This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I May Have Found The One Main Culprits: Yeast

Sin3str0

Sin3str0 Rookie

Like I had mentioned in one of the other sections, recently I moved out of my own place and went back home with my parents.

When I was gone I was on top of the world. I felt great! But ever since moving back with the parents I have been getting sick again.

Most symptoms coming back are: Spitting a lot of mucus from throat, sinus congestion, pressure in face, itchy and sore throat, itchy inner ear, cold hands and feet, bad circulation, tingling in hands, arms, and face, gas, burping, heartburn, reflux, and last but certainly not least, the BIG D!

So I get home yesterday to eat this gluten free bread I've been eating ever since moving back in with parents and I decided to read the labeling. I did this because the day before I had eaten 6 slices of bread and the next day I felt worse than the usual crap feeling. I noticed the gluten-free bread had yeast in it, so I decided to avoid it and anything else containing yeast.

Today, I feel human again. No D, less congestion, spitting all the backtrack out, etc. I've noticed the same thing happens if I drink gluten-free beer or gluten-free sake. Same goes for frozen food that is gluten-free and contains yeast.

I'm beginning to think and even question my doctor, since he mentioned I probably had celiacs the first time I saw him, went on the diet, and started feeling better immediately. Here's the thing, gluten-free diet removes a large amount of yeast consumption from our diet. When I moved out of home, I was restricted on what I could eat since I did not have a proper kitchen. I noticed at home that I've been eating a lot of frozen food that contains yeast, although the food is gluten-free I was still getting sick.

Here's what else. There was a point in time within this last year that I could eat anything and everything I wanted for a period of 2 months without feeling ill at all. I mean, I had my health back at 100%. 2 months later all of my symptoms came back and I started to feel like crap again.

What are the chances of me having candida and leaky gut issues and not celiacs?

Also, what doctor do I need to go to figure this out? My current doctor just wants to run allergy panels. What should my next step be to figure this out?

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RiceGuy Collaborator

It is entirely possible to have both Celiac and a yeast overgrowth. It is also possible to be yeast intolerant or allergic, and not have an overgrowth.

However, many people are highly sensitive to MSG (Monosodium Glutamate). Since many prepackaged foods have yeast as a way of disguising the presence of MSG, it might be that.

Though not conclusive, many times, a yeast overgrowth causes a whitish coating on the tongue, especially towards the back. IMHO, if you had candida, avoiding yeast in foods for a few days wouldn't make any marked improvement in how you feel. But it could for a sensitivity of some sort, be it to yeast, MSG, or some other thing.

If you had positive blood and gene tests for Celiac, that would seem conclusive. If not, you may want to try having only yeast-free gluten-free bread, and see what happens. Baking powder biscuits, gluten-free or not, could help narrow it down too. But if you have an intolerance or sensitivity to one of the other ingredients, it might be misleading. So, you may want to try each ingredient used in some food you react to, one by one, until you find the culprit.

As for doctors, most do not know or believe anything about candida, so it may be tough to find one that knows enough to help you. There are apparently some tests which can be done.

Jestgar Rising Star

It's also possible that when you cut out yeast, you also cut out some other grain ot starch that is causing you problems. I can't think of a food that has yeast, but no grain.

RiceGuy Collaborator
I can't think of a food that has yeast, but no grain.

Lots of foods do, usually to add MSG in a not so obvious way. Things like non-dairy cheeses, prepackaged "low fat" items, even tomato soups. Take a look at many jars of peanuts on the market, and you'll often find some sort of yeast on the list of ingredients, even if the peanuts aren't supposed to be flavored.

Jestgar Rising Star
Lots of foods do, usually to add MSG in a not so obvious way. Things like non-dairy cheeses, prepackaged "low fat" items, even tomato soups. Take a look at many jars of peanuts on the market, and you'll often find some sort of yeast on the list of ingredients, even if the peanuts aren't supposed to be flavored.

I had no idea. I guess I never eat that kind of stuff. Never been a pre-packaged kind of girl, and dropped pretty much all non-single item foods in the last year.

Sin3str0 Rookie
It is entirely possible to have both Celiac and a yeast overgrowth. It is also possible to be yeast intolerant or allergic, and not have an overgrowth.

However, many people are highly sensitive to MSG (Monosodium Glutamate). Since many prepackaged foods have yeast as a way of disguising the presence of MSG, it might be that.

Though not conclusive, many times, a yeast overgrowth causes a whitish coating on the tongue, especially towards the back. IMHO, if you had candida, avoiding yeast in foods for a few days wouldn't make any marked improvement in how you feel. But it could for a sensitivity of some sort, be it to yeast, MSG, or some other thing.

If you had positive blood and gene tests for Celiac, that would seem conclusive. If not, you may want to try having only yeast-free gluten-free bread, and see what happens. Baking powder biscuits, gluten-free or not, could help narrow it down too. But if you have an intolerance or sensitivity to one of the other ingredients, it might be misleading. So, you may want to try each ingredient used in some food you react to, one by one, until you find the culprit.

As for doctors, most do not know or believe anything about candida, so it may be tough to find one that knows enough to help you. There are apparently some tests which can be done.

Now that yo mention it, I do have a white coat on my tongue, especially towards the back. Been that way for years. I also did the candid spit test in a clear glass of water and it seemed pretty evident of yeast overgrowth.

The thing is, my Doc refuses to run anything outside of allergy and regular blood panels right now. I guess once I get my allergy blood results I'll ask for more thorough testing. It is just a pain to deal with constantly getting blood drawn due to Doc's not running ALL tests in one shot.

Exactly, my Doctor doesn't even believe that there can be an internal yeast overgrowth. x_x Waaaaaah!

Thanks!

Lovey25 Rookie

Also, even if you find a doctor that "believes" in yeast overgrowth, they'll probably only think it can lead to intestinal pain like constipation. When in fact, we have yeasts covering EVERY mucous membrane (eyes, mouth, nose, genitals) as well as our intestines and skin. Yeast overgrowth can probably occur anywhere. Just keep in mind that the mainstream medical establishment doesn't believe in such things... even though the diet(s) make so many people well or even healed. :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived