amh04

Celiac's & Menstrual Issues

Rate this topic

I have been Gluten Free for 3 years now, I'm 24 years old. Previously I was on Birth control, but have been birth control free for about 1 year. In the past 3 or so months I have only had one period, its absolutely impossible that I'm pregnant. Prior to birth control I maintained a regular period. I have never been tested for Celiac's, but wondering if prior to going Gluten Free had I possibly done internal damage beyond repair that could being causing my menstrual issues. Maybe this is totally unrelated and it could be another health issue i.e. thyroid issues which run in my family. However curious if any others could lead me in the right direction or know of any links between celiacs and menstrual issues. Also, should be noted I maintain a normal weight, prior to gluten free I was actually a little heavier, but I'm very active, eat well and maintain a normal healthy weight, so missed menses is not because I'm underweight.

I am also 24 years old and I have not had a real period in over 5 years. They contributed it to hypothalamic dysfunction, however I am not sold on the idea. I was really overweight and then underweight, now I am on the low side of the weight scale, but I am healthy and eat right. I was on birth control for awhile, but it made me feel awful, so I quit taking it (haven't told my doctors yet). Feel free to message me more, it is nice to know someone my own age who is experiencing this.

I am also 24 years old and I have not had a real period in over 5 years. They contributed it to hypothalamic dysfunction, however I am not sold on the idea. I was really overweight and then underweight, now I am on the low side of the weight scale, but I am healthy and eat right. I was on birth control for awhile, but it made me feel awful, so I quit taking it (haven't told my doctors yet). Feel free to message me more, it is nice to know someone my own age who is experiencing this.

Hi, Cara

I just looked into hypothalamic dysfunction because I hadn't heard of it before, I'm wondering if you suffer from the frequent urination as well? I'm at a loss at this point, and now I'm also without insurance and not sure I can afford to get to the bottom of this. I thought I had pinpointed Gluten as the culprit but with the lack of period now along with other systems I no longer believe are "normal" I'm wondering what this could be. How long have you been Gluten Free and did you notice changes with the diet? Did you notice your weight loss after going gluten free? I was about 15 pounds heavier before gluten free on a small 5"2 frame, but all that weight loss was pure inflammation from what I believe to be the gluten. Also good to have found someone my age that is can relate, good luck and hope to hear from you.

The problems may not be related to celiac at all. I'm 29 and used to have regular periods, but then I went on the Nuvaring when I started to have ovarian cysts bursting frequently. I've been off of birth control for about 9 months, and in the past 110 days, I've only ovulated once. I just went to my obgyn two weeks ago, and she said everything looks normal and my pap was fine, but I have oligoovulation--it's not really something that's dangerous, and it doesn't necessarily stem from something more serious (after running all of the appropriate tests). She said it's not really a problem, except that it can be more of a challenge to conceive since you never really know when you're ovulating. My grandmother, who's not from the side of the family that the celiac came from, used to have the same problem, and she ended up having 4 children, so for now I'll just cross my fingers that I'll ovulate again soon, but I won't really worry about it too much. The doctor said if I'm really anxious to get pregnant, I can try Clomid, but that at my age, it's not necessary.

I am 29 years old. I have always had issues with my period. I have never had regular periods. I have gone 18 months without a period. I started to have regluar periods about 45 days apart after going gluten free. Now I am not having any. The doctors don't know the cause. I was on birth control when I was 16 to reglulate my periods. I took myself off of it because I had severe PMDD with it. I would literally blackout and not remember anything I said or did. I was told on an amenorrhea forum not to use birth control for this problem. It can make you become infertile. It is better to practice Natural Family Planning.

We must be about the same size. I am 5'2" as well and yes I do have frequent urination. I was on medication for awhile but it didn't help a whole lot and I like you believe my overweight (I lost 80 lbs in like 4 months - don't know how, I guess I just deflated) was from inflammation. Let me know what you find out.