This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Why My Husband Is Awesome

samcarter

samcarter Contributor

My husband went to the grocery last night with a list from me--all just basic stuff we needed, nothing special. I had stuff like rice, lentils, fruit, and I don't usually ask him to get specialty gluten free products, because I don't want to give him extra things to think about while he's looking for bargains. :P

He brought home an Amy's Rice crust pizza, which I had been looking for the last few weeks but never found! The rest of the family usually has pizza on Saturday nights and I've just been eating something else I make. It was so sweet of him. When I thanked him he said "Well, when I see something like that, I think, 'Hey, my wife can eat that,' and so of course I get it." Aww.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ShayFL Enthusiast

What a great Hubby. :)

If mine would only do the shopping......

samcarter Contributor

Shay, my husband does the shopping for several reasons: 1) I hate going to the store with three kids, it's nearly impossible to keep my mind on finding bargains and the kids. 2) It saves gas if he stops on his way home from work, rather than me going out during the day or after he gets home. 3) He's just better at it; spends way less money than me and doesn't give in too many impulse purchases, like I do! I do a mid-week produce run, and that's when I pick up any special gluten-free things I might need (like snack bars).

ShayFL Enthusiast

DH and I used to shop "together", but he started working more "at the office" and I started working less due to the economy....so it just fell into my lap. I dont mind too much. I hate driving, but I enjoy hand picking my food. He is good for quick runs now and again on his way home from work.....

Im not complaining....he is a hard worker and good provider. :)

JNBunnie1 Community Regular
My husband went to the grocery last night with a list from me--all just basic stuff we needed, nothing special. I had stuff like rice, lentils, fruit, and I don't usually ask him to get specialty gluten free products, because I don't want to give him extra things to think about while he's looking for bargains. :P

He brought home an Amy's Rice crust pizza, which I had been looking for the last few weeks but never found! The rest of the family usually has pizza on Saturday nights and I've just been eating something else I make. It was so sweet of him. When I thanked him he said "Well, when I see something like that, I think, 'Hey, my wife can eat that,' and so of course I get it." Aww.

My boyfriend does that sometimes. Makes you feel way more special than flowers sometimes, huh?

dksart Apprentice

I hate you......(please don't take that the wrong way)

:rolleyes:

I hate you......(please don't take that the wrong way)

No worries. Does yours not get it?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dksart Apprentice
No worries. Does yours not get it?

Not even a little. <_<

Well, he thinks he does, but he still gets breadcrumbs everywhere and even though I have a dedicated cabinet for the non-gluten-free things, he NEVER remembers to put anything back there. Then I have to wind up touching them to put them away. He does get his peanut butter/jam/butter etc. out before touching the bread and he tries to wash his hands after handling gluteny foods. I just soooo wish they could be out of here! :(

Not even a little. <_<

Well, he thinks he does, but he still gets breadcrumbs everywhere and even though I have a dedicated cabinet for the non-gluten-free things, he NEVER remembers to put anything back there. Then I have to wind up touching them to put them away. He does get his peanut butter/jam/butter etc. out before touching the bread and he tries to wash his hands after handling gluteny foods. I just soooo wish they could be out of here! :(

That's tough. My boyfriend doesn't even like to have gluteny snacks for work. He likes the food I make us. Now, his driving on the other hand.................

:o

sickchick Community Regular

AWESOME FOR YOU GIRL! :P

wilem008 Contributor

Im lucky enough to have two people in my life who support me like that! My mum and my boyfriend!

I have dinner at my parents place once a week and my mum is so sweet, she always makes me a gluten free meal and to top it off, makes me a gluten free cake for dessert and a loaf of gluten free bread for me to take home for the week! So sweet!

My boyfriend will only take me to restaurants when he knows I can order stuff - like Thai or Vietnamese.

A few weeks back he invited me to have a family dinner for his cousin's birthday - they were all having pizza and I was worried I wasnt going to be able to eat anything. He said "leave it up to me baby, ive got you covered"....when he came to pick me up he had not only bought me to gluten-free pizzas (frozen ones) but he had heated them and everything! He also bought me gluten-free dohnuts for dessert! He is just the sweetest, most considerate man!

