This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

New Member..need A Little Help

SabrinaLuvsGluten

SabrinaLuvsGluten Apprentice

Hi all, hope Im doing this correctly. I am just starting a gluten free diet, because celiac is suspected. I have so many of the symptoms, and my c4 complement test came back abnormal, and malnutrition could cause that. They have ruled out pretty much everything else. Im really sad about it all. I have also very recently acquired a sulfite allergy, so my foods are extremely limited, because I react to high levesl of natural sulfur too. My husband still eats gluten, so its going to be hard for me not to worry about cross contamination issues in my OWN HOUSE, which is very stressful. I am looked at some of the threads, and it seems like dove shampoo and conditioners are supposed to be gluten-free, as well as the soaps, and colgate products. Am I correct about all this? Also, bare essentials makeup is gluten-free, correct? Can someone please tell me some more everyday items that are safe? Any advice is GREATLY appreciated. I am so stressed with the new allergies and food limitations, hungry all the time, and an emotional mess. I also have a 20 month old and an 8 month old to take care of so that makes it even harder, and they both have food allergies as well. Thank you in advance anyone who can help.

Sabrina

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Yes the whole bare escentuals makeup line is gluten free. That's all I use now :D

All of Dove products are gluten free unless they say wheat,rye,barley,oats on the label.

Colgate and Crest toothpastes are gluten free.

Also there are some Neutrogena products that are gluten free...I posted a big list under the product section a while ago..if you can't find it email me and I will send it to you.

If your husband continues to eat gluten make sure after he eats some he brushes his teeth or mouthwashes (with gluten-free products) to ensure you do not get contaminated.

You will find out so much info from this site and there are so many great brands out there to get so hang in there...it gets easier when you know what to look for.

Make sure you do not go gluten free until you have completed testing because it can alter results.

https://www.celiac.com/st_main.html?p_catid=12

Here is a link to lists that are safe and forbidden for celiacs. This will help as a guideline. There are also a bunch of brands like Kraft that will not hide anything on labels...they will list wheat,rye,barley,oats if they have any.

If you need any help let me know...good luck :D

Guest Leidenschaft

Hi Sabrina, sounds like you're feeling overwhelmed! :unsure: The good think is... that's normal! :D

My husband and I share a kitchen, and he is not gluten-free. With careful planning and thoughtfullness on his part, it can be done quite safely!

I'm fortunate to have lots of cupboard space so I have clearly labelled my cupboards as containing SAFE foods, that we both can eat that are just naturally gluten-free, Gluten Free Products ONLY, which are the expensive gluten-free specialty foods that I use.

Btw, my husband and all the kids and grandkids LOVE my gluten free pancakes! I use Pamela's Pancake and Baking mix! Better than Aunt Jemima hoped to be! :lol: Also, my hubby is now completely switched over to brown rice pasta! I bet your family won't know the difference, especially the spaghetti! Tinkyada is the favourite brand by most board members!

Okay, losing my train here... The last cupboard in the house is NOT SAFE, which contains anything contaminated that my hubby uses, noodles, canned pasta etc for the kids, crackers, cookies etc. With little ones in the house you may have to make that cupboard high up if they are also going to go gluten-free.

Ron has one corner of the kitchen for his bread and toaster, my toaster is on the opposite side. Ron keeps his crumbs cleaned up, and I'm very careful about preparing ANY food in his corner. I use paper towel or wax paper in the microwave to avoid any contamination as well. I can't think of a single time where I've been "glutinated" as a result of his carelessness. In fact he's been known to caution me a time or two! :lol:

I'm more likely to get glutinated feeding my 11 dogs than I am in my own kitchen! Yes, you need to watch the pet food too! :blink:

When feeling like you can't cope, come here to do some reading! Some threads may alarm you, some may soothe, but all will inform, and chuckles are readily available!

As Kaiti mentioned, do not go completely gluten-free until you get a conclusive diagnosis. It's much easier to continue on gluten now then have to introduce it again later when you're body is toxin free! :unsure:

Welcome, and good luck!

