This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hair Loss

pixiegirl

pixiegirl Enthusiast

I know this topic has been talked about many times before. But I do have some new info and a few questions and I'm looking for more ideas.

I have always had thin, fine hair. After I had my daughter 17 years ago it got a bit more thin but not too bad. Now I'm in my early 50's and it is thinning out so much its scary. I'm terrified of being bald or having my scalp show thru but I'm headed to that. My hair is thinner all over, but there is more loss in front. I've started trying everything...

First off I have been gluten-free for 6+ years but..... the caveat, not with external products... I try to do gluten-free hair products but I need a lot to plump up the little hair I have and a lot of those products seem to contain wheat. Worse I get my hair foiled a few times and year and need some deep conditioning cuz I have very dry hair (and dry skin too).

Ok so first I'm switching to all gluten-free products and I think I have a decent choice of stuff from reading other posts (dove, sauve, gariner) but can anyone recommend a deep conditioning treatment, the sort you put on your hair and leave on for 15 minutes or so?

I'm using minoxidil and although I read here it contains gluten I wrote to a generic company that sells it and they say its gluten-free. I'm thinking of using nioxin, I also read here that it contains gluten but I wrote to the company 2 days ago and got a letter back that it too is gluten-free. I have some hair regrowth with minoxidil but it is very thin fine baby like hair (which from what i've read is what you get with minoxidil) but any hair is better then none.

I just started to take biotin. So I hope that helps.

On top of all this I have eosinophilic gastroenteritis and have to take a drug called Gastrocrom every day, now I've researched it carefully and it is NOT associated with hair loss. Its sort of an anti inflammatory for all my food allergies but I've not taken it lately regularly so that might be working against my hair! I'm going to go back on it regularly and see what happens.

Does anyone have any other suggestions, this is really effecting me its terrible to lose a lot of hair. I still look ok but if any more goes I'm in trouble.

So does anyone have any other suggestions? I have talked to my DR. but she says oh this happens as women get older... I'm sure thats true but.... my seems excessive and I am still having my periods.

Thanks for any help.

Susan :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pixiegirl Enthusiast

Oh lastly,.... I forgot to add, I've used very expensive La Mer products on my face for years (I maintain its why I look a good 10 years younger then I am) and although Estee Lauder who owns them told me in an email they are gluten-free, they clearly list wheat in their very long list of ingredients.

I have the driest skin ever. I'd like to know if anyone has a suggestion for face stuff that is more then just emollient it has to be like the La Mer stuff is, so incredibly rich and moisture laden. I've tried every Olay product, neutrogena, Juice, Bliss, none of them deliver enough moisture, not even close, my skin is flaky with them hours after I use them.

So far the only product that keeps my skin dewy all day long is La Mer, so I'd love to try any gluten-free suggestions for that you may have!

Many thanks, Susan

Mother of Jibril Enthusiast

Hi Susan,

Hair loss and dry skin are classic signs of hypothyroidism. Have you had your TSH level checked? In August I found out mine was 44.3 (normal is 0.1 to 3.0). I've gone through several periods in my life where I was losing handfulls of hair :angry: especially after my two full-term pregnancies. I also have problems with a dry face, scalp, feet, and eyes. I've tried SO many "dandruff" products... but until the hypothyroidism diagnosis I didn't realize what the real problem was.

If this is your problem too, getting your thyroid hormones balanced again will help FAR more than any cleaning products or cosmetics. :)

One more thought...

Autoimmune disorders tend to cluster... your hair loss could also be from alopecia universalis. <_<

ShayFL Enthusiast

Thyroid was my FIRST thought as well. Dry skin and thinning hair are CLASSIC symptoms unfortunately. You might say that your thyroid was tested and your doctor said everything was fine. I was told that foir 12 years while being severely hypothyroid. Check out this site:

www.stopthethyroidmadness.com

And see about getting the proper testing and interpretation of your tests.

Also, low Ferritin (iron stores) can cause severe hairloss. Anything under 50 is suspect. Maintaining a Ferritin of 70 for 3 - 6 months has shown to regrow the lost hair.

Low Ferritin is also associated with hypothyroid. Do you know your ferritin level?

