Jackie927

Too Much Homocysteine

Rate this topic

Hello Everyone,

I have written a few post re: celiac or not, blood and biopsy negative but possible intolerant. Losing my Vit. D and IGA deficient. My question is: What is Homocysteine, Nutritional too much. I am not deficient. I have am higher than normal and my Dr. said she did not know what it meant. She said she knew what deficient was but did not know the other end. Does anyone know about this? If so, is it okay to be higher? Will it hurt me? Is there a way to regulate this? Any info would be great. Thank you. Jackie

There's a great website called Understanding your Lab Tests Online

This is what it said about elevated homocysteine: "Recent studies have suggested that people who have elevated homocysteine levels have a much greater risk of heart attack or stroke than those with average levels. Increased concentrations of homocysteine have been associated with an increased tendency to form inappropriate blood clots. When this happens it can lead to heart attack, strokes, and blood vessel blockages in any part of the body."

that *sounds* bad but you should read up on it. I can't believe your doctor didn't know. Either way- hope you find out more and that this website helps.

I have high homocysteine levels too. It was discovered during a blood test for a clotting disorder (that might be something you want to talk to your doctor about?), and it was also discovered that I have mutated MTHFR genes.

So, yes, I have a clotting disorder but a "very mild one" according to the person that analyzed my labs.

I take low dose aspirin for the clotting disorder, and high doses of B12 and folic acid for the high homocysteine levels.

Don't know yet if it's done any good, as I haven't had any re-tests since dx'd in February.

Do you have a copy of your lab paper work? Just curious how high yours was.

I can't believe a doctor would be so clueless about it. That's really quit sad. Aside from what's been posted, it's a good indicator of your folic/B12 levels. In fact, if you're vegan, it's recommended that you get a homocysteine test to judge your B12 level that way (since the other methods can have false analogs or something). If it comes out high, it's a good indicator your B12 levels are low.

There's more to it than that, and Understanding your Lab Tests Online is a great resource, but if you're Celiac and have a high homocysteine level, I'd have my focus squarely on B12. We all know how common b12 deficiency is with Celiacs.

Thank you so much everyone. I was back to the Dr. 2 days ago and she said I misunderstood her and that my Homocysteine was low. She did all of my blood work over again and is checking my B 12 also. She said I will need my blood checked about 2 to 3 times a year. Say's I'm gluten intolerant which supposedly goes hand in hand with IGA deficient and should follow the gluten-free way, which I have been sticking to. Will know in a week or two what the new results are and see whats going on now. Thanks again.