This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Scd Support Group

Guest gfinnebraska

PreOptMegs Explorer

jenvan-- on SCD I noticed dramatic differences in how I felt at the end of 2-3 weeks, and after buying and making my own yogurt, I feel 80000x better.

heather22- every morning I have eggs with either mushrooms, spinach, onions... and yogurt.

gfinnebraska-- I am craving dessert of any kind, so what out of the book have you found to be the best tasting. I make ice cream from a recipe I found on-line and I love it (of course eat all of it the same day I make it), but I am dying for something else. ALso tried peanut butter brownies... were okay, but I should have added nuts

shimma-- my bowels have been different a bit lately, but I have been really increasing my uptake of fruits, especially peaches, so I am sure it has thrown me off a bit. I wouldn't worry too much about it, just keep doing what you are doing. Your intestines will thank you later!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply
shimma Apprentice

Heather - overall, I am feeling much better. I've made more progress in the last three months than I made in my two years of being gluten-free (during which I made very little progress towards getting symptom free). The days of really bad gas are over - I haven't had that problem in weeks. My BMs are still loose sometimes, but the frequency has cut WAY down. I do eat a LOT of fruit, so I should probably blame the loose BMs on that.

I need ideas for good snacks at work. I've been eating way too much dried fruit (which is like candy for me! Sweet and tasty!)

PreOptMegs - have you tried the custard recipe out of BTVC? It's REALLY good.

Guest gfinnebraska

preoptmegs: I really haven't been eating any dessert. I have fruit if I crave something sweet. :) No help ~ sorry!! I am going to try some brownies, etc. some day though. I just have not had time to try new things right now ~ end of summer, getting kids back to school, etc. I should have more time soon!! Two sons back in college and daughter back in school... should give Mom a break! :)

Shimma: Hang in there. It is probably the stress. When I think of going off this eating plan, I get really sick. I am in for the long haul.

Thanks to all for being there for support!! This is hard, but all of you make it easier!!! ;)

PreOptMegs Explorer

I have not tried the custard. Does that require DCCC? I have never purchased that or ever seen that in a store before.

Guest gfinnebraska

PreOptMegs: It also goes by the name Farmer's Cheese. THAT I found!! I never could find the DCCC either. Try asking someone in the dairy section about Farmer's cheese. If you still can't find it, "google" it and you can find places that will ship it to you. Check them all out because some are really high on shipping. I ordered some through the mail, can't remember the co. name, and then found some in my local store!! I live in a SMALL town, so I was surprised that it was right under my nose the whole time!! :blink: Good luck!! :)

shimma Apprentice

Yeah, Farmer's cheese must be gaining in popularity. When I asked for it at my store, they said "People keep asking for that." And they keep it well stocked - but I can't tell if that's my doing or not. I do tend to buy 6 or 8 packages at a time.

I believe you can make custard out of yogurt if you can't find the Farmer's cheese. I know I saw a recipe somewhere, but I haven't tried it personally. Are you making your own yogurt?

PreOptMegs Explorer

I make my own yogurt. I was not losing weight eating all of the cheese like I was before, so I needed a good calcium source. I really like the yogurt and have improved immensely on the diet since getting a yogurt maker.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shimma Apprentice

Here's the custard recipe that uses yogurt instead of DCCC:

2 1/2 cups homemade yogurt

1/3 cup honey

5 eggs, beaten

pinch of salt

2 1/2 tsp SCD legal vanilla

Bake at 350 F (180 C) for 30-35 min. in a water bath (pan with water).

I got it off scdiet.org. Haven't tried it though - let me know if you try it and like it!

I've had the worst headache/stomache all day. These symptoms often come with my bowel irritation. I'm going to go back on the intro for a few days and see if this clears up.....here's hoping.....

Misa Rookie

Having gone up two dress sizes within 24 hours (I'm usually slim, but this happens when I eat potatoes and buckwheat too) and feeling totally lethargic through grazing on home-made Chinese food all yesterday, I remembered something about a carbohydrate diet here. I've checked out the SCD legal/illegal list and can definetaly see how this diet is super-healthy, boosting with vitamins. I also see how incredibly will-powered you must be.....phew :blink:

Could someone please help me out with a cheese question? Cheddar cheese is legal, but can I buy any kind of cheddar in the typical grocery store?

Misa :)

PS How interesting the "Whatever happened to the cure for coeliac disease?" chapter is.

PreOptMegs Explorer

shimma- thank you for the recipe.... I take my optometry admissions test tomorrow and as soon as I can get home, we are leaving for Florida, so I won't be able to try it for a while, but thank you very much none the less.

Misa- the book says that mild and medium cheddar cheese are allowed to be eaten as frequently as desired, but to sort of stay away from the sharp cheddar cheese. personally, I eat the mild if I can, but I also eat a lot of swiss cheese and occationally some provolone, but it is so easy to gain weight eating cheese, peanut butter, and raisins, so I must be very strict on quantity control.

