This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gfdf Replacements For My Old Favorites?

krystal

krystal Rookie

OK, I'm having a hard time here trying to keep SOME things in my life.

I need "milk" in my coffee in the morning. How do celiacs with milk issues lighten their coffee? (I've tried rice and soy milk with unsatisfactory results)

Also, I found a bread that I like, but I'd like to toast it and put something on it for my breakfast in the morning. I have always used butter and now don't know what to use.

Any suggestions?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

purple Community Regular

My dh puts peanut butter or honey on his toast. I used to put coconut oil on toast but I am not a bread eater unless its the muffin kind ;) How about just jam or a scrambled egg sandwich?

krystal Rookie
My dh puts peanut butter or honey on his toast. I used to put coconut oil on toast but I am not a bread eater unless its the muffin kind ;) How about just jam or a scrambled egg sandwich?

I forgot to mention no eggs, no oats for me either.

I think I have some jam downstairs in the pantry. I'll try that tomorrow (the others are used by the kids and are def. CC)

Are the fake margarines or olive oil spreads OK to use?

purple Community Regular
I forgot to mention no eggs, no oats for me either.

I think I have some jam downstairs in the pantry. I'll try that tomorrow (the others are used by the kids and are def. CC)

Are the fake margarines or olive oil spreads OK to use?

I haven't tried them, my dd is vegan and uses earth balance margarine, jam or pb. She puts refried beans or avocados on various bread items too.

Couldn't answer the coffee question b/c I hate coffee...sorry :blink:

foodiegurl Collaborator

I second the honey suggestion, that is what I use on my toasted gluten-free bread for breakfast, and I love it!!

Also, for coffee, I have never liked it, so I am not sure =)

Mrs. Smith Explorer

I also use Earth Balance margarine and I really like it. Coffeemate is GFDF. Thats what I use. There is a creamer from silk too that is good if you can tolerate soy. Personally it gives me gas, but the coffeemate is good and has all kinds of flavors.

tarnalberry Community Regular

I use earth balance if I ever bother with toast or make muffins.

As far dairy - in cereal, I use either soy milk (different brands taste differently, I prefer unsweetened silk) or almond milk (also unsweetened) if I'm doing cereal, and almond rice milk or hemp milk in a smoothie or when baking. (Almond milk if I'm making chai tea.)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

darkhorse Apprentice
Also, I found a bread that I like, but I'd like to toast it and put something on it for my breakfast in the morning. I have always used butter and now don't know what to use.

Any suggestions?

I use Smart Balance organic spread in the green tub. It is gluten free and dairy free and tastes just like the real thing. You can use it for baking and cooking as well.

Sweetfudge Community Regular

I use the smart balance spread that darkhorse mentioned on things like toast and veggies. I use the earth balance sticks for baking. Both seem to work great.

one more mile Contributor

Almond milk is great, I use it to make mashed potatoes with it and My mom, who is picky, even likes it. They also make chocolate almond milk that is great in coffee. Or great just out of the box.

It has taken me time to find replacements for some things that I miss. but with time adjustments can me made. or new favorites can be found.

I am not sure if anyone mentioned it but you should have your own toaster one that is gluten free.

Archived