Its great isnt it - having people who support you and care about how you feel! :-D

greeneyes33 Newbie

Wow, I'm jealous!!! I wish mine would get it! He slobs his gluteny sutff all over the place. I think my 16 yr old DSS is better than he is. He thinks the whole cross contamination thing is a joke. Needless to say, I'm still not feeling all that great. I try to keep things seperate. I have my own cabinet etc, but the rest of them (5 of us total in the house) still eat gluten.

I'm seeing a nutritionist that specializes in Celiac on Monday, I'm taking DH with me ;)

dksart Apprentice
Wow, I'm jealous!!! I wish mine would get it! He slobs his gluteny sutff all over the place. I think my 16 yr old DSS is better than he is. He thinks the whole cross contamination thing is a joke. Needless to say, I'm still not feeling all that great. I try to keep things seperate. I have my own cabinet etc, but the rest of them (5 of us total in the house) still eat gluten.

I'm seeing a nutritionist that specializes in Celiac on Monday, I'm taking DH with me ;)

Sounds interesting, could you start a new thread about your visit with the nutritionist? I really want to know what they say. :)

gfp Enthusiast
My boyfriend does that sometimes. Makes you feel way more special than flowers sometimes, huh?

Perhaps it's a European thing but ???

In my last 3 serious relationships (including one marriage) I have done 90%+ of the cooking and 80%+ of the shopping.

I do my own sewing, 100% of the house repairs... (to the point in my last relationship where I gavew up asking since apparently it's a guy thing...

Non of my partners have ever said this was awesome.... The last two left me, doubtless as the present one will...

Perhaps I should do less cooking and shopping?

greeneyes33 Newbie

Yeah, sure I will start a new thread about the nutritionist when I'm done seeing her.

veggienft Rookie

Perhaps it's a European thing but ???

In my last 3 serious relationships (including one marriage) I have done 90%+ of the cooking and 80%+ of the shopping.

I do my own sewing, 100% of the house repairs... (to the point in my last relationship where I gavew up asking since apparently it's a guy thing...

Non of my partners have ever said this was awesome.... The last two left me, doubtless as the present one will...

Perhaps I should do less cooking and shopping?

Will you marry me?

samcarter Contributor

What a nice, rude answer! Are you suggesting that somebody will somehow track down my unnamed husband and steal him from me because I've anonymously posted about his supportive nature? I'm sorry if something similar has happened to you.

If you're bothered by posts by people who are not complaining about the lack of support in their family, I suggest you avoid posts that have titles like mine.

gfp Enthusiast
Will you marry me?

sorry, waiting for CarlaB to get divorced ....

This might take a very long time since her partner is awesome :D

But seriously.... I wonder if I do too much ???

I'm actually a really good cook.... (as in really good, i now that sounds conceited but really I am). I love cooking which helps but I wonder if this is somewhat intimidating???

Because of this I find it hard to cook with anyone who is not a professional chef.. for instance I dice an onion in 1-2 seconds so if a girlfriend/partner is helping I get all out of timing if my gluten-free is going to dice the onion.

When I cook with professionals I just say "dice this".... and its done.. no questions or delay so by the time the oil is hot its ready...

I do the shopping because I'm demanding on ingredients.... I'm the person on the veg stand hand picking each item and testing it for ripeness or texture ....

I bet I'm sounding a little less perfect now :D

My present relationship I'm really trying to stand back... but I'm a late 60's kid from a single parent family. It's instilled in me that male and female roles don't exist... so I feel just as put out when a partner won't help with DIY...

I think this is probably as much of a curse as a blessing.. somewhat like Midas and gold.

I also have an eidetic memory, people think this is so so great....

It's great for exams ... sure... It is not so great for relationships.

