kiwi_mum

Kids With Differing Symptoms...

Rate this topic

I have a 3 yr old DD with multiple food allergies (incl wheat) and an 18 mth DS with no food allergies. Both eat extremely well with lots of fruit, veges, grains and meat and only drink milk (or soy for DD) and water and limited diluted juice on occasion.

I had only thought of this for DD - she suffers from loose b/ms constantly and sometimes it contains a tremedous amount of mucus. She complains of tummy ache from time to time. And as you can imagine it doesn't help with potty training

DS on the other hand seems to be constantly constipated, was on a bowel softener which works but of course that doesn't solve the problem.

So I am waiting for the blood results to come back for DD but am wondering if after reading other people's symptoms whether or not DS could also have Celiac. I am at a loss as to how two kids who eat virtually the same can be polar opposite for b/ms.

Of course if DD's blood results come back as neg I will be totally stumped and at a loss for the cause of this.

Hello. Both Celiac disease and gluten intolerance can present with so many symptoms it would not be uncommon for your children to have different issues. I have twin daughters who the doctors are very sure have Celiac (awaiting final test results) and one of them had constipation for years then in the last two had constant loose stools with lots of mucous. Her twin sister never had either bathroom problem but had stomach pain, reflux, headaches. Some of their symptoms were the same such as muscles aches, dental hypoplasia but some were very different, and they are identical twins who eat and drink exactly the same. Good luck to you and your little ones! It is so very hard to know something isn't right with your children but not know what it is.

Hi

Please also rememebr that blood tests are not always accurate especially at this young age. My daughter who was 22 months was tested for it and the only symptoms that she might have had were constipation and acid reflux..... nothing else till she jsut stopped eating and drinking anything.... Long story short ened up with feeding tube and ended up with a biopcie to check her acid reflux and found early warnign stages of celiac's disease......

SO my advice to you is if a glutten free diet works then go with it...

Hi! I have two boys 3 and 16 mths. My older boy had the same symptoms as your child. I had him tested and it was negative. I found out that children under 5 have high false negatives. So I put both of my kids on the Gluten free diet. They have been on it for 4 months now. And all of my sons symptoms are gone. No more stomachaches, mucus bowels etc etc. It was wonderful. My younger child has also benefit from the diet. He grew 2 1/2 inches the first 2 months. If you get a negative still try the diet you will see a world of difference. The first 2 months are the hardest. YOu will get used to it. Don't be surprised if your 3yr old is REALLY hipper or has melt downs. It will calm down once they are used to the diet. GOod luck!!

thanks for the replies, I am trying to be patient and wait for the doctor to call us back today.

anita