This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Update: Reason For Hope?

momxyz

momxyz Contributor

first thanks to all of you who have given me sound advice and encouragement. This is an update on my daughter, her story told here:

https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/index.ph...uten+depression

She is now 8 weeks going gluten free. she wasn't perfect with it early on but she has learned a lot and is motivated and responsible. And it's not me mandating this, she has recognized the benefits.

Improvement in her depression has been gradual, but improvement has been noted by not just me, but others around her frequently. It's been like a subtle and gradual lightening.

She no longer complains about not sleeping well. I have to get her up more often now so she can get to where she needs to be on time.

Her constipation has improved. While she is not totally "regular" she has not had to take laxatives for several weeks now.

We had another pleasant surprise this week. She grew a 1/2 inch over the summer! While that may not sound phenomenal, you have to understand this is a kid who never had the typical "shooting upward" growth spurt; we celebrated when she grew 3/4 of an inch over the course of an entire year. Now she's a half inch taller than me!

I am hoping, so hoping this means something. I am hoping praying that she can now get her period without chemical assistance! And it would be so totally great if that could happen very very soon. (has not had a period since going off BC when depression diagnosed in July)

She has been seeing a psychologist and is to date not on any meds. Although she is feeling better, I am fearful she would still opt for meds as the "quick fix" if offered. She has an appointment with a psychiatrist on 9/23. I will be having a heart to heart with her this week, expressing my views on the value of staying off meds..... but she is almost 18 and wanting to take charge of her life. That is good in many ways but.....

it puts fear into the heart of this mom. If she got her period spntaneously, then this would help me talk to both her and the psychiatrist about the benefit and value of just continueing to stay gluten free w/o meds for a while longer...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I am so glad to hear she is doing better. Funny how much that 1/2 inch can mean to us when growth has been badly effected. Hopefully the growth will continue and she will continue to improve in the other areas as well. If her depression is easing there is a good chance that it will continue to get better and she will not need the meds.

nasalady Contributor
We had another pleasant surprise this week. She grew a 1/2 inch over the summer! While that may not sound phenomenal, you have to understand this is a kid who never had the typical "shooting upward" growth spurt; we celebrated when she grew 3/4 of an inch over the course of an entire year. Now she's a half inch taller than me!

That's wonderful! So glad to hear about all of the improvements in your daughter! This must be a big weight off your shoulders!

We just got back from the pediatrician's office where we found out that Emma, our 3-year-old failure-to-thrive daughter, has grown a full inch in height since May! Unfortunately she lost about 1/3 of a pound (0.15 kg), but we think that's because of her throat surgery at the end of August. Emma's been gluten free since January....I really think that this is why she grew so suddenly.

So *happy dance* for our daughters and their progress on the gluten free diet!! :D

JoAnn

momxyz Contributor
That's wonderful! So glad to hear about all of the improvements in your daughter! This must be a big weight off your shoulders!

We just got back from the pediatrician's office where we found out that Emma, our 3-year-old failure-to-thrive daughter, has grown a full inch in height since May! Unfortunately she lost about 1/3 of a pound (0.15 kg), but we think that's because of her throat surgery at the end of August. Emma's been gluten free since January....I really think that this is why she grew so suddenly.

So *happy dance* for our daughters and their progress on the gluten free diet!! :D

JoAnn

good for Emma! I hope she continues to prosper.

As far as my daughter is concerned, we are at a different end of the spectrum... while she is happy about the 1/2 inch what she is really looking for is an advance from A cup to B cup....but the slight jump upward hopefully will be a precursor to that!!

Archived