This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Overwhelmed

latteda

latteda Apprentice

About seven years ago, I started having headaches, lethargy, and muscle aches and a nutritionist/nurse suggested that I might have a wheat allergy. I have been off wheat since then and usually do not have problems with headaches or extreme tiredness since then. I also have a symptom which I have never heard of anyone having before, and that is a fullness in my ears. That sounds strange but it is very similar to the feeling you get when you change altitudes and your ears feel like they need to "pop." It is like that constantly along with a headache. Does anyone know what the deal with that might be?

There are other items I have eaten during these last seven years that do not have wheat or modified food starch in them but they still cause a slight reaction. Every couple of years I will go through something where I experience a lot of bad symptoms and the doctors run blood tests and can't ever figure out what the problem is. I've been tested for lyme disease, mono, ulcers, and even internal bleeding from a prior injury.

I will get nauseated and have stomach cramps, bloating, gas, and lethargy. I have experienced most symptoms of Celiac/gluten intolerance. This has begun happening more and more frequently, the latest two episodes being in the last two months. I finally linked them to the Spelt bread I was eating from time to time. That is when I wondered if it was not just a wheat allergy, but a gluten intolerance. I have been trying to eat gluten-free the last couple of days and have felt better when I have managed to get a gluten-free meal.

I am just wondering, is a gluten intolerace or Celiac disease something that gets worse with time? It seems like these episodes I've been having are more frequent and the symptoms are more exaggerated than they used to be.

Also I am just feeling overwhelmed because it seems like gluten is hiding in everything! I have no idea WHERE to even start. How long did it take everyone to get familiarized with ingredients to where actually making/ordering a gluten-free meal was more likely to be successful?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Gfresh404 Enthusiast

Celiac is something that does get better with time. It just takes patience, that is something I have to keep reminding myself. Some days I will feel so good I will think "Im cured!" but then I have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and I blow up like a balloon. So yes, you will get better, it just takes time for your body to heal.

That feeling of being overwhelmed with definitely diminish quickly. You will soon become an expert on what has gluten in it and what does not. It is actually quite easy once you learn the basics. For starters, just keep it simple. Have chicken, white rice, and peas for one meal. For another you could have gluten free pasta, salmon, and broccoli or steak and a baked potato. When you are first starting out I would have to say the less ingredients the better, but I know that can be tough so for spices stick with McCormick brand. They will list the source of any ingredients that could potentially contain gluten.

Also, if there is a health food store near you like Whole Foods go there. They have a ton of gluten free products that are clearly labeled.

One other thing, some companies, like Kraft (god bless them) will clearly list the source of any ingredients that could potentially contain gluten (ie - modified food starch [from wheat]), so I buy a lot of their stuff. Just make sure you always read the label and if you're still unsure just do a quick google search, I can almost guarantee you the someone has already asked about it.

Good luck!

Roda Rising Star

When they recommended you go wheat free they should have told you that spelt is a no no. It is an older form of wheat. I'm sorry that you have been feeling bad. I did a lot of looking on the internet, but as with anything, buyer beware. Not all the information out there is accurate. I turned to this site for info, I consulted with a dietician, and bought two books. Living Gluten-Free For Dummies by Danna Korn and Gluten-Free Grocery Shopping Guide 2008/2009 edition by Matison & Matison. They both helped a lot. I can now go to the grocery store and buy staple things and not look at a reference book. I read the lables and know if I can buy some stuff now by myself. I also would go to websites for specific products to obtain information and if I could not tell I would send an email with my question. I have started my own folder in my email for all my replies. I also have used Tom Sawyer flour and Better Batter flour. I still use a lot of my old recipes I have just adjusted them to gluten free. The biggest challenge for me has been bread. I don't like gluten free bread at all. So I just don't eat it. But recently I did discover brazillian cheese bread made out of tapioca flour and I am in love. My husband loved it to and he is not gluten free. I can link you the recipe if you want. I have also got a lot of recipes from this site also. You need to avoid wheat and any wheat hybrids, rye, barley and oats. Alot of people do eat the certified oats without any problem. I am avoiding oats until my one year anniversary and then I will try out some certified gluten free oats. The problem with the oats is a cross contamination issue, but some do react to the protein in oats in the same manner they do to the other proteins in the other grains.

latteda Apprentice

Thank you for the replies. I am trying to go gluten-free but I still have managed to get it a couple of times recently (must not have read the ingredients lists correctly once; the other time ordered a BEEF tostada instead of a bean tostada at Taco Bell not realizing the beef was a problem) and afterward felt pretty sick.

Roda, I would love the recipe for the cheese bread.

Thankfully, because of my prior wheat-free diet, I already have a couple of gluten-free cookbooks that I am accustomed to using sometimes. I am going to try to order that Triumphy Grocery Guide to help me know which ingredients I can and cannot have.

ang1e0251 Contributor

I'm glad you're tightening up your diet. You'll feel the ongoing benefits. Keep and eye on dairy too. If those symptoms seem to come back but you are gluten-free, then look to dairy.

The advice was good. Start with simple whole foods you prepare yourself. When you have a handle on that, then start adding one new food at a time as you feel competant to do so. If you start off trying to handle the whole grocery store at once, it can lead to overload. Also when you add only one food at a time, you'll know who the culprit is if you react to it.

The shopping guide is a good idea. Some large grocery chains now have their own lists on their websites. You can print them free and they are good to use in any store. All the health food stores I have been in have a gluten-free section and they are adding to them all the time. Kroger has a good section also.

Roda Rising Star
Thank you for the replies. I am trying to go gluten-free but I still have managed to get it a couple of times recently (must not have read the ingredients lists correctly once; the other time ordered a BEEF tostada instead of a bean tostada at Taco Bell not realizing the beef was a problem) and afterward felt pretty sick.

Roda, I would love the recipe for the cheese bread.

Thankfully, because of my prior wheat-free diet, I already have a couple of gluten-free cookbooks that I am accustomed to using sometimes. I am going to try to order that Triumphy Grocery Guide to help me know which ingredients I can and cannot have.

Sorry it took me awhile to get back to you. Here is the link to the bread. Enjoy, I know I have. :)

https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/index.ph...mp;#entry527541

Archived