This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Can You Still Break Out In Dh For A While After Going gluten-free?

GravStars

GravStars Contributor

Hi everyone.

After several years of wondering about celiac and brief periods of being gluten-free, I've finally made it about 3 months with no gluten (I could never make it longer than a few weeks at a time in the past, for various reasons). I'm not feeling that much better but I could be getting CC'd here as other people are pretty messy and leave crumbs and food residue on the counters all the time. But anyway... I have these itchy red bumps on my arms that I've suspected are DH. I'm still getting them. They started on my legs 2 years ago, then moved to my arms, and recently I've even had some on my abdomen and back of neck. They are very much like bug bites except I know they are not, and they are always on both arms (though usually only one to three major bumps at a time on each arm, and they itch but not ALL the time and not painfully like I've read DH can be). Actually about a week after going gluten-free this time I had my first (and largest single) outbreak on my forearms (before that it was always the outer sides of my upper arms), which seemed strange. Also, on a few occasions I've had tiny water blisters appear on the backs of my hands and even tiny, waterless, clear (almost invisible) bumps on the hands and elbows (but these don't itch).

So assuming this is DH, can it take a while to completely clear up, or is it more likely that I'm still getting glutened?

mike

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

darlindeb25 Collaborator

Welcome to the forum Mike, and yes, you are probably getting gluten from CC. Once you are gluten free, the DH should clear up. It will also probably be the first sign of being glutened from now on. You may have to designate and area in the kitchen just for you, and always clean the area before using it...sometimes it takes others a long time to realize the importance of your being totally gluten-free.

lovegrov Collaborator

It's my understanding that DH an take months and months to clear even if you are gluten-free because you still have Iga deposits under the skin. Iodine can also trigger attacks until you clear up completely.

richard

GravStars Contributor

thanks to both of you for the responses. i will be more aware of avoiding CC as well as giving the DH more time to clear up.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
It's my understanding that DH an take months and months to clear even if you are gluten-free because you still have Iga deposits under the skin. Iodine can also trigger attacks until you clear up completely.

richard

As Richard says it can take a long time. It can take up to 2 years for some. But the outbreaks should be less severe after a while. The iodine means you should get some uniodized salt to use on your food. That will make a difference. Be careful too with topicals and shampoos and stuff. It is easy to get tiny amounts in your system which is enough to keep those deposits active and forming new ones.

flourgirl Apprentice

Just wanted to add a note. I've found that anti-inflammatories also cause outbreaks; like Ibuprofen and Aleve. I'm not sure about other types as I've avoided all pain relievers. For me they all cause more pain throughout my system than the pain I was trying to relieve. When I first started the gluten-free diet I had DH everywhere. I had several outbreaks until there was no place left on my body that had not had it. The blisters and the areas did get smaller with each outbreak (iodized salt was the main culprit, I think), until I had a gluten accident (from Outbackand their supposed gluten-free menu :angry: ). I then had another huge outbreak that took almost 3 months before it even started to get better. I also have digestive problems, severe pain and inflammation of joints, bone pain, anemia and briuses, headaches....on and on. All of it came back with a vengence thanks to someones carelessness at Outback.

Anyway.....good luck getting better...and here's to good health!

GravStars Contributor

thank you.

i do take ibuprofen pretty much on a daily basis because i get stress headaches. i dislike taking medicine of any kind, but ibuprofen has become a habit. i will try cutting it out and see. i've found some natural methods that help with the stress anyway.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor
thank you.

i do take ibuprofen pretty much on a daily basis because i get stress headaches. i dislike taking medicine of any kind, but ibuprofen has become a habit. i will try cutting it out and see. i've found some natural methods that help with the stress anyway.

If you have been taking this daily be aware that you may need to taper off. If your headaches get worse when you suddenly stop it, a rebound headache, then don't give up taper your dosing.

In addition if you are getting daily headaches and DH outbreaks you may be getting CC'd somewhere. I have pets and just feeding them gluten food and having contact with them was enough to keep my DH reactive. It took me forever to figure that one out.

I hope things improve soon.

Archived