Now I've known since I was young, flaunting my recall is not cool. My mum always counseled me to keep it under a bushel so to speak so I do. However I find my cooking and what we in the UK call home economics skills go down just as badly in the long term with serious girlfriends. I can't say my sewing is as good as my cooking but its usually better than my girlfriends.... the reason for this being I spent summers with my gran when my mum was working and we did sewing, darning, knitting or crochet each day.

It always starts out being 'cool'.... like my girlfriend gets a dress and needs it altering .(I'm extremely fastidious).. but I think over time this breeds resentment over what my girlfriends see as female roles????

gfp Enthusiast
What a nice, rude answer! Are you suggesting that somebody will somehow track down my unnamed husband and steal him from me because I've anonymously posted about his supportive nature? I'm sorry if something similar has happened to you.

If you're bothered by posts by people who are not complaining about the lack of support in their family, I suggest you avoid posts that have titles like mine.

I only saw this as a humorous post :D ...

I'm sure veggienft meant nothing but humor... hence the little smiley :D

samcarter Contributor
I only saw this as a humorous post :D ...

I'm sure veggienft meant nothing but humor... hence the little smiley :D

Well, in my experience, a "rolling eyes" smiley added to a song that tells women if they brag about their husbands they're stupid...doesn't equate humor. It equates, "Stop talking about it already." Which is fine with me.

sorry, waiting for CarlaB to get divorced ....

This might take a very long time since her partner is awesome :D

But seriously.... I wonder if I do too much ???

I'm actually a really good cook.... (as in really good, i now that sounds conceited but really I am). I love cooking which helps but I wonder if this is somewhat intimidating???

Because of this I find it hard to cook with anyone who is not a professional chef.. for instance I dice an onion in 1-2 seconds so if a girlfriend/partner is helping I get all out of timing if my gluten-free is going to dice the onion.

When I cook with professionals I just say "dice this".... and its done.. no questions or delay so by the time the oil is hot its ready...

I do the shopping because I'm demanding on ingredients.... I'm the person on the veg stand hand picking each item and testing it for ripeness or texture ....

I bet I'm sounding a little less perfect now :D

My present relationship I'm really trying to stand back... but I'm a late 60's kid from a single parent family. It's instilled in me that male and female roles don't exist... so I feel just as put out when a partner won't help with DIY...

I think this is probably as much of a curse as a blessing.. somewhat like Midas and gold.

I also have an eidetic memory, people think this is so so great....

It's great for exams ... sure... It is not so great for relationships.

Now I've known since I was young, flaunting my recall is not cool. My mum always counseled me to keep it under a bushel so to speak so I do. However I find my cooking and what we in the UK call home economics skills go down just as badly in the long term with serious girlfriends. I can't say my sewing is as good as my cooking but its usually better than my girlfriends.... the reason for this being I spent summers with my gran when my mum was working and we did sewing, darning, knitting or crochet each day.

It always starts out being 'cool'.... like my girlfriend gets a dress and needs it altering .(I'm extremely fastidious).. but I think over time this breeds resentment over what my girlfriends see as female roles????

I think your problem is you're picking up the wrong women. Try hitting on the women in the garden section with dirt under their nails or in an auto parts shop or something. Definitely not an all-made-up one in a bar or a preppy one in a Starbucks. You need to stereotype.

Lori L. Rookie

Isn't it wonderful to have someone who not only believes you, but who will look out for you!! My hubby is wonderful. He travels alot, unfortunately, but when he's home he doesn't mind the grocery shopping or the cooking.

When I first started the gluten-free diet (I've only been on it 2 months), he was going to the store and I asked him to pick up some of my Aveeno brand lotion. I'd been having problems with my skin so I had been using that with no fragrance for about a year. He called me from the store and said "honey, you can't use this - it has oats in it". I hadn't even thought about lotions! So he looked until he found one I could use. By the way, since I've been on this diet, I've cautiously tried my Victorias Secret lotion that I used to love, and I think I'm okay with it now. I haven't used it regularly yet, though. I feel very lucky to have him!!

Archived