Rate this topic

I have had this problem for quite some time. When I wake up my fore arm and hand are asleep primarily on my left side. I have alway attributed this to sleeping on my side and compressing the nerve in my arm.

But lately the numbness has been staying for a while - like it's now 1pm in the afternoon and I still have some numbness in tips of my ring and pinky fingers. Can this be a side effect of gluten? I have been gluten free for a month and I am very vigilent about reading label and eating cleanly - no cheating and very little processed foods.

Anyone else with these issues and do they clear up after a longer period of being gluten-free?

Do you rest your elbows on a table or desk? That can cause a problem in the pinky, ring and part of the middle finger. Have you ever had a nerve conduction test?

Do you rest your elbows on a table or desk? That can cause a problem in the pinky, ring and part of the middle finger. Have you ever had a nerve conduction test?

I don't rest them - I work part time as a personal trainer & yoga instructor - and the rest of the time I am looking after my two young children. I also have never had my nerves tested...

I have had this problem for quite some time. When I wake up my fore arm and hand are asleep primarily on my left side. I have alway attributed this to sleeping on my side and compressing the nerve in my arm.

But lately the numbness has been staying for a while - like it's now 1pm in the afternoon and I still have some numbness in tips of my ring and pinky fingers. Can this be a side effect of gluten? I have been gluten free for a month and I am very vigilent about reading label and eating cleanly - no cheating and very little processed foods.

Anyone else with these issues and do they clear up after a longer period of being gluten-free?

It's pretty much the classic symptom of B12 deficiency, in turn pretty much the classic symptom of celiac sprue. It's called peripheral neuropathy. Mine cleared up quickly, almost immediately in fact. Some people take longer and some people have suffered enough gut damage that they can no longer take in vitamin B12. It can take as long as two years for the symptoms to go away. You might want to consider B12 supplements. Most people get the most benefit from the sublingual tablets.

I get this all the time, in my left thumb, first and middle fingers. They tingle and then go numb. I very seldom feel it on the right hand but it has happened.

Not long before I was diagnosed and went gluten-free, I also started experiencing numbness and tingling (my decline was very rapid once my celiac disease triggered full blown). These have almost completely cleared up after 3+ months gluten-free/SF/CF.

All of my test were negative but I have the same problem with my left side also. It's also my ring and pinky finger but my whole left side has tingling, numbness and pain. Can't help you, just wanted you to know you're not alone. Hope gluten-free works for you. I'm still waiting after gluten-free for a total of 2 weeks........was a month but had to eat for biopsy.

It's pretty much the classic symptom of B12 deficiency, in turn pretty much the classic symptom of celiac sprue. It's called peripheral neuropathy. Mine cleared up quickly, almost immediately in fact. Some people take longer and some people have suffered enough gut damage that they can no longer take in vitamin B12. It can take as long as two years for the symptoms to go away. You might want to consider B12 supplements. Most people get the most benefit from the sublingual tablets.

Exactly. A few months after being gluten free, I began taking sublingual B12 supplements & a liquid B complex & B6. (Err. I was a bit B-deficient according to blood work.) Anyhow, all this weird tingly/numbness in my fingers subsided after another month or two! First thing I did was pick up a guitar. :) It's still present but very, very mild - barely noticeable in comparison.

You probably want to look into B12 supplements. (Although, sublingual is far better. I don't absorb the plain capsules - it's like ingesting nothing.)