glutenfreejenny

My Legs Look Smaller When Gluten Free

Rate this topic

Since going gluten free I've noticed a weight gain. I've went up two pant sizes. It's probably because I can now eat a lot more even though I'm not eating bread. But I've noticed a weird thing. When I am gluten free I think my legs look skinnier. It's weird, my stomach is bigger because I'm eating more but my legs look a lot thinner. And when I accidentally eat gluten they look almost swollen. Is this normal?? Has anyone else noticed this??? I am anemic and take iron and when I get gluten I don't think I absorb the iron correctly...could it be that? It just seems weird. When I'm gluten free my calves and ankles look a lot slimmer.

Sounds like you're retaining water. Are you positive that gluten is the only thing making you swell up? It can also be caused by certain autoimmune disorders (like lupus) and kidney disorders (which are a lot more common than you might think). For what it's worth, the gluten-free diet should help with both of those problems... my fingers have become so skinny that my rings were falling off ;)

Since going gluten free I've noticed a weight gain. I've went up two pant sizes. It's probably because I can now eat a lot more even though I'm not eating bread. But I've noticed a weird thing. When I am gluten free I think my legs look skinnier. It's weird, my stomach is bigger because I'm eating more but my legs look a lot thinner. And when I accidentally eat gluten they look almost swollen. Is this normal?? Has anyone else noticed this??? I am anemic and take iron and when I get gluten I don't think I absorb the iron correctly...could it be that? It just seems weird. When I'm gluten free my calves and ankles look a lot slimmer.

As far as iron/vitamin absorption, I was depleted.My doc didnt even know how I could even ride my bicycle.She put me on 1,000 mg prescription iron 1 mg prescription folic acid and monthly B-12 shots for next 13 months.

Along with finally absorbing,and the supplements is maybe why I had an incredible weight/gain pace.The next 6 months I put on 54 pounds,and I needed it,I was a skeleton. Then the gain just stopped.

Chuck

Jenny, is there a difference in muscle tone before and after? I know with me, my legs and arms are building muscle like crazy - something I could never do whilst eating gluten.

Jenny, is there a difference in muscle tone before and after? I know with me, my legs and arms are building muscle like crazy - something I could never do whilst eating gluten.

Can anyone help?

I'm having extreme trouble gaining weight. I've started resistance training to build bone and muscle but cannot eat enough to keep from losing. Do you have any suggestions?

auntcgm

I feel like my whole body looks big and swollen all over when I eat Gluten (or soy). I'm bloated in my belly, but everything looks big to me, and I am a pretty small person. My face also looks puffy. It makes me crazy. It's almost harder for me to avoid Soy than Gluten.

I'm getting my blood tests done soon so I know what I'm lacking..I wish I could gain 54lbs in 6 months lol, but that would look ugly on me