Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

emilyjean

What If Going Gluten Free Isn't Enough?

I can finally come on here and say my stomach/gut is doing really well! My stomach was sick for so long that I thought I'd never feel well again. I had to do a strict elimination diet to find out what my other food triggers were. I discovered that I can't tolerate soy, dairy, and nuts in addition to the gluten. Once I eliminated those foods in addition to the gluten I started to see improvement. It still took a year, though, before I could see real progress!

Em

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I can finally come on here and say my stomach/gut is doing really well! My stomach was sick for so long that I thought I'd never feel well again. I had to do a strict elimination diet to find out what my other food triggers were. I discovered that I can't tolerate soy, dairy, and nuts in addition to the gluten. Once I eliminated those foods in addition to the gluten I started to see improvement. It still took a year, though, before I could see real progress!

Hi Emily,

It's crazy how a lot of us have egg/nut/soy among other things. I really think if we experiement enough and really keep track of what we are putting in our bodies, we can overcome the intolerances....I HOPE :)

Living your best life should be your first thought of the day!!!

Have responded extremely well to Gluten Free diet :)

I too have intolerances to gluten and dairy. Back at the beginning I couldn't cope with eggs and most fruits except, funnily enough, blueberries and banana (better tolerated when eaten with yogurt)! Although I don't cope with commercial yogurt, I do cope with my own home-made long-fermented probiotic SCD legal yogurt and some fermented curd (cottage) cheese.

I have now been following the SCD for about 4 months - not always as rigidly as I wish, but can now cope with some other foods, like eggs, a little hard cheese, grapes, and occasionally raspberries and strawberries as long as they are not too acid. I can now enjoy sliced apple (depending on the type) with peanut butter, too. I do sometimes have nuts but I do wonder about mold on the shelled ones and whether they might be problematic. The SCD uses almond flour and I seem to have been ok with that generally.

It is good to see that after a year you are finally seeing the result of your labors! I am hoping to see the same from following the SCD. Although my health still fluctuates somewhat, I am definitely a lot better than I was 6 months ago.

Did you have problems with fatigue and low energy? If so, when did you start to experience an improvement in your energy levels?

Ali - 50 - struggled with what I now know to be GI symptoms and poor carb digestion for at least 35 years! Diabetic type II (1997). Mother undx Celiac - lifelong diabetic Type 1 & anemic (plus 1 stillborn and 10 miscarriages after me). Father definitely very GI.

Stopped gluten & dairy, Jan 08, but still other issues so dropped most carbs and sugar and have been following the Specific Carb Diet (SCD) since March 08. Recovery slow but steady and I can now eat a much broader range of foods especially raw which are good for my digestion and boost my energy level.

Not getting better? Try the SCD - it might just change your life.........