Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RissaRoo

Stuffed Mushrooms

stuffedmushroomscooked.jpg

stuffedmushrooms.jpg

OK, hopefully the pictures worked!

Here's the recipe:

Well, it's not such a stretch to make these gluten free, I can't think of any reason why stuffed mushrooms need to have gluten in them (although I *have* eaten at restaurants where they did...breadcrumbs I guess...so maybe it is unusual). Dairy free is a little more challenging but can be done!

These are easy, but so savory!

You need:

~About 15 to 20 large and/or medium mushrooms

~One package (8 oz) of cream cheese or cream cheese substitute (Toffuti, etc.)

~1 1/4 cups grated Parmesan cheese (or sheep or goat cheese...Mizethra is good. If you need to omit the cheese, you might want to add some gluten free sausage or bacon to make up for it. Garnish with parsley flakes instead of cheese.)

~2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce (Lea and Perrins is gluten-free)

~Garlic Powder or one clove fresh garlic

You do:

Wash and stem the mushrooms. Let the tops dry while you prepare the filling. Soften the cream cheese in the microwave in a glass bowl. Chop the mushroom stems very finely, and mix them in with the cream cheese. Add one cup of the Parmesan, the garlic powder or crushed garlic clove, and the Worcestershire sauce. Stir until well combined. Place the mushroom caps on a baking dish or sheet, and stuff each cap with the mixture. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup of cheese over the mushrooms, and bake at 350 until the filling is brown and bubbly (somewhere around 20 minutes). Enjoy!

If you can't have dairy and are using the Toffuti and no cheese, you might want to use bacon crumbles (Hormel prepared bacon crumbles is a good gluten-free product) or some cooked, crumbled sausage instead. Just mix the meat in with the cheese and proceed as usual, but sprinkle some parsley flakes on top instead of the cheese. If you can do the diary, you can go ahead and add the meat too if you want! They are very rich with both, but good.

RissaRoo...used to be Anerissara before my computer crashed ;o)

gluten-free since 2004

DH, eczema, dairy intolerance and lymphocytic colitis

Son has it too, plus GERD and an allergy to dairy and soy :o(

"And now these three remain: Faith, Hope and Love. But the greatest of these is LOVE"

....1 Corinthians 13:13

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

OK, so I guess I can't figure this out! Any suggestions? One more try and then I"m out of ideas...

stuffedmushroomscooked.jpg

stuffedmushrooms.jpg

gluten-free since 2004

"And now these three remain: Faith, Hope and Love. But the greatest of these is LOVE"

Sigh. I guess you can copy and paste? Rats!

gluten-free since 2004

The board does not allow images to be included inside posts. If the image is available on an accessible source like photobucket, then links can be included using the [ url ] tag--the reader can click on these links to see the image. The %7Boption%7D tag is inoperative on this board.

Here is one of your images as a clickable link

Click on the Quote Reply button to see the syntax in the quoted post. You can then hit your back button to return to the topic without posting a reply.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

those look really good. do you think they'd be good dairy/soy free? what else do you think I could use as a cheese sub?

Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT

Gluten-free since June 2006

Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991

Dairy-free for good since summer 2008

Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008

Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(

Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

Cute plates!!!

symptoms-october 5th, 2007

negative endoscopy and colonoscopy-december 2007

positive bloodwork-january 2008

diagnosed celiac-january 8, 2008

"At the end of the day, the fact that we're still here is reason enough to celebrate."