luciddream928

Cross Contamination From Towels In A Mixed Kitchen?

Rate this topic

I recently started a new job as a caretaker with a child with special needs working in the home. I am noticing my symptoms (bloating, D) coming back and I'm wondering if it's possible that I've been cross contaminated?

I bring my own lunch and eat NOTHING from their kitchen or on their plates. I bring my food in tupperware and heat it in the microwave. I don't use their napkins, though of course I put mine on the table when I'm eating. I even bring my own silverware. And, I wash my hands before I eat and I try to use paper towels when I remember.

I do, however, dry my hands using towels left on the counter. It's entirely possible that a crumb or two is on the towel from the counter. Although it is a clean kitchen the same sponge is used everywhere and we all know how that goes.

Is it possible, though, to be cross contaminated from something as simple as this? I'm not celiac, BTW, just gluten intolerant.

Any input from anyone with a mixed kitchen is greatly appreciated. It's possible that I'll be living with my BF soon and he is not gluten free. I'm going to need lots of tips on how to keep myself safe.

Thanks so much!!!!

I would think that it's entirely possible. Anywhere a crumb can stick can make its way to your mouth...

I babysit in a household full of gluten-eating children. The mom tries to provide foods for me that I can eat, but I found after a while of being there every day that I was having an increase of symptoms. Bringing my own food has helped, and when I prepare meals for the kids which happen to be gluten-free (Nachos are a big favorite) I re-wash all the dishes and utensils before I start and keep my food separate. This has helped a lot, but I am always concerned about cc just from touching things in the kitchen. I wash my hands every time I go into the kitchen (general food safety reasons) and every time I go out of the kitchen (to wash any possible gluten off my hands). I don't use the kitchen towel to dry my hands; I shake them dry.

I also wash my hands after handling play-doh!

I babysit in a household full of gluten-eating children. The mom tries to provide foods for me that I can eat, but I found after a while of being there every day that I was having an increase of symptoms. Bringing my own food has helped, and when I prepare meals for the kids which happen to be gluten-free (Nachos are a big favorite) I re-wash all the dishes and utensils before I start and keep my food separate. This has helped a lot, but I am always concerned about cc just from touching things in the kitchen. I wash my hands every time I go into the kitchen (general food safety reasons) and every time I go out of the kitchen (to wash any possible gluten off my hands). I don't use the kitchen towel to dry my hands; I shake them dry.

I also wash my hands after handling play-doh!

UGGGHHH Play-Doh was a killer for me, I was so sick all the time. I worked with toddlers and infants, and forget it... I had to get rid of all of it. I guess I'm in the "super sensitive" camp.

Could the microwave be a problem? Is it clean? My microwave right now has BBQ sauce splatters on the inside (and who knows what else?!) from stuff my husband puts in and doesn't cover up. I'm newly diagnosed with two kids, so I'll be having a shared kitchen, and I'm thinking I need to buy a gluten-free-only splatter cover for the microwave.

I can sympathize... I seem to get sick whenever i eat at others houses even though they tell me that what they are cooking is Gluten-Free. I never get sick at my own home.. Hubbie is frustrated with me, telling me that he doesn't get why I'm always sick, so I pointed out that it NEVER happens here, so it is clearly an issue with cross contamination.. Anything is possible. I've gotten sick so many times with the exact same 'glutened' symptoms, and I don't always track it back.. So I can't offer any help, just sympathy! :)