glutengal

Possible Misdiagnosis

Rate this topic

Was wonder if it is possible to be misdiagnosed with hypothyroidism and actually have celiac? Also had negative blood test and negative biopsy for celiac but biopsy showed gastritis, could this also be a misdiagnosis? Decided to try gluten free diet 2 months ago and feeling much better. Headaches, stomach aches, congestion and runny nose have cleared up. Has anyone else been diagnosed with hypothyroidism or gastritis and later found out they actually had celiac?

Was wonder if it is possible to be misdiagnosed with hypothyroidism and actually have celiac? Also had negative blood test and negative biopsy for celiac but biopsy showed gastritis, could this also be a misdiagnosis? Decided to try gluten free diet 2 months ago and feeling much better. Headaches, stomach aches, congestion and runny nose have cleared up. Has anyone else been diagnosed with hypothyroidism or gastritis and later found out they actually had celiac?

Here are some articles on Thyroid Disease in association with Celiac:

http://www.celiac.com/categories/Celiac-Di...Celiac-Disease/

As Lisa pointed out, it's very common for someone with celiac disease to have an autoimmune thyroid disease as well. In fact, celiac disease, which causes increased production of the cytokine zonulin, has been fingered as the possible culprit in the development of many other autoimmune diseases:

http://www.umm.edu/news/releases/zonulin.htm

I very much doubt that you have been misdiagnosed with hypothyroidism. You likely have both problems....as do I. In fact I have seven distinct autoimmune diseases! :(

Good luck with everything!

JoAnn

As Lisa pointed out, it's very common for someone with celiac disease to have an autoimmune thyroid disease as well. In fact, celiac disease, which causes increased production of the cytokine zonulin, has been fingered as the possible culprit in the development of many other autoimmune diseases:

http://www.umm.edu/news/releases/zonulin.htm

I very much doubt that you have been misdiagnosed with hypothyroidism. You likely have both problems....as do I. In fact I have seven distinct autoimmune diseases! :(

Good luck with everything!

JoAnn

Thanks to you and Lisa

I also have asthma that came on as an adult and runs in my family, as well as my mother also has hypothyroidism. Daughter has hypothyroidism that was brought on from radiation treatments due to brain tumor as a child. No know family history of celiac but daughter also has many problems with digestion and I have tried the gluten-free diet with her also and it seems to be helping. Just can't get a definite diagnosis as to celiac disease. Don't know what has caused myself and my mother to be hypothyroid. I found out when I had blood work done and routine checkup. Really had no signs physically to indicate being hypothyroid as I wasn't feeling any different.

This is kind of uncomfortable to talk about ... but I did have an incident about six months ago where I felt nauseous and had diarrhea (a whole lot) that had alot... of blood in it that only lasted about an hour and then cleared up. I have not had anymore blood since. I was then constipated with no BM for 14 days and becoming concerned went to Dr. who told me to take Miralax and finally about 2 days later started having small BM's that were very narrow but no signs of blood at all. Lower back ached very badly where I could not stand for very long. Had a CT done and Dr. said everything looked OK. After using Miralax about a week BM's started to return to normal and no problems since. Very strange thing with the amount of blood and I do know for sure in was not due to menstrual cycle (as I had that 2 weeks before) and the blood was coming out anal not vaginal. Could any of this be due to possible celiac?