Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jennyj

Planning A Celiac Seminar

As a few of you may know we own a hardware store but because of my celiac we also sell gluten free foods. Recently I have had several newly dianosed customers who come in for food but also just to have someone who understands to talk to. I have been toying with the idea of hosting a three hour -seminar, symposium, meeting??- so we can meet together and talk as a group. I always tell my customers that I can only tell them things from a personal standpoint because I am not a medical professional but that is what they want to talk about. If I were to do this I need some ideas on what to do?? I had thought about contacting the local hospital's dietician, some local resturaunt managers, and maybe the school lunch supervisor to sit in on this so they can get a better understanding of the diease and see how important this knowledge is for them to serve those who suffer from celiac. I had also thought of serving a totally gluten-free meal so those who are new to cooking can see that it can be done. Other than that I need to know what else to do. I have a location but have not set a time, probably later this year, so it isn't something I am going to rush into. Please think about it and if you have any advice I would love to hear from you. Thanks in advance.

jennyj

Diagnosed March 2006 celiac sprue

Severe iron deficent anemia Jan 2002

Hypoglecemia 2000

"I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me"

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

You may want to contact mamaw, a member here. She has a support group in her town, and I'm sure she'd be a big help as to ideas, etc. :)

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

You can also go to celiac.org and request some information from them. They will send you some startup materials and list you as a contact person for your area. I looked into this before I found our local group.

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

Oscar Wilde

Gluten free November 2007

IgA Deficient, Neg Bloodwork, Double DQ2 Positive

Dietary and Genetic Diagnosis June 2, 2008

Soy free Jan 09

You can also go to celiac.org and request some information from them. They will send you some startup materials and list you as a contact person for your area. I looked into this before I found our local group.

Thanks for that info. I will sure do it.

jennyj

Hypoglecemia 2000

One thing I did at a meeting was to save some packaging from products I use. I displayed them and told where to buy them. Then I did another display with look-alikes, products that are safe in one form but not in another. Like Lawry's Seasoned Salt is gluten-free but generic seasoned salt from our dollar store contains gluten. The packaging is very similar. Another spot could show products that some people react to like Lay's chips. All of these displays could spark a discussion of where to buy product, what brands people find good, how to be careful with your purchases.

There are probably many other ideas. These were good conversation starters for us.

One thing I did at a meeting was to save some packaging from products I use. I displayed them and told where to buy them. Then I did another display with look-alikes, products that are safe in one form but not in another. Like Lawry's Seasoned Salt is gluten-free but generic seasoned salt from our dollar store contains gluten. The packaging is very similar. Another spot could show products that some people react to like Lay's chips. All of these displays could spark a discussion of where to buy product, what brands people find good, how to be careful with your purchases.

There are probably many other ideas. These were good conversation starters for us.

Thanks for the ideas. I am excited about doing this but also a little nervous. But I have about 5 months to get it all together.

jennyj

Hypoglecemia 2000