This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Help: Not Healing From Outbreak

Korinne-S

Korinne-S Newbie

This may be graphic and I'm sorry for having to post this online. The easily disturbed are advised to leave this post now.

I was diagnosed back in November and began the diet right away. My symptoms were bleeding from the anus with very painful bowel movements among other things. After starting the diet, things healed and I felt great.

I traveled home for Christmas and my food was contaminated. I immediately felt symptoms again but figured it would subside after a few days of gluten free eating. It has now been 2 months and I'm bleeding pretty consistently and bowel movements are excruciating. On top of it, it seems the bleeding is getting worse and much worse.

This past week I decided to detox so maybe my body would be able to heal. I detoxed and then went to the bathroom...nothing has changed except the amount of blood. It is now in the toilet and not just on the tissue paper.

I don't know what to do anymore! I feel like I need to be put in a bubble because everything I do causes me trouble. I'm not healing and I AM still on the diet. If things keep up, I might as well sit down with a loaf of wheat bread! I need help! I can't fix this on my own and I don't know if there is anything I can do.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

You need to see your doctor! Please do not hold off any longer.

mushroom Proficient
I don't know what to do anymore! I feel like I need to be put in a bubble because everything I do causes me trouble. I'm not healing and I AM still on the diet. If things keep up, I might as well sit down with a loaf of wheat bread! I need help! I can't fix this on my own and I don't know if there is anything I can do.

Do you have a caring and knowledgeable PCP? It sounds like you should start there. Do you have hemorrhoids, perhaps? Whatever the cause, I think this is something you should discuss with your doctor.

Korinne-S Newbie

Last I heard, they were just fissures. They have healed on their own before...

I don't really have a doctor I go to. My NP brought this to my attention without any testing. I just eliminated the gluten and healed up.

mushroom Proficient

Your guy may be healing but I don't think your fissures are, if that is what it is. You need medical attention.

mushroom Proficient

Your gut may be healing but I don't think your fissures are, if that is what it is. You need medical attention.

Edit: Sorry about the typo in the other post. Didn't edit properly!

Korinne-S Newbie

So what, I go to the doctor's and get a endoscopy every time I have contamination issues?!! Really?

If my fissures just won't heal they will have to cauterize them and every time I get contaminated I get fissures...so there's no other solution?!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

climbmtwhitney Apprentice
So what, I go to the doctor's and get a endoscopy every time I have contamination issues?!! Really?

If my fissures just won't heal they will have to cauterize them and every time I get contaminated I get fissures...so there's no other solution?!

Korinne,

I'm definitely NOT an expert here, but this is a thought. My niece was tested for Celiac because it runs in our family and she's having difficulty too. Among her symptoms are painful bm's and blood in the toilet also. My sister took her to a pediatric gastro and the doctor's first thought was Chron's or ulcerative colitis, not Celiac. She said painful elimination and blood in the stool could possibly be one of those. Both tests (as well as the Celiac test) came up negative however. And, unfortunately for her, her parents are unwilling to just try the gluten-free diet. Grrrrr!

I agree with the other posters to have yourself checked out. You may have more than one thing going on. I know someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Celiac and other diseases of the large intestine sometimes occur together.

I hope you figure this out soon and start feeling better!

Best wishes,

Jillian

Korinne-S Newbie

Before going to the doctor's, I'm eliminating dairy as a test. I've read that dairy could be the problem if I'm not healed and able to absorb the lactose. So I'm dairy free for a while and then if that doesn't solve my problem, off to the doctor I go.

Are there any tests I should ask for from the allergist? I do plan on seeing one to make sure it's just gluten I'm allergic to.

efriedm2 Apprentice

Hi Korinne,

I'm certainly not a medical expert, but as a life-long allergic person (to foods other than wheat/gluten), I'm not aware of food allergies being known to cause the bleeding you're having. Really, go get yourself checked out by a doc!

Anna and Marie Newbie

Hi,

perhaps you have crohns or lupus too? I have Celiac and Crohns and a host of food allergies. I have been sick for four years, really bad that is, and I thought it was just Celiac but then everything else came along. Maybe you can do an allergy test to see if there is anything else? Hope everything works out, ;)

~Anna

Archived