Lexi

Can This Be Happening?

Rate this topic

I FEEL so CRAZY!! I have been to SO MANY doctors and none of them can figure out what is going on with me. My health has been one big Nightmare over the past year!! I hope someone can say they relate. I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease about 2 years ago now. I was also just recently diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, and candida. I have a lot of muscle pain and back pain, and a whole long list of other problems. Anyway, I finally got serious about treating the candida because I am so sick all of the time. I started taking Flucanazole and some really good probiotics. I also tried some activated charcoal. Anyway, ever since starting the Flucanazole, I have had the worst back and muscle pain of my life. My back spasms constantly, and the pain radiates up my spine and into my shoulders and neck. My lower back is so bad that I can barely walk. I have always had pain in these areas, but NEVER so BAD!! I am going crazy from the pain - even on really strong pain medicine. Does anyone think that this could possibly be from the medicine or die off symptoms, or is this a fluke? I have been unable to care for myself or my kids from 5 days now, and can take it no longer. I am going to stop the flucanazole tonight. The problem is that I feel like I am NEVER going to get rid of this yeast problem now. My gynecologist is the one who prescribed the medicine, and my family Doctor advised me not to take it because she said that this whole yeast thing is just in people's heads. She told me to quit worrying about yeast, and focus on my other medical problems. I couldn't believe she said that because I really did like her as my Doctor. I had also tried Candex and Yeast Cleanse with no results. I am going to a rhematologist on Thursday. Anyway, has anyone else ever had such a bad reaction to flucanazole? I am just praying that by stopping the medicine that I can get some pain relief. If not, I don't know what to do next.

I FEEL so CRAZY!! I have been to SO MANY doctors and none of them can figure out what is going on with me. My health has been one big Nightmare over the past year!! I hope someone can say they relate. I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease about 2 years ago now. I was also just recently diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, and candida. I have a lot of muscle pain and back pain, and a whole long list of other problems. Anyway, I finally got serious about treating the candida because I am so sick all of the time. I started taking Flucanazole and some really good probiotics. I also tried some activated charcoal. Anyway, ever since starting the Flucanazole, I have had the worst back and muscle pain of my life. My back spasms constantly, and the pain radiates up my spine and into my shoulders and neck. My lower back is so bad that I can barely walk. I have always had pain in these areas, but NEVER so BAD!! I am going crazy from the pain - even on really strong pain medicine. Does anyone think that this could possibly be from the medicine or die off symptoms, or is this a fluke? I have been unable to care for myself or my kids from 5 days now, and can take it no longer. I am going to stop the flucanazole tonight. The problem is that I feel like I am NEVER going to get rid of this yeast problem now. My gynecologist is the one who prescribed the medicine, and my family Doctor advised me not to take it because she said that this whole yeast thing is just in people's heads. She told me to quit worrying about yeast, and focus on my other medical problems. I couldn't believe she said that because I really did like her as my Doctor. I had also tried Candex and Yeast Cleanse with no results. I am going to a rhematologist on Thursday. Anyway, has anyone else ever had such a bad reaction to flucanazole? I am just praying that by stopping the medicine that I can get some pain relief. If not, I don't know what to do next.

Lexi, I'm so sorry that you're having these problems. I don't know if my experiences will help or not, but I too have fibromyalgia. The area in which the pain is worst is my back. I've been in a wheelchair for several months now because if I try to walk more than a few yards or stand more than a few minutes I end up with excruciating pain in my back. My son-in-law also has fibro, and his back is his worst spot too.

I keep hoping that the longer I am gluten free, the better I'll feel, and in many areas that's true, but as for my back pain, that's not getting better. Yet.

The back and neck pain you're experiencing is fairly typical for fibro, according to what I've heard. I don't know if it's related to your medication. Some meds can make it worse, I know. My fibro pain has, at times, become so incredibly bad that it actually hurts to breathe.

The side effects of flucanazole as listed on www.drugs.com are:

Common side effects: changes in taste; diarrhea; dizziness; headache; nausea; stomach pain; vomiting.

Uncommon/dangerous side effects: severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); dark urine; diarrhea; fever; hoarseness; irregular heartbeat; scaly, red skin over a large portion of the body; seizures; sore throat; swelling of your hands; unusual or severe stomach pain; unusual tiredness; yellowing of the eyes or skin.

So it doesn't sound as though the flucanazole is the problem, but you never know. Different people have different reactions.

I do understand....it took me many years and about 10 different doctors before I finally put all of the puzzle pieces together. I have seven different autoimmune diseases plus fibromyalgia. I'm dealing with it the best way I know how.

I hope you find some answers soon; you're in my thoughts and prayers....

JoAnn

I've had a tough time getting rid of the yeast too. Recently I went off all grains and fruit except for lemons (I sweeten them with stevia to make lemonade). It seems to be making a big difference. I have been using squash as an alternative to grains. I recently read something about the official Specific Carbohydrate Diet. It looks like it could help--they say its very good against both candida overgrowth and fibromyalgia as well as celiac and other auto immune conditions. Unfortunately I am allergic to some of its mainstays like fruit and nuts however...So I tread a middle ground between the specific carbohydrate diet and the paleo diet plus my own additions and subtractions.

As far as the flucanozole--by going off it you should be able to tell if its the drug getting you or not. It also just might be too strong for you at this time. Perhaps take half doses? I personally think natural is better but sometimes one doesn't have the patience for natural. I have had intense die off symptoms with anti yeast drugs myself. Whatever path I have taken with this, the first five days are the worst. It then seems to taper off...So maybe don't be premature in giving up your battle with this. Plus I highly suggest exercise as a way to counteract this, plus detox herbs I have suggested elsewhere on this forum. And lots of water. Saunas could help too...

Bea

Hi Lexi, I don't know if this will help you but it is worth a try. I have been having your exact same problems plus a long list of others, but as for your yeast you might want to go to a dermatologist. I have yeast problems really bad, so when I started taking some fungal medications for a fungal problem in my sinuses I just thought it was a worse yeast infection but it wasn't. I went to my dermatologist and found out that it was a "Fixed Drug Eruption" from the fungal medication. My body is just getting sick of all the medications and is now fighting back by causing me to break out with what resembles a horrible yeast infection but is not. It has now happened with other medications and as soon as I stop them it starts getting better. No other doctor, not even my gynecologist knew this, it was my dermatologist. Good luck and I hope you can get this taken care of because if you have this as bad as I think you do, then you are miserable. I know I was. Take care, Lacey