This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Blood Results In, Postive For Celiac. Yaay, Another Autoimmune Disease

srthomas21

srthomas21 Explorer

Well , just got back form the Dr. and 3 of the 4 blood tests for Celiac were positve so I have an official diagnoses of Celiac.

Now, for you experts out there how long did it take to start feeling better. I don't have any gastro symptoms. I have all the weird symtpoms:

1. Headaches

2. Fatigue

3. Mind Fog

4. Feel like I'm starving when I get hungry

5. Stiff Neck

6. Post Nasal Drip

7. Sensitive to Light especially at night.

8. Muscle aches especially in legs

and other various weird stuff.

I just ate my last doughnut today :( Oh well, I'd rather feel good than eat gluten.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

OptimisticMom42 Apprentice

Most of the stuff will start to improve within a couple of days. The muscles aches take longer for me. I was using tart cherry juice to help reduce the inflammation and for the other mild aspirin effects. I ran out. Couldn't get more. Didn't need it anymore anyhow. Still taking magnesium for cramps in my feet at night. Skipped it last night. Mild cramping last night. But thats an absorbsion issue. I think I read that that can take a yr or longer to improve.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Healing times can vary but you should notice some difference soon. The best way to heal the quickest is to eat as clean and unprocessed as you can. Fresh foods like fruits and veggies, freah meats with no broths added in processing, beans, rice, potatoes etc. Also you can have things like doughnuts and pizza etc. There are many brands but my own favorties are Kinnickinnick for doughnuts, italian bread and premade pizza shells. Foods by George makes really good brownies and of course there are other brands.

Welcome officially to the family and I hope you heal quickly.

srthomas21 Explorer

Thanks, I have a lot to learn. I just want this mind fog to go away and the overall feeling of blah. Looking forward to a gluten free life.

Foxfire62 Newbie
Well , just got back form the Dr. and 3 of the 4 blood tests for Celiac were positve so I have an official diagnoses of Celiac.

Now, for you experts out there how long did it take to start feeling better. I don't have any gastro symptoms. I have all the weird symtpoms:

1. Headaches

2. Fatigue

3. Mind Fog

4. Feel like I'm starving when I get hungry

5. Stiff Neck

6. Post Nasal Drip

7. Sensitive to Light especially at night.

8. Muscle aches especially in legs

and other various weird stuff.

I just ate my last doughnut today :( Oh well, I'd rather feel good than eat gluten.

Depends on your age. The younger, the better. For example, my blood results for ttg were 100+. I'm now down to 14. I started to feel great up through December. Then starting January/February, I started to feel full. My new GI doc thinks I got glutened again. I did begin experimenting with other supposedly gluten-free products (i.e., Kettle Chips and Kraft Oscar Meyer Weiner hot dogs). Ever since then, I've had constipation-related problems. I was so backed up, I didn't eat for a week, which put my whole body in a tail spin. It took over a week to get me unblocked. Then I put my female hormones out of whack, and I've been on progesterone, but now I wonder if I'm getting gluttened or if the constipation is just as a result of the product. Hard to say. Not yet recovered from my 2-month ordeal and am backed up again. I'm currently trying to get "un" backed up by taking Metamucil, since I was having problems digesting fiber.

Here's the problem when you are older and have been a celiac for quite a long time: your intestines become accustomed to not working properly. Then, they suddenly start working right, and you notice different problems occuring, like having difficulty digesting certain foods or slow digestion or dumping or (the list can go on and on). So, your body has to acclimate. Not to say everyone works this way, but recovery can sometimes be an ordeal for some people. Again, the younger you are, the better. Young adults can recover within weeks; older adults, it's anyone's guess. Depends on your body.

Foxfire62 Newbie

I totally agree with you...eat as clean as possible. That's what I've learned as well! Forget trying some of the products in the regular store that say "gluten-free." If you're extremely sensitive, it doesn't bode well. I've learned MY lesson!

srthomas21 Explorer

I'm 30 and I don't think I've had active celiac for more than a year. About 10 years ago I had my colon removed due to Ulcerative Colitis. So lucky (or unlucky) for me I don't have problems getting backed up :)

I had two last hurrah donuts today and I think I'm paying for them now.

I feel kind of clamy and my head feels weird. Almost flu like stuff.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived