Rhoger1

Intolerance Testing Labs

Rate this topic

Hi All,

Was wondering if there are any recommendations on testing labs for food intolerances that have worked. I see York, Elisa and Lame Advertisement....wondering if there are any good or bad experiences with either of these.

Thanks

Hi All,

Was wondering if there are any recommendations on testing labs for food intolerances that have worked. I see York, Elisa and Lame Advertisement....wondering if there are any good or bad experiences with either of these.

Thanks

I don't know about those but there is also enterolab.

I believe ELISA is an allergy test. I have never heard of York. Enterolab offers several food sensitivity tests.

The ELISA is a method for testing food intolerances (IgG reactions) and it is also the method used by the York Test. I used the York test at first, which came back with only slight intolerance to yeast - which I knew did not make sense - so I wasn't very impressed.

I then used the Cambridge Nutritional Sciences, who use ELISA and in fact they developed the test in the first place (in the UK). This returned a range of intolerances most of which were in line with my suspicions but also a few surprises. Interestingly my dietician, who knew what her intolerances are also did the Cambridge test and they came pretty much spot on with her previous results from another company.

I contacted York who gave only very unintelligent replies to my questioning so, again, not terribly impressed. I know I won't be using them again. Although the tests have often been criticised for being unreliable I can definitely say that having the Cambridge test results makes it much easier for me to do the elimination diet (which is not an easy thing to do). Sadly it does not give prescription of what you can and cannot eat but it does offer useful pointers.

Are you going to have the test done?

I've researched them and basically there is no scientified evidence that these methods can detect food intolerances, however I'm going to try another one. Ive done Enterolab and results were spot on to what what I was having issues with. The only problem is they only test a limited amount of food groups. I am going to Try the Al Cat (one word, but this system keeps calling it Lame advertising). One nice thing is that it tells which foods are ok to eat and which foods are slightly sensitive (avoid 3-6 months) and extremely sensitive (i.e avoid for 6 months min).

I've consulted with my GI, an he's agreed to sign the perscription to do it, but cautioned me not to be too hopeful. He's open to working with me and seeing how it works out.

Interesting thing is I'm sensitive to many, many foods but all GI tests come back ok through Colonoscopy, Endosocopy, CT Scans, Stool and Blood Samples over the past 5 months.

I am doing SCD diet for the past 6 weeks slowly adding legal foods and have noticed huge improvements in such a short time as I suspect my Gut is healing..

I'll keep you posted as to whether or not that test works..