This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hunger Pains All The Time

Run like an animal

Run like an animal Newbie

I have been gluten free for about three months now. Everything in my life has improved: sleep, energy, running fast as ever, no more joint pain, no longer anemic.. I could go on. But now I have a new problem. I feel hungry all the time even after I eat. I've tried eating more protein and fat, less carbs but no difference. The responses I have read say that my body is healing and that is why. Not very scientific. I would think when my body wasn't absorbing nutrients I should have been more hungry but I wasn't.

Any thoughts or explanations would be appreciated or websites that offer more information from doctors.

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ang1e0251 Contributor

I don't have any research to offer you there. I would say I was less hungry after. One of my gluten symptoms was constant ravenous hunger. But many seem to report they are very hungry at the start of their gluten-free diet. For whatever the reason your body is sending you a message just like it did when you ate gluten. It needs more food for now, so indulge it. You don't always have to understand it. Most report that in time the urge subsides, so, for now, feed yourself nutritiously as much as you need.

Sassy-1 Newbie

It could be from a lack of fiber. Fiber fills us up. Many people with gluten issues do not get enough fiber because of all the things we have to cut out of our diet.

One solution I have found is to follow the Glycemic Index diet/eating plan. There is one book in particular that offers the plan around gluten issues. It's the Glucose Revolution Series.

With this plan, I am eating healthy, losing weight and never feel hungry.

Run like an animal Newbie

Now the fiber sounds like something I can wrap my brain around. I used to have a very rich diet in fiber and now the only fiber I get on a regular basis is from fruit and vegetables. I've tried the quinoa but I don't eat it every day.

I will give it a try. Thanks.

Archived