Misa Rookie

PreOptMegs, thank you so much. I'm off cheddar cheese shopping tomorrow. Thanx again :D

Misa

Misa Rookie

Hi :D

Here's a chapter about colon health (from The Amazing liver and gallbladder flush book) I thought proclaimed the same theory as the SCD:

When we eat highly processed foods that have been stripped of most nutrients and natural fiber, the colon has difficulty moving the food mass or chyme along. Processed foods tend to make for a dry, hard or sticky chyme that does not pass easily through the intestinal tract. The muscles wrapped around the colon can easily squeeze and push fibrous, bulky chyme along, but they have great difficulty dealing with fibreless, gooey, sticky chyme. When chyme sits too long in the colon, it becomes harder and drier. If that were the only thing that happened - chyme turning into hard, dry feces - we would only need to worry about constipation (which milions of Americans suffer from). But there is more. After the chyme/feces gets plastered onto the walls of the colon, it begins to do several things, including:

1. Ferment, rot and harden, thereby becoming a breeding ground for parasites and pathogens, (disease-causing agents), and a storehouse for toxic chemicals that can pollute the blood and lymph and, thereby, poison the body.

2. Form a barrier that prevents the colon from interacting with and absorbing nutrients from chyme.

3. Restrict movement of the colon walls, making it impossible for the colon to rhythmically constract in order to speed the chyme along its way. How well could you do your job if you were covered with thick sludge? The following are som of the symptoms manifesting as a result of colon dysfunction:

o Lower back pain

o Neck and shoulder pain

o Skin problems

o Brain fog (difficulty concentrating)

o Fatigue

o Sluggishness

o Colds and flu

o Constipation or diarrhea

o Digestive problems

o Flatulence/gas

o Bloating

o Crohn's disease

o Ulcerative colitis

o Colitis/Irrritable Bowel Syndrome

o Diverticulitis/Diverticulosis

o Leaky Gut Sydrome

o Pain in lower stomach (especially left side)

The large intestine absorbs minerals and water. When the membrane of the large intestine is impacted with plaque, it cannot assimilate and absorb minerals (as well as some vitamins). When this occurs, deficiency diseases are created regardless how many supplements you take. Most diseases are, in fact, deficiency disorders. They arise when certain parts of the body suffer malnourishment, Particularly minerals.

Just realized when writing the above that it's kind of gooey really :blink: , but hope anyone reading gets the point.....

Guest gfinnebraska

Misa: I wish I hadn't been eating while reading your post!! :blink::huh::o

NOT appetizing!! ha! Thanks for the information... just helps me be more determined to "clean out" that area. Yikes!!

Misa Rookie

Soooorrrrryyyyy Kimberly (that's a really nice name!) I guess I should have put a warning at the top :lol:

It had a determination effect on me too.....even though I've only reached day three on the diet so far.

shimma Apprentice

I went on a road trip this weekend and had some no-nos at McD's - what a mistake! I wonder how many days I'll be paying for it.....

Guest gfinnebraska

Isn't it amazing how simple things we use to eat daily and love ~ with no side effects ~ now cause us great pain?!!?? I am sure our bodies are yelling at us to stop!!! I ate, the other night, a bag of micro. popcorn. Yum was it good!! BUT, I paid dearly later!! My stomach hurt and I felt full and icky. It took me 1 1/2 days to feel good again. NOT worth it. I am at my weakest during "that time" each month. Sigh... :ph34r:

Misa Rookie

Hi :)

Ok, this is only my fourth day on the SCD, but I see this thread has had/has many views. Some perhaps contemplaiting on whether to start this or not. So I thought I'd write a few lines on how my progress has been in such a short time.

I've for the most part of my life been slim even though I ate lots of food. I gather this is from being malnutritioned from celiac disease. But I always had swelling/puffiness on my lower body which no exercise would shift. I'd been seven weeks gluten-free prior and the gluten-free starches made my stomach bloat and body swell. After four days on the SCD and for the first time, the swelling and bloating has completely gone!!! I also have a sparkle in my previously "dead" looking eyes. My skin looks clearer and my teeth are actually whiter! Oh, and I've had no blood sugar highs and lows...

The flip side is that I've had problems with the really good stuff: peanut butter, eggs and cheddar cheese. I've got gallbladder/liver issues and the fat content doesn't go down too well with this (nausea and pain in liver area when snacking....alot...on these foods).

Anyway, the diet feels super-right for my system as I've got a touch more energy already. As if the machinery is running better with this type of fuel so to speak....

If anyone reading is still experiencing bloating and weight issues on the gluten-free diet, perhaps this can be something worth testing out. I haven't bought the book (on waiting list at library), just followed the legal/illegal list on the website.

