Sulevismom

Gluten Free Wheat Starch?

Rate this topic

Hi,

I just recently came across some gluten-free products that include "gluten free" wheat starch. I resisted one of them to be on the safe side, but I ate another without knowing until afterwards. I had been glutened the day before, so I was already reacting, and I was unable to ascertain whether this caused me more problems. What has your experience been with gluten-free wheat starch?

Thanks,

Jessica

Last I knew, the so-called gluten-free wheat starch only fits in the 200 ppm gluten limit. The European CODEX had previously defined gluten-free as being under 200 ppm, but so many people reacted to the wheat starch, that they have lowered it to 20 ppm. So I think the chances of reacting to it are considerably high.

IMHO, eating wheat starch on a regular basis would be like continuously eating foods which are contaminated with gluten. And regardless of whether you can feel it, I think there would probably be damage to your intestines.

Last I knew, the so-called gluten-free wheat starch only fits in the 200 ppm gluten limit. The European CODEX had previously defined gluten-free as being under 200 ppm, but so many people reacted to the wheat starch, that they have lowered it to 20 ppm. So I think the chances of reacting to it are considerably high.

IMHO, eating wheat starch on a regular basis would be like continuously eating foods which are contaminated with gluten. And regardless of whether you can feel it, I think there would probably be damage to your intestines.

Okay, thanks, that got me to do some research. I live in Europe, so I am interested in the labeling issue. Apparently new labeling regulations have been created which require that any product that has up to 20 ppm of gluten can be labeled "gluten free". This is good, however, the regulation does not take effect until 2012!!! Until then, producers can label something as gluten-free up to 200 ppm. I got this information from:

http://www.foodingredientsfirst.com/produc...-Published.html

I agree with Riceguy here and of course when in doubt take it out!!!!! :)

Good luck and I hope you feel better fast!