passionfruit877

Still Feeling Sick...how Long Does It Usually Take?

Rate this topic

I don't know if I have a gluten intolerance. I have been to the doctor several times over the past 2 years about my constant constipation and bloating. I feel sick ever time I eat. Eating makes me feel miserable. I have been told I simply have IBS and need more fiber. I know there has to be a better answer, because I think fiber makes it worse. After reading about gluten intolerance it sounded so much like me, and I realized it would make so much sense. I am going to talk to a doctor this week, and was wonder what kind of test they will do if I ask about gluten intolerance. I stopped eating gluten about 2 weeks ago with mixed results. The first week was good, I had more energy and got bloated only once. This week was not as good. I am also curious, should I not have stopped eating gluten before seeing a doctor? I'm not sure what to do now that I suspect this is my problem. Can anyone give me any advice?

I don't know if I have a gluten intolerance. I have been to the doctor several times over the past 2 years about my constant constipation and bloating. I feel sick ever time I eat. Eating makes me feel miserable. I have been told I simply have IBS and need more fiber. I know there has to be a better answer, because I think fiber makes it worse. After reading about gluten intolerance it sounded so much like me, and I realized it would make so much sense. I am going to talk to a doctor this week, and was wonder what kind of test they will do if I ask about gluten intolerance. I stopped eating gluten about 2 weeks ago with mixed results. The first week was good, I had more energy and got bloated only once. This week was not as good. I am also curious, should I not have stopped eating gluten before seeing a doctor? I'm not sure what to do now that I suspect this is my problem. Can anyone give me any advice?

Well there's gluten intolerance, gluten sensitivity, wheat allergy and celiac disease. The first two, I'm not sure you can be tested for. I think the genetic tests advertised all over the site can tell you something about them, but for a definitive answer you'll have to wait on someone better informed. A wheat allergy, like other food allergies, can be tested for by an allergist. Celiac disease is tested for with a blood test and then a biopsy of the small intestine. To be tested for celiac disease, you do need to keep eating gluten until all tests are done.

To answer your original question, recovery time varies. Some people find the gluten-free diet to be a miracle cure; some have to wait weeks or months for improvement. Many of us do better giving up dairy as well. Many of us also have food allergies as well as celiac disease (which is an autoimmune disorder, not an allergy). So it still might be a good idea for you to see an allergist.

In case you haven't seen it already, here's what the Mayo Clinic has to say about chronic constipation: http://www.mayoclinic.org/constipation/

Welcome to the board, good luck, and I hope you find your answer soon.