Btw, Kaiti, isn't it time to trade the scarf and hat in for a spring frock?? :lol:

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

Haha yeah...haven't been able to get a new pic up yet...Ive been too busy to take one and then put it on...I'll get one eventually

tarnalberry Community Regular

Sabrina,

Welcome! I'm sorry you have to be here, but glad you found the place. I'd encourage you to look around at the posts for a while - starting the gluten-free diet can be overwhelming, and you're likely to make mistakes at first, because there's a lot to learn. But like any habit, you'll get it eventually, and you'll find what works for you.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I think what I am worried about most is the x contamination issues in my kitchen, with my husband still eating gluten. Our kitchen space is limited, so its going to be hard to keep things separate, but I know it can be done. I really felt better reading everyones posts, and have continued to read things in the forum as I get a chance to get better informed. I will post questions as I go, and I really appreciate being able to have people to talk too that are dealing with the same things. I paid 8 dollars for some stupid shampoo because it was sulfate free, then look at the ingredients last night while I was using it and it has WHEAT protein in it! UGH. I am going to go buy some Dove shampoo and conditioner. I love their products anyway! I already use colgate toothpaste, so thats a good thing. Does anyone know about listerine? Thats what my husband uses for mouthwash..I better email the company and see what they say. I have even gone as far as to write the company of the brand papertowels I use, but am waiting on a response. I am going to try that Tinkyada brown rice penne pasta tonight! Thanks again!

Guest nini

my husband doesn't need to be gluten-free, and he has his own cabinet with his non gluten-free foods, but more and more he is starting to eat what I make for my daughter and me.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Well, I have noticed since I have had to stop eating any processed foods because of the sulfite thing, that My husband has been wanting to sample my food.. I have very limited things I can eat right now, but he always wants to taste my "creations". Im thinking I may be able to get him to like the same things I eat, ofcourse, I cant expect him to go COMPLETELY gluten free I dont guess, but as far as the pastas, and things like that, I may be able to pull it off. I have got to find him some gluten free hair products though. He uses Aussie hair gel and its has wheat in it. Does anyone know of a gluten free hair gel? I need one too!!!

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

I know Listerine FreshBurst is gluten free...thats what I use..I know a few other ones are too...if you contact them they will tell you all of their products that are.

Tinkyada pastas are awesome...I don't think your husband could tell a difference...my family who are not celiacs eat gluten free along with me and they love it.

Guest nini

for hair styling gels, I use Agree or Dep... but I am sure there are other's out there that are also gluten-free.

I've had to force my hubby to stop using a body oil that had wheat in it... sheesh, he loved the stuff, but I would break out in a horrible rash anytime he got near me!

tarnalberry Community Regular

As for x-contamination:

My husband is not gluten-free. Being a picky eater, and one who eats a lot of things made from wheat, I can't really ask him to. But what he eats is fairly self-contained: crackers, bread (not as sandwhiches, just as eating bread), frozen entrees for lunch at work, cold cereal, frozen waffles, and oatmeal. Dinner (and often lunch, and occasionally breakfast) are shared meals and gluten-free. While I'm not as familiar with the sulfite restrictions, gluten-free meals... well, lots of things are naturally gluten-free, and still very tasty. We all have a different answer on this one, but to me, gluten's not necessary in a diet, so I'm not going to cook it for anyone else. Obviously he's welcome to his own - our toaster is for his use only (no sharing toasters!) - I'm just not going to make it. It really hasn't been a problem, he'll even share my pancakes and waffles sometimes. :-) (He really doesn't like gluten-free flours nearly as much...)

Thanks! I am going to go get me and my husband some gluten-free hair gel...I notice that I get a headache when I use the hairgel with wheat in it..and uses the same one so it doesnt do me much good to switch to gluten-free when he is still wearing it! I ate the Tinkyada tonight...very tasty. I guess I have alot of companies to contact. I have contacted a few, but am still waiting a response. I contacted curel about their lotion because that is what I use for my children and myself. I HOPE its gluten free because I really like it, and the kids arent allergic to it! Do I have to call about perfumes too? I wear all Victoria Secret perfumes..anybody know if they are safe?

celiac3270 Collaborator

Here's are two gluten-free foodlists/medlists...not always 100% reliable, though, so still contact:

Open Original Shared Link

Open Original Shared Link

I would highly recommend you go to Open Original Shared Link ....they have an amazing, constantly updated, reliable gluten-free product listing (with all the foods, medications, even toothpastes, dental floss, etc. You need to register (free), but to find the forum, go to Open Original Shared Link , then go to "heatlh and wellness" on the side, then the first option should be a Celiac Disease Online Support Group or something. Go there.

Besides having a constantly updated list, they have a list of companies that clearly list gluten in the FAQ section on the board and there's a woman there, Mireille, who owns a restaurant and posts about 15 recipes DAILY....she is constantly posting there (about 28,000 posts, actually) and if you're ever trying to make bread and it flops or something, she'll be able to pinpoint exactly why :lol::D

COOL! Thanks for think link!!!

Sabrina

Archived