This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Lack Of Sweating

kaplan1975

kaplan1975 Newbie

Anyone have this symptom? There is very little information out there regarding this symptom (not just as it is associated with celiac), unless you are a horse (I'm serious). When exercising I do not sweat and get additional symptoms consistent with heat stroke, etc. I make sure to drink plenty of fluids and am sure it is not related to being dehydrated...I have been on a strict gluten-free diet for over a year so intestines should be healed enough to absorb water, right???

I plan to change to a doctor in the area that is Celiac herself and finally be able to ask these questions and not feel like I am a hypochondriac. The official word for this is Anhidrosis...anyone else notice this

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

marciab Enthusiast

I had this problem for years and so I know how uncomfortable it is. I can't remember exactly when it went away ... my myoclonus started to go away after 7 months on the diet but most of my symptoms were with me for at least the first year or two. I'm still working on a couple ..

Good to know it has a name .. have you googled Anhidrosis gluten ?

dogle Apprentice
Anyone have this symptom? There is very little information out there regarding this symptom (not just as it is associated with celiac), unless you are a horse (I'm serious). When exercising I do not sweat and get additional symptoms consistent with heat stroke, etc. I make sure to drink plenty of fluids and am sure it is not related to being dehydrated...I have been on a strict gluten-free diet for over a year so intestines should be healed enough to absorb water, right???

I plan to change to a doctor in the area that is Celiac herself and finally be able to ask these questions and not feel like I am a hypochondriac. The official word for this is Anhidrosis...anyone else notice this

Hi, I don't know how old you are but anhidrosis happened to me during my teenage years, I also worried about that and I remember having digestive symptoms also. In fact, some of my family memebers say they have experienced the same. I remember going to the gym and also I had symtoms of heat stroke, I remember one day I almost faint in the restroom, I was shaking till they cool me down. I haven't had the intestinal biopsy but I have antiendomysial antibodies present in my blood.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

That used to be a problem for me, until I was 20 or so. I would get really hot, but never sweat, and I'd be beet red and feel like passing out. Wierd what that darn gluten stuff can do to you, huh?

kaplan1975 Newbie

I am glad to hear I am not the only person that has had this symptom...I am even happier to hear that it can get better. I used to play basketball for 4-6 hours in hot weather with no problems (teenage years, now 33) and now I cannot play for 15 minutes without feeling terribly sick.

The majority of information out there is in reference to how horses get this and there is a supplement that contains L-Tyrosine. I just ordered (waiting for delivery) a complete amino acid supplement that contains tyrosine so I am hoping to see some improvement. I see Tyrosine is also a supplement sometimes used to increase mood as well which is something I could use at times.

Thanks for all your stories as I am now realized the therapeutic benefits of sharing your experiences with others in similar situations.

ptkds Community Regular

My youngest dd's have this problem. But I don't think it is related to Celiac. They have both been gluten-free for about 2 years and they have had this problem all their lives. But they are only 2 and 3 yrs old. their pedi won't run any tests because she says there is nothing that can be done about it anyway.

TestyTommy Rookie

This used to by a HUGE problem for me. I have no idea why it happened, but it was definitely related to celiac. Before I went gluten-free, I would try to do any cardio exercise, and I could go for an hour and not have a drop of sweat on me. Of course, I'd have to drink like a gallon of water because I was so over-heated.

I've been gluten-free for 3 years (next week!) and I'm sweating normally. It took about 2 years for me, and I (nor my doctors) have any idea as to why it happened. best guess is it's thyroid related.

I found the same info as you (there's a patent for treating horses for anhydrosis using tyrosine). I used lots of tyrosine, but I don't recommend it. Basically, all it does is make your thyroid rev up and go hyper. So you will sweat -- but you'll also get shaky, stressed out and your hair will get dry but greasy.

It took me about 2 years gluten-free before I was sweating normally, so I'd suggest you give it some more time. How long were you undiagnosed?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kaplan1975 Newbie
This used to by a HUGE problem for me. I have no idea why it happened, but it was definitely related to celiac. Before I went gluten-free, I would try to do any cardio exercise, and I could go for an hour and not have a drop of sweat on me. Of course, I'd have to drink like a gallon of water because I was so over-heated.

I've been gluten-free for 3 years (next week!) and I'm sweating normally. It took about 2 years for me, and I (nor my doctors) have any idea as to why it happened. best guess is it's thyroid related.

I found the same info as you (there's a patent for treating horses for anhydrosis using tyrosine). I used lots of tyrosine, but I don't recommend it. Basically, all it does is make your thyroid rev up and go hyper. So you will sweat -- but you'll also get shaky, stressed out and your hair will get dry but greasy.

It took me about 2 years gluten-free before I was sweating normally, so I'd suggest you give it some more time. How long were you undiagnosed?

Thanks for your input as it is comforting to hear another story where this symptom was reversed with a gluten free diet.

I have been gluten-free for 18 months, but dont think I did I good job for the 1st 6 months...so 12 months with much better care...maybe sometime over the next year I will be able to exercise without risking heat stroke...I would like to start playing sports again to get a cardio workout.

I have been taking tyrosine right before bed and seems to really help me get deep, quality sleep with dreams (I have not been able to remember dreams for as long as I can remember). I took tyrosine during the day and it seemed to make me feel tired.

Archived