ntfari09

Celiac Disease And Thyroid Problems

Rate this topic

I just found out that I have hypothyroidism... and I'm having trouble finding a gluten-free medication. My doc told me to take Synthroid but on www.glutenfreedrugs.com, it says that Synthroid can no longer be guaranteed gluten-free. Does anyone have any advice? I would really appreciate it!

-Nicole

I just found out that I have hypothyroidism... and I'm having trouble finding a gluten-free medication. My doc told me to take Synthroid but on www.glutenfreedrugs.com, it says that Synthroid can no longer be guaranteed gluten-free. Does anyone have any advice? I would really appreciate it!

-Nicole

You are correct...Synthroid cannot be guaranteed as gluten-free anymore. I use Levoxyl, which is the generic form of Synthroid. It is really inexpensive and I have had no problems with it at all. I also take a compounded T3 hormone because I needed the T3 and most Rx forms of thyroid replacement only contain T4 hormone.

There are also more natural routes to go, such as Armour thyroid. Some doctors will not prescribe this as they get all overanxious about the source. It is perfectly safe to use and contains both T3 and T4. It did not work as well for me so that is why I use the other brands. Many people here use Armour successfully, though.

FYI.....most doctors try to push Synthroid as they get rewards from pharmaceutical companies for doing so. It is expensive and works no better than any of the others, plus it may no longer be gluten-free.