This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD)

AliB

AliB Enthusiast

Yup, anyone else out there wanting to join the SCD clan?

I actually think that gluten sensitivity came about a lot later than that, after all, even Jesus ate bread with his disciples around 2000 years ago and I am sure he would not have encouraged them to eat it if it was harmful to them.

Apparently up to about 300 years ago Wheat protein was based on a simple 14 chromosome molecule. Then a monk, Gregor Mendel, discovered a way of hybridising the wheat to get it to grow in places it would not normally be able to be grown. Since then, due to further hybridisation and manipulation, the molecule has been changed from a simple protein to a complex one with at least 42 chromosomes. It seems that it well may be the complexity of the grain that has caused it to become such a problem. Our bodies are not designed to be able to process it in that form.

Some people may have enough enzymes to be able to break it down but others don't, either from damage or genetic influences and therein lies the problem. Whilst we may be able to cope with a small amount occasionally, the quantity that we are bombarded with just overwhelms our bodies' ability to cope with it.

Whilst barley, rye and oats may not be such a problem in varying degrees, the body still recognises the gluten molecule and I daresay that they have also been 'mucked about' with too like just about everything else on this beautiful planet. Man can't leave anything alone. In his arrogance he always thinks he can do better than God! Of course, like so many other things, he actually just ends up making one huge mess from which he can't extricate himself! (what a great idea nuclear power was until they realised they didn't have a clue what to do with the stuff that needs to be disposed of!). He is just such an expert at ruining everything. He thinks he knows everything - but of course he actually knows nothing at all! Meanwhile we are all getting sicker and sicker by the minute.

Unfortunately, until God steps in and sorts it out we are jolly well stuck with it!

PS. In the paper today was photos of all the rubbish that is rotating around the earth out in space. I couldn't believe it - you could hardly see the earth for it all! My goodness - if they reckon cleaning up the earth will be an impossible task, how the heck would they ever be able to deal with all that!

Are you still coping with the diet ok?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
pele Rookie
PS. In the paper today was photos of all the rubbish that is rotating around the earth out in space. I couldn't believe it - you could hardly see the earth for it all! My goodness - if they reckon cleaning up the earth will be an impossible task, how the heck would they ever be able to deal with all that!

Are you still coping with the diet ok?

I am, I have to admit, loving this diet, or I wouldn't still be on it after 14 days. All the cheese and veggies I can eat!! This evening for dinner I had a small salad with yogurt honey dressing, a big mound of cooked fresh kale from the garden with more yogurt, some asparagas and a piece of salmon. I also invented a recipe for coconut custard bars:

2 egg whites, whipped to peaks

1 tsp vanilla

1/2 cup honey

1/3 cup drained yogurt

2 egg yolks

2 cups cocnut

Add everything in order a bit at a time to egg whites.

bake 350 for 1/2 hr in an oiled 8 x 8 pan

these could be flavored with cinnamon, cardamon, anise or whatever.

I found a thing on the web saying why chocolate is SCD illegal: because Haas thought it was chemically similar to cocaine.

So, all that trash in space--it's junk food wrappers, right?

AliB Enthusiast
I am, I have to admit, loving this diet, or I wouldn't still be on it after 14 days. All the cheese and veggies I can eat!! This evening for dinner I had a small salad with yogurt honey dressing, a big mound of cooked fresh kale from the garden with more yogurt, some asparagas and a piece of salmon. I also invented a recipe for coconut custard bars:

2 egg whites, whipped to peaks

1 tsp vanilla

1/2 cup honey

1/3 cup drained yogurt

2 egg yolks

2 cups coconut

Add everything in order a bit at a time to egg whites.

bake 350 for 1/2 hr in an oiled 8 x 8 pan

these could be flavored with cinnamon, cardamon, anise or whatever.

I found a thing on the web saying why chocolate is SCD illegal: because Haas thought it was chemically similar to cocaine.

So, all that trash in space--it's junk food wrappers, right?

MMMmm that sounds delicious - I'll have a go at that one. Your dinner sounded good too. I wish i could eat cheese - my options would be a bit better. I made some savoury crackers the other day with almond meal and the recipe said to include grated parmesan. They tasted lovely but my stomach didn't like the parmesan at all. I have made them without it now and they are ok with plenty of herbs and natural flavoring.

We have quite a large garden but it is not suitable for growing veg which is a shame. Part of it is a large bank with a higher section we are not able to access very easily which we have not been able to cultivate yet. I am hoping that one day we might be able to get back to growing our own veg - there is nothing like picking and eating it fresh from the garden! I have just planted a pear tree so can look forward to those (if the blackbirds don't get there first!).

If only the rubbish was junk food wrