This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Long Before You See A Change?

nitu-752002

nitu-752002 Apprentice

My DD is 27mths and is underweight. She also is dairy intolerant and possibly soy and like many other toddlers she is a picky eater and I constantly worry about her fat/calorie intake. Other than being underweight, she has some GI issues which seem to come and go. Sometimes she is constipated, sometimes she has normal bowel movements and sometimes they are soupy. Anyway, I couldn

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ShayFL Enthusiast

9 days is a short time. Some dont notice changes for months. It took me a good 6 weeks to notice a difference. Some get "worse" before "better". Hang in there. Yes, other foods could be an issue too. It isnt easy to figure it all out.

As a general game plan, I think cutting out gluten, dairy and soy at first is a good idea. Then add dairy back in after a few months of feeling good to see if it is a problem. Same for soy.

MarsupialMama Apprentice

I wanted a response overnight, but it really does take time. I think it was about 3 weeks into the diet before we noticed any changes in our daughter. Not all symptoms improve at the same time. Her appetite came back at around 3 weeks, and her attitude and sleeping patterns got better. It took a few more months before we saw improvements in things like her belly bloating and constipation and dark circles under eyes. She has gained a little weight - much slower than most children seem to pick up, but the fact that there is a little keeps me going.. :-)

I would second the idea of going dairy and soy free. This is what we did, because I have heard that soy can affect your thyroid and if the problem was not celiac after all, I didn't want to be damage the "other likely culprit" (her thyroid). These foods are also hard to digest, so anyone with a sensitive digestive system (ALL celiacs!) can have trouble. Many have found that they get some relief with going gluten free, and complete relief after going soy and/or dairy free.

Tristan's Mama Newbie

My son has been on the gluten-free diet for a month now, his stool changed consistency just after 3 weeks.

SIERRANSYDSMOM Newbie
My DD is 27mths and is underweight. She also is dairy intolerant and possibly soy and like many other toddlers she is a picky eater and I constantly worry about her fat/calorie intake. Other than being underweight, she has some GI issues which seem to come and go. Sometimes she is constipated, sometimes she has normal bowel movements and sometimes they are soupy. Anyway, I couldn
Mommy2Ellie Rookie

It seems like I'm the minority hee, but my 16 month old daughter has been on it less than a week and we noticed some VERY MILD improvements. Her belly swelling is much less, and her appetite seems to be improving. Not sure about weight gain or anything else though as its definately way too soon to tell!

tan2406 Newbie

I noticed a HUGE change is my DS's willingness to eat within a few days and he had his first almost solid stool this past week (2.5 weeks into the gluten free diet). He's still having loose stools but I think it's getting better. After reading a lot of posts from other parents, I'm seeing that it can take awhile to notice a complete change. Hopefully you'll see some major improvements in the next few weeks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived