Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

channy77

Biopsy Results

Hello everyone, i'm new so hopefully I do this right. I went to the GI Dr. for various symptoms, he did a colonoscopy and that turned out normal, so he said he wanted to test me for something called celiac disease. I went home and looked it up on the net. Well the doc's nurse called me at work and said that the blood test results were back and the numbers were really high so they wanted to do an upper endoscopy w/ biopsy as soon as possible. While I was still out of it from sedation, the dr. talked with my hubby and told him that he was 99% sure it was celiac disease, but would know for sure when the results came back. Here's what he wrote for results

"I am delighted to report that your small bowel biopsies are normal, excluding the diagnosis for celiac disease. This, of course, is wonderful news in terms of your quality of life going forward and the lab tests are abnormal, but not definate in this regard. It is conceivable that you carry a predisposition for developing celiac disease, but there is no clinacal expression of this genetic predisposition and this would not in any way be associated with the bloating and the nausea that you experiendced." Then he went on to say he would say I had IBS, I tried 3 dif meds and none did anything. I also had an x-ray of my small bowel and it came back fine. I'm confused could I really have celiac disease and the biopsy was taken from a spot that had no damage? Or that there isn't any damage yet??

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Biopsies can be good but they can also miss a diagnosis altogether if there is no damage yet or if they took samples from a spot that contained no damage. With your blood work really high I would definately not x celiac off at all. You could very well have celiac disease and with your blood tests high like you said I highly suspect celiac disease. I was diagnosed by my GI doctor through a blood test.

Doctors commonly misdiagnose celiac for IBS. I would find a doctor who is knowledgeable in celiac and show him your blood tests and tell him about your symptoms.

Similar with us - biopsy "within normal range" No celiacs we were told. Also, told only 3 samples were taken, since then I read should have been many more and nothing else was found.

We had 2 weeks between biopsy and results. I had gone nearly gluten-free and begun to see improvement, it went back to worse when I returned her to a normal diet. After 2 weeks of loose stools again, we tried gluten-free. She has been gluten-free since August and showed improvement very quickly.

I have no official diagnosis but a healthier child.

Good luck

It sould just be that you don't have any damage yet. If you go gluten-free now, you will feel better in a much shorter time, and prevent damage from occurring. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!

Thanks for the info, is/has anyone else uncomfortably bloated all the time? If so, did it go away after becoming gluten-free? How long did it take after going gluten-free?? I'd like to try it and see if I feel better. It looks soooo overwhelming tho :(

Yes the bloating is common and yes it does tend to settle down after being gluten-free for a while. It is the first symptom I notice when my daughter has been somewhere other than home and snuck something she wasn't supposed to. I get it as well, just not as badly as she.