fletch22

Light Cases Of Celiac

Rate this topic

I had a small bite of cheese while in Peru 20 minutes later I could feel the effects coming on, though great!!! But only slight headache and to the bano only twice and then pretty much gone except that yucky feeling. I ate 1/2 teaspoon of heinze steak sauce once and I was going to dye for 2 days. Any ideas

I have never heard of a light case of Celiac. I have heard of people reacting differently to different foods. When I ate 100% whole wheat pasta I would spend the next 2 hours in the restroom and have to spend the next day in bed. When I ate something that wasn't so concentrated with gluten I would still get ill but it wouldn't be as extreme. Sometimes people react differently to different amounts of gluten or some people may have bad reactions to wheat but not so bad reactions to barley. Maybe that is what you experienced.

I had a small bite of cheese while in Peru 20 minutes later I could feel the effects coming on, though great!!! But only slight headache and to the bano only twice and then pretty much gone except that yucky feeling. I ate 1/2 teaspoon of heinze steak sauce once and I was going to dye for 2 days. Any ideas

It's possible to be celiac and to have no apparent symptoms. However, there's no such thing as a slight case of celiac disease. If you're celiac and you eat gluten, your intestines are being damaged whether or not you can tell that it's happening.

Cheese doesn't normally have gluten in it. Heinz Steak Sauce (or anyway, Heinz Traditional Steak Sauce) is on this list from Heinz as being gluten-free: http://www.glutenfreehomemaker.com/2009/06...luten-free.html (Heinz 57 isn't, though.)

Maybe you have another sensitivity. It's quite common for celiacs to be sensitive to dairy foods, such as cheese. If cheese is sending you to the bathroom in 20 minutes, it sounds like lactose intolerance; that was exactly how long it took to send me there when I was lactose intolerant. You can probably get lactase enzyme (called Lactaid in the US) to take when eating cheese and the problem goes away entirely (if it's only lactose intolerance).

In the case of the steak sauce, presumably you got the kind with malt vinegar. Gets you every time.

Welcome to the board, and good luck finding a solution.

I think you are experiencing a mild reaction to cc (cross contamination). Maybe the cheese had come into contact with bread or was on a cutting board used for bread, maybe whoever handled it had touched gluten before, etc.

And even thought the steak sauce might have been fine, perhaps the steak was not (grilled on a contaminated pan/ grill, etc.) There are lots of hidden ways gluten can sneak in.

I also have both mild cc and severe full out reactions, depending on how much I ingest. I think that is kind of common.

Good luck figuring things out for yourself.

PS-- Perhaps a "slight glutening" would be a good way to say this.