casnco

Ingredient Labels

Rate this topic

How are all of you handling ingredient labels? I was under the impression it was the law to disclose all of the major allergens now. So does that mean that "natural flavorings' will no longer be considered suspicious? If it doesn't say "wheat, oats, barley or rye" on the label shouldn't it be alright?

Thanks

Debbie

How are all of you handling ingredient labels? I was under the impression it was the law to disclose all of the major allergens now. So does that mean that "natural flavorings' will no longer be considered suspicious? If it doesn't say "wheat, oats, barley or rye" on the label shouldn't it be alright?

Thanks

Debbie

www.myefusjon.com/1debbie

Wheat is a major allergen; barley, rye and oats aren't. Celiac disease isn't an allergy but an autoimmune disorder. So allergen labeling helps a little (at least wheat is covered), but you still have to read through all the ingredients and root out the barley and especially the barley malt. There is a list of companies who never put gluten ingredients under natural flavors without specifying that they're there; I'll find it and add it on edit in a minute.

Edit: Here's a list as of 12/06: http://glutenfreeindy.com/foodlists/index....donothidegluten

Here's an 8/08 list: http://www.glutenfreeinsd.com/manufacturers_statements2.html

Thanks

Debbie

It means that natural flavors are much lower on the concern list because wheat was the major problem there. If barley is used it will almost always be listed as malt. Never heard of rye or oats in natural flavors and actually never heard of either being hidden, but I guess it's possible. I no longer, however, call a company just because of natural flavors. That's my personal choice and not a recommendation.

richard