Juliebove

Cross Contamination Again!

Rate this topic

Tonight we ate at the Old Spaghetti Factory. Ordered gluten-free pasta and a sausage for daughter. I don't have a problem with gluten but am allergic to eggs and dairy so regular pasta is out and so is most bread unless I know exactly what's in it.

Husband offered bread to daughter. That was the first mistake. Then I asked him to cut her sausage because he was closer to it. Then instead of using her knife to cut it, he used the bread knife! When she pointed this out to him, not only did he lie about it but my dad as well. Both of them said they hadn't used it on the bread. So then I asked them to show me which knife they used to cut the bread and my dad sheepishly admitted that it was in fact the bread knife. I told husband to eat the sausage and I ordered her a new one. *sigh*

I think you have to live this to get it. I have to be equally careful about cross-contamination. I know some people in my family (fortunately, not hubby) are sympathetic but also think I'm overdoing it and just being high-maintenance.

Even if the bread knife issue hadn't happened, there's always some risk of cross-contamination in places that serve both types of food. You only have to watch a programme that shows a catering kitchen to see how crazy it is in most establishments.

There's some research on here about B. lactis yogurt. Though I wouldn't trust it altogether, it would do no harm for you to get your daughter to eat one before going out to places where cross-contamination could be an issue, and it may help...