Misa :D

PreOptMegs Explorer

You will continue to feel better and better and I am very happy that you started the diet. I wish everyone who had celiac started out with this diet because I think some people forget what it feels like to feel normal. I know someone posted the other week saying what percent they feel most days and the average was like 60%. I feel 110% each and every day and I know this wouldn't be without this diet. I wish we could spread the word.......

PreOptMegs Explorer

I was wondering if anyone has completed their first year of the diet and has tried to integrate in some of the "illegal" foods. I know the book says that once you are on this diet, then you shouldn't revert to all processed and "nasty" foods after a year on the diet. I am not sure if it will just not let you feel good or if it will get those bad bacteria going again, but I am just sort of curious!!!

Guest gfinnebraska

I've been on the SCD since mid-March. I am not close to my year yet (obviously!) but I was naughty and cheated a couple of times... I felt HORRIBLE!!

I am thinking that when the year is over we will not WANT to add all those "nasty" or "icky" foods back into our diet. Yes, I feel 110% too!! ;) I am thin, have "normal movements" and have energy. What more could you ask for???!!??

If, after my year is over and I add other foods, I start feeling icky and gain weight and bloat, at least I know what I can get back on and do to fix it!! :lol:

Misa: I am SO glad you are feeling good on the SCD. You will feel better and better the longer you are on it. Don't be upset if you get some "D" after a while. I didn't get it right away, but it did hit me later. One day at work I spent all afternoon running for the bathroom! :( BUT, I was cleaned out when that "phase" was over!!

PreOptMegs: Glad to hear you are still lovin' it!!! :)

Heather22 Rookie

I just made a bad move on my part. After spending the whole afternoon and evening PMSing and suffering from major cramps, I decided that I needed a treat. I went and got some unsweetened carob chips. Big mistake. Within 5 minutes, I had bad gas and my tummy bloated out to a pregnant belly. I can't believe it happened that fast! I learned my lesson. Tomorrow is bad to the basic diet. : (

Seemed like a good idea at the time, but ended up being not the slightest bit worth it.

Misa Rookie

Hi PreOptMegs That thought quickly crossed my mind too. For two months reading the other threads I could relate to most of the various symptoms that were discussed. Now, symptoms seem to be quickly going away and I'm kind of lost for words when reading them. I'm prepared for a rocky ride on this diet too, but I've felt improvement so far beyond the seven weeks just gluten-free. Of all the diets I've heard about or tried, this has gotto be the most hard-kicking, no nosense, simplest diet ever. Even the SCD website has a straight to the point edge to it :lol: I see how the SCD is not for absolutely everyone

Hi Kimberly I had your previous posts about D, fresh in mind when starting out. That this could be a "side-effect" and to stay calm :D I've been lucky enough to have these few days of total normality and I'm thinking; is this how nice and easy healthy people have it???? Not giving the digestive system a second thought because it just isn't troubling you????

Hi Heather That's a bit scary.....that the digestive system gets this sensitive. Maybe it's wanted to give this sort of reaction in all our pre-wrong eatinghabits days, but that it hasn't had the stamina to do so. Makes you wonder......Hope you are feeling better.

shimma Apprentice

I think this diet is really helping me, but it's hard sometimes because my husband argues with me about what I should be eating or not eating. On our road trip this past weekend we had a big fight about it and when am I going to start reintroducing foods and various debates about the science behind it - I got frustrated and that's when I decided to eat a McDonald's sundae. Don't ask me why - not like he would be facing the ill effects, I would!

Misa Rookie

Shimma: It's incredibly stressful not being able to just eat normal like everyone else...to have to spend so much time and effort on doing the right thing constantly foodwise 24/7...analizying every single food placed infront of you on the table instead of participating in the enjoyment and relaxation a nice meal generally has. Going on any special diet means food becomes a pretty huge issue for ourselves. But when others also confirm our insecurities and doubts towards the diet, boy, that just triggers all the frustrations. During food debates, it's also stressful to try to defend something you sometimes (or all the time!) might really just hate and loathe. No wonder you got fed up and went for McDonalds :unsure:

Maybe we should make up a SCD positive mantra to repeat in our heads when anyone is busy debating the diet B)

Are you better from the sundae ill effects, or?

Guest gfinnebraska

I am very fortunate that my family is behind me 100%. They know that I will do what is best for me, and they just go along. Of course, I do make them all their favorite yummies still!! :rolleyes: Cookies, homemade ice cream, breads... I get enjoyment out of watching them eat it. Am I weird??!!?? Ha! Anyway, all that to say that hopefully, in time Shimma, your husband will support what you are doing instead of trying to get you to quit. If nothing else, my husband loves the new, thinner me!! ;):o Heehee...

Archived