This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

"in Defense Of Food" By Michael Pollan

Miss Emily

Miss Emily Apprentice

This book is NOT about Celiac. However, it has a lot of great knowledge and insight into healthy eating and following a healthy lifestyle. I believe it will grealty benefit those of us who suffer from the negative effects of processed food, reactions to preservatives/additives/MSG, digestive upset, etc. Please read and give me your feedback, I found this book at my local library!

Michael Pollan

"In Defense of Food"

Open Original Shared Link

Below is an excerpt of the introduction to the publication.

INTRODUCTION

AN EATER

• 3 weeks later...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

munchkinette Collaborator

I just read this while I was in Europe a few weeks ago. At the same time, I was eating some really awesome produce. I realized that even in California, we just don't get very good produce in the grocery stores. I started shopping at farmer's markets and buying more grassfed.

He doesn't have to tell any of us about problems with packaged foods. I think it's a good book for other people though. I've been spending twice as much money on food as my friends for quite a while now. With the changes above that I mentioned, it's really not that much more expensive. Farmer's markets are cheap... the imported out of season produce in the grocery store isn't. I can do without apples for 3 months. I tried a lot of new fruits by doing this.

OptimisticMom42 Apprentice
I've been spending twice as much money on food as my friends for quite a while now.

I've been putting my food right on the counter at work so it's easy for me to see when some one brings in that box of doughnuts or pk of dollar store cookies. So my co-workers have been checking the price stickers on my food and commenting on it. Yes, juice costs more than corn syrup. Yes, peanut butter costs more than soy butter. I've started taking the stickers off. They would choke on their cookies if they knew how much I paid for those pretzels!

Archived