B vitamins are also essential to healthy hair. Look for co-enzymatic B's as they are easier to absorb. Country Life has some and are gluten-free.

I did some surfing and found there is a connection between hypothryoid and eosinophilic gastroenteritis. So make sure they test your thyroid antibodies as well. Autoimmune diseases cluster.

Hope you find solution soon!

pixiegirl Enthusiast

Thanks all, I'm going to check out that web site because I know I have the symptoms of a thyroid problem however I have been tested for it every single year and I'm always told (by two different doctors) that its fine and that the levels are well within normal.

I've always had dry skin, even before I had thinning hair, I had it in my 20's!

Susan

ShayFL Enthusiast

Several other things come to mind as well: fatty acid deficiency. Too many Omega 6 (vegetable oils) and saturated fats and not enough Omega 3 (flax, fish, walnuts). And/or the inability to digest fats well. Research that. You might benefit from digestive enzymes that contain lipase to help you get the healthy fatty acids.

Also low HCL (stomach acid). It naturally decreases as we age, but can be low for other reasons (including hypothyroid):

Here are some of the common symptoms and disorders caused by low stomach acid1,3:

* Bloating, belching, and flatulence immediately after meals

* Heartburn (often thought to be caused by too much stomach acid)

* Indigestion, diarrhea, or constipation

* Undigested food in stools

* Acne

* Rectal itching

* Chronic candida

* Hair loss in women

* Multiple food allergies

* Iron deficiency

* Weak, peeling, or cracked fingernails

* Chronic fatigue

* Adrenal fatigue

* Dry skin

* Various autoimmune diseases

***Please be aware that most labs in the US are using old and outdated TSH ranges. Your doctors say you are fine because they are not aware of the new TSH ranges. They just look at your labs and dont see anything out of range. Do go to stopthethyroidmadness. Get copies of your labs!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Also low HCL (stomach acid). It naturally decreases as we age, but can be low for other reasons (including hypothyroid):

Sorry to get off on this tangent...

I'm startled by the list of symptoms connected with low stomach acid. How does one go about fixing that? I'm working on my thyroid disorder, but is there anything else?

ShayFL Enthusiast

Someone in another thread did a home test first to see if she had low HCL. I had never heard of it, but she said it seemed indicative for her and when she added supplemental HCL to her meals, she got better. Her chronic "acid reflux" went away with the first pill and never came back.

She said: first thing in the morning take a glass of cold water (6 oz) and add 1/4 tsp of baking soda. Time yourself for 5 minutes. You should start to belch at some point. If you start belching immediately, then you dont need HCL. If it takes you longer than 2 or 3 minutes to start belching, you do. She said she didnt belch at all. So she knew she needed it. She tried 1 250 mg HCL capsule plus Pepsin with meals and it was enough for her. Got rid of all her symptoms.

NOW....I didnt do this test. Do your own research and talk to your doctor. There are tests your doctor can perform to see if you have low HCL.

Natural ways to increase HCL with meals (protein meals) are vitamin B1 100 mg with each meal, to sip the juice of a lemon with water throughout your meal. OR you can use AVC (apple cider vinegar 1 Tlb with water). Some herbs also get the acids flowing: ginger, dandelion and swedish bitters. These are safer methods to try over HCL capsules. So try them first.

If you dont need extra acid, you will get a burning sensation in your stomach. Do not panic, just take some baking soda 1/4 tsp in water to neutralize the acid. If this happens, you dont need a supplement.

I gave the baking soda test a try this morning... no burping!

I'm excited to give this treatment a try and see what effect(s) it has :lol: This could explain SOooo much!!!

ShayFL Enthusiast

I tried it this morning too. No burping here. So I am going to add some HCL plus Pepsin to my protein meals for a week. I took one with lunch and dinner yesterday with no ill effects. Will like to see what a week will do. I am using a low dose of 250 mg. I might raise it after a week depending on how it goes.

I have taken HCL before years ago when I had obvious trouble digesting protein. Over time my body kicked back in and I weened off the HCL. Maybe I need a "booster" to get things going again.

Let's keep each other posted.

***Sorry we hijacked your thread Susan. But maybe it will help you too.***

Archived