Billygean

Glutened At A Wedding?

Rate this topic

Hi all

I've been gluten-free for almost a year. I reintroduced dairy successfully in about December 08 and I've been feeling pretty well lately. I suffered with quite bad chronic fatigue prior to giving up gluten.

I went to a wedding on Saturday. I felt fine on Sunday but possibly didn't get enough sleep, although my body hasn't rebelled this much in a long time.

Basically today I can't do anything, when I do anything I get dizzy and sweat and my whole body feels heavy, same old Chronic Fatigue story. No diarrhea yet, but my stomach's been off, lots of wind etc but that isn't uncommon for me.

The people at the wedding knew about coeliacs and CC, and assured me it had all been cooked separately. They made me a separate soup, and fruit salad for dessert. The main was Chicken stuffed with sun dried tomatoes and mozarella in a white wine sauce. Other people's sauce contained wheat flour but mine was cooked without it, and separately.

I can't think where I could have been glutened from but unless I have a flu coming I'm stumped as I've been feeling really good. I am new to being 'glutened'. I did a challenge in Nov 08 and it went very badly, I felt like this basically but with added diarrhea. I do still have blip days but not had one like this for ages, so while I don't want to blame the gluten in case I've overdone it etc, I'm stumped really. Could it have been the meal?

BG

It could have been the meal or it could be a bug. i would give it a day or two. if you're better tomorrow then it probably was gluten because i have never had symptoms from being glutened last more than two days.

What did you eat on sunday?

I t could be that even though they were careful it could be slight cross contamination. This is just a thought but i react to MSG even though it is on the safe list some people cannot tolerate it. If i eat something with MSG in it i get the fatigue, slight gas or a kind of heart burn feeling. The fatigue is the worst though. And since it is considered safe some part of your gluten free meal could have that particular ingredient.

On Sunday I ate gluten-free bread that I took myself to the hotel, with cheese and onion at my dad's house which is not gluten-free but i used a fresh knife and put my toast on some new foil under the grille. Then we had steak, potatoes and salad and the only dressing I had were mayo and ketchup, which are both certified gluten free.

It could have been CC from someone having touched gluten before preparing your dish--or after in setting it down. etc. unfortunately. Or even the plate or cookware having old baked in gluten... For all that, sundried tomatoes could be suspect in that regard...

Bea

Did your white wine sauce have dairy? Lots of sauces do. And the other poster is right, crumbs are around the kitchen and CC can happen easily, even off the server.

You said you had ketchup and mayo. Were those your containers or could someone have used them before you?

It could have been the meal or it could be a bug. i would give it a day or two. if you're better tomorrow then it probably was gluten because i have never had symptoms from being glutened last more than two days.

I personally have a reaction that lasts longer than two weeks, so that may not be a good gauge.