This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Eating

pandybear

pandybear Newbie

:o im after some information i have been diagiosed with coelics about 5 yrs ago but i get no symptons except the odd blouting. I have tried to do the diet but found it very hard so gave up, every 6 months im supposed to go hospital to be checked i started going and telling them i had stuck to diet even though my blood count was so high they said i must be super sensitive lol. I have now totally given up on diet and avoid hospital but am worried what other damage i could be doing to my system :(. i have been told in the past i could get cancer in the stomach but because i get no symptoms i just dont stick to the diet, i know its wrong but i just need some advice. I have m.s. and thats how my coelics was found out apparently they are related. Could either of my daughter have it as well?? pls pls i am after answers if someone tells me what will happen if i carry on eating gluten then i will give it up but at moment im being naughty as i get no effects except the odd blooting. pls feel free to e mail me or reply on here this is my first time of goin on here so not sure how it works.

many thanks andrea

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

untreated celiac disease increases your chances of intestinal and stomach cancer, lymphoma (blood cancer), osteoporosis and anemia (and other deficiency induced conditions), neuropathy, and - on average - will shorten your life span by 10 years.

if the risk of these conditions is not as worrisome to you as having to refuse a friend's cookies, or skipping a bagel... well, that is a choice. it may be an eventually unpleasant and expensive, choice, however, and one that may kill you.

yes, celiac disease is genetic, and either or both of your daughters could have it.

pandybear Newbie
untreated celiac disease increases your chances of intestinal and stomach cancer, lymphoma (blood cancer), osteoporosis and anemia (and other deficiency induced conditions), neuropathy, and - on average - will shorten your life span by 10 years.

if the risk of these conditions is not as worrisome to you as having to refuse a friend's cookies, or skipping a bagel... well, that is a choice. it may be an eventually unpleasant and expensive, choice, however, and one that may kill you.

yes, celiac disease is genetic, and either or both of your daughters could have it.

many thanks you have already given me the boot up the backside i needed just by reading your few words :( how do i get my daughters tested as one is scared stiff of needles.

brigala Explorer

Not all insurance companies pay for it, but there is a test you can order for the kids from Enterolab.com which does not involve any needles. They actually take a stool sample. Maybe your kids won't object to giving up a little poo in order to avoid a needle. :) It's also supposed to be a much more sensitive test. Enterolab also offers a genetic test which will determine whether your daughters are at risk for developing Celiac even if they don't currently have it.

You may find if you stick to the Gluten-Free diet that some of your M.S. symptoms may clear up a little. Perhaps that will give you the incentive you need. I must sympathize with you. I can imagine it would be very hard to give up if you don't have any symptoms. For me, cheating is not an option -- I would just as soon eat rat poison as gluten because it makes me feel so bad. But quitting gluten is a lot like quitting smoking. Even though you know it's killing you it's still hard.

If either of your children also has Celiac maybe it would make sense to just create a totally gluten-free kitchen. That way everything in the kitchen is safe for the entire family. It's really really hard at first, but it DOES get easier. I eat better now than I ever have before, because I've learned to cook from scratch. It's hard not to be able to eat out whenever I want, but... I didn't even know it was POSSIBLE to make chinese food at home until I was faced with never eating Sweet & Sour Chicken again unless I made it myself. ;-)

Stick around this forum and you'll learn a lot about how to cook and take care of yourself and your family.

-Elizabeth

pandybear Newbie
Not all insurance companies pay for it, but there is a test you can order for the kids from Enterolab.com which does not involve any needles. They actually take a stool sample. Maybe your kids won't object to giving up a little poo in order to avoid a needle. :) It's also supposed to be a much more sensitive test. Enterolab also offers a genetic test which will determine whether your daughters are at risk for developing Celiac even if they don't currently have it.

You may find if you stick to the Gluten-Free diet that some of your M.S. symptoms may clear up a little. Perhaps that will give you the incentive you need. I must sympathize with you. I can imagine it would be very hard to give up if you don't have any symptoms. For me, cheating is not an option -- I would just as soon eat rat poison as gluten because it makes me feel so bad. But quitting gluten is a lot like quitting smoking. Even though you know it's killing you it's still hard.

If either of your children also has Celiac maybe it would make sense to just create a totally gluten-free kitchen. That way everything in the kitchen is safe for the entire family. It's really really hard at first, but it DOES get easier. I eat better now than I ever have before, because I've learned to cook from scratch. It's hard not to be able to eat out whenever I want, but... I didn't even know it was POSSIBLE to make chinese food at home until I was faced with never eating Sweet & Sour Chicken again unless I made it myself. ;-)

Stick around this forum and you'll learn a lot about how to cook and take care of yourself and your family.

-Elizabeth

pandybear Newbie

thanks elizabeth your information has been very helpfull, i think im gonna find it very hard to stay off the gluten but even just after being in this forum and read 2 messages im gonna have a good try. i know it will be hard for me to give up my favourite things but i know i have to try. Does anyone have any nice things they they can get on prescription that i can try by ordering as its hard to know what to order.

darlindeb25 Collaborator

It is very possible your worst symptom of gluten intolerance is MS. They aren't sure what causes MS, yet they do know that vitamin and mineral deficiencies aid in the development of MS. Gluten intolerance causes vitamin and mineral deficiencies. Just as Brigala says...if you stick to the gluten free lifestyle, your MS symptoms may improve.

I too, am one who reacts very extremely to gluten, there is no question in my mind that gluten is poison.

As for your children...had I known about gluten and it's effects when my kids were young, they would be gluten free now. At least 3 of my 5 show symptoms of gluten intolerance, maybe all 5. I know I gave each of them a gluten intolerance gene, because I have double DQ1 genes, so DQ1 is all I had to give.

You have a diagnosis, please go gluten free, if not for you, do it for your children. they will always need you.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

You may have more symptoms than your realize. You mention that you have MS. How was that diagnosed? Did you have a spinal tap where they found debris from demylinating lesions? Did you have an MRI that found white brain lesions? If you had an MRI and your diagnosis was based on that and your symptoms you may have brain impact from the antibodies rather than MS, if your MS was diagnosed by the spinal tap then that would be conclusive as MS. I was thought to have MS for many years but my spinal tap was clean even though I had the brain lesions suggestive of MS. They were just in a slightly different place. Years after I was finally diagnosed with celiac I researched those brain lesions, my neuro called them UBOs. By then many of my MS symptoms had been in remission or greatly relieved with the diet. I did have to be very strict with the diet and the symptoms did take some time to resolve but by 6 months I was able to run up stairs, walk without my canes and had control of my hands again. I had lost my reflexes in my legs and had great difficulty moving one leg and by 3 or so years on the diet my reflexes had returned and my foot drop had become much better. It can take a while for the nerves to regenerate but if your MS symptoms are being caused or made worse by gluten the diet followed strictly could change your life.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
thanks elizabeth your information has been very helpfull, i think im gonna find it very hard to stay off the gluten but even just after being in this forum and read 2 messages im gonna have a good try. i know it will be hard for me to give up my favourite things but i know i have to try. Does anyone have any nice things they they can get on prescription that i can try by ordering as its hard to know what to order.

Are you in a country that gives an allowance or script for gluten free food? If that is the case I would go to the section of the board that covers food, products etc and post this question. One brand that can be ordered that has some good stuff is Kinnickinnick, they make pretty good bread, doughnuts, pizza shells etc but don't know if they ship to where you are. I am glad to read you are going to go back to the diet. As I wrote in another post you may have more symptoms than your realize. I had brain impact for years before the severe gut stuff appeared. If you eat as simply as possible using whole unprocessed foods that will help speed your healing.

pandybear Newbie
Are you in a country that gives an allowance or script for gluten free food? If that is the case I would go to the section of the board that covers food, products etc and post this question. One brand that can be ordered that has some good stuff is Kinnickinnick, they make pretty good bread, doughnuts, pizza shells etc but don't know if they ship to where you are. I am glad to read you are going to go back to the diet. As I wrote in another post you may have more symptoms than your realize. I had brain impact for years before the severe gut stuff appeared. If you eat as simply as possible using whole unprocessed foods that will help speed your healing.

Thanks all for replys pls keep them comming, i am defo going on a gluten free diet as of monday mornin i have contacted a few companys today and they are sending me out free samples i have just returned from a trip to sainsburys where i brought a few gluten free bits. I promise you all for me and for my 2 girls and new grandaughter i will be doing the diet as best as i can manage. I really really appreciate all replys they make me glad i posted.

::))

tarnalberry Community Regular

the easiest way to stay truly gluten free is to eat whole, unprocessed, naturally gluten free foods. all the meats, nuts, fruits, vegetables, eggs, dairy (if you are ok with dairy), beans, seeds, etc. as you want.

Archived