This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Wow... If I Wasn't Already Convinced...

boysmom

boysmom Explorer

I've been trying to eat gluten free for about 3 weeks now. About every 3-4 days I accidentally get a little something (found caramel coloring in Dr Pepper and in balsamic vinegar for example) that I didn't realize until after I was feeling bad again. I wondered whether there was a chance it was not gluten/wheat, but something else that I'm getting *with* the gluten, so I decided to try a challenge this morning (my previous accidents were generally late in the day and the symptoms hit around bedtime, so I also wanted to see if it were related to something else besides my diet that would trigger at bedtime). So around noon today I ate 2 girl scout cookies. OH MY... within half an hour I was short of breath, and when I stood up I felt like I'd taken some kind of meds... slightly dizzy and off balance, that 'where's the floor' kind of feeling.

Obviously I have no way to tell whether this means celiac, gluten sensitivity, or wheat allergy, but now I have NO doubt that I am reacting to wheat pretty strongly.

One issue that has arisen I'd like some input on. I tend toward constipation and in the past managed it very well by eating a lot of whole grains, usually whole wheat bread and oatmeal every day for breakfast :( Now that those foods are not available to me, I seem to fluctuate between some mildly loose stools when I've accidentally gotten gluten and very hard stools when I haven't. How can I avoid full-on constipation and stay gluten-free?? I have mostly been substituting brown rice for my oatmeal breakfasts and eat more fruits and vegetables in place of breads and pastas and so far that doesn't seem to be helping much.

Thanks for being here!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

fyi, most caramel coloring in the US is gluten free (made from corn, iirc). and the vast majority of balsamic vinegar is naturally gluten free (made from grapes) - only a few cheap brands add anything to it.

as for the constipation - reducing simple starches, increasing things like beans/lentils/veggies/flax meal, and making sure that you're getting enough magnesium (especially if you're taking a calcium supplement, as those tend to be binding)...

boysmom Explorer

The website I was using to check my foods said caramel coloring was suspect, so when I felt bad and found that ingredient listed I suspected it ;) However, like I said, I wanted to be sure it wasn't something else (such as acidic foods late in the day, because both pop and vinegar could irritate an already upset digestive system, right?) so I tried my challenge earlier in the day. Generally, when I've had some reaction it seems to hit me within 30 min - 1 hour after I've eaten.

Thanks for the reminder about beans and lentils DUH lol Our health food store stocks a number of varieties of wheat flour, but other grains are only available in whole grain form, and since my Nutrimill is now thoroughly contaminated with wheat I'm trying to find ways to use whole grains rather than invest in a new Nutrimill right away.

I haven't started taking any supplements yet, but I have noticed that when I eat a banana it actually seems to cause leg cramps, where before I ate them to stop or prevent charlie horses. weird...

MrsClaus Newbie

Chemicals can cause the big D. If I eat Strohs ice cream I get D. but Homemade brand and Bryers is ok. many Celiacs are lactose intolerant or Casin that is in dairy. Check other allergies and chemicals.

Corn works for me and drinking something hot in the morning gets the old system moving!

Bananas should not cause cramping and is recommended for cramping, unless you are allergic or some other reason, try organic maybe its the chemicals again.

I am free of most migrains now, the ones I get are chemical or food related like chocolate and cleaning supplies. Cheap and strong cologne.

ang1e0251 Contributor

I have read other posters report that the balsamic vinergar they were going to use had wheat as an ingedient added. Not all of them but some.

I second the advice on magnesium. It will help constipation and if you feel it is making you too loose, you can reduce the dose and try the magnesium oil that you spray on your skin.

hannahp57 Contributor

Bob's Red Mill has oats and oatmeal! i have the oats and i LOVE them!! there's one like a mighty tasty warm cereal or something like that. look it up and if it isnt in a store near you maybe you can order them. oats are pretty high in fiber i think and they are a whole grain. also i have heard of adding flax seed and rice bran into regular breads(if you bake your own) just for a little additional health benefit!

Darn210 Enthusiast
Bob's Red Mill has oats and oatmeal! i have the oats and i LOVE them!! there's one like a mighty tasty warm cereal or something like that. look it up and if it isnt in a store near you maybe you can order them. oats are pretty high in fiber i think and they are a whole grain. also i have heard of adding flax seed and rice bran into regular breads(if you bake your own) just for a little additional health benefit!

Bob's Red Mill has regular oats and gluten free oats. If you try them make sure you get the package labeled Gluten Free . . . it's big, you can't miss it. If you are looking all over a BRM oat package for a little label, then it's the wrong package. Also, some Celiacs react to oats, too. Just wanted to throw that out there. If you try them, try a small helping first to see if you react. My daughter's doc wanted us to be gluten free for 6 months before we even tried them.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived