a physician. There are medications such as Reglan that can help your stomach and intestines move a little faster and in essence "wake up," but you probably need to find out if your pancreas is having issues. Any pain in your mid stomach region or under your right shoulder blade might be associated with this.

If all is well, maybe figs and prunes aren't the food for you. Keep plugging away and good luck!

spunky Contributor

I've never eaten figs too much, but I always did love prunes, especially chocolate-covered.

For whatever reason, though, I can relate at least to your prune problem... seems the last several times I ate them I got really messed up. I kept telling myself it just couldn't be the prunes, but then it happened so many times I decided that for some reason, I can't eat prunes anymore.

I've been gluten free for 2 1/2 years... doing pretty well, but within the past 2 1/2 years suddenly began having trouble with soy, other beans, eggs, xylitol, and prunes. Now I can actually eat soy again, if I don't go overboard with things like soy flour... but some soy here and there doesn't bother me at this point. Also, i can now eat eggs once again.

I can eat raisins fine, with no problem, but the prunes have had terrible effects! Don't know when/if I'll get the nerve to try them again someday.

gfp Enthusiast

Both figs and prunes are natually infected with candida perhaps this might be a clue?

• 7 years later...
Tlemake Newbie

You might have problems with other FODMAP foods as well, dried fruit, wheat/gluten and lactose all being FODMAP triggers. I think Rya just about nailed the process occurring that is causing the discomfort. Your digestive system might not be making enough of the appropriate enzymes needed to break down the figs and prunes, letting them pass to your large intestine mostly undigested. Look up the diet!

Personal disclosure: I suffer from the same issue. Eliminating many of these problem foods for a while usually allows for some of them to be reintroduced later in moderation. Usually two weeks FODMAP free is enough to let me eat a little bit of prunes, broccoli or apples without issue. So have hope!

Archived