foodiegurl

Could I Have Been Glutened And Not Know It?

Rate this topic

The other day, I was at my friend's for a lunch playdate with our children. I brought my own sandwich to eat, just in case. It turns out, she was making us omelettes since she knows I can't have gluten. So, I watched how she prepared everything, and it all looked good. Then right before she put the eggs in the pan, she sliced butter to go with it, and I just thought "oh cr*p, I bet that butter has crumbs on it". And I felt so bad she went through the trouble, I ate it :(

Thankfully, I felt fine, and had no ill effects, but I have to wonder....if say there was a crumb on it and I ate it..would that of meant I was glutened, and just didn't have symptoms...or maybe I wasn't glutened at all.

I do think i have felt it before when I have had something unsafe, I will get a stomach ache, but then since I am only 3 months in, I can't be sure.

Hope that makes sense.

You were probably okay. Not everyone gets *shudder* crumbs on their butter. I can only speak for myself, but there is no "silent glutening" in my case. If I get gluten in me, I get sick, no matter how small the amount.

I wouldn't worry about it. You felt no ill effects and chances are you were not glutened. Silent celiacs are basically celiacs that don't have any gastro symptoms at diagnosis. Most of us do have GI symptoms when diagnosed and if glutened they return, often stonger than before they were gluten free.

What were your symptoms before going gluten-free? Those are probably the ones you would feel if glutened now, only worse. Sounds like your friend took good care of you.

I wouldn't worry about it. If you know that you've gotten sick before when you've been glutened, I would bet to say if there were crumbs on the butter you would have gotten sick.

I generally go with the thought of if I feel ok, than I didn't ingest anything I wasn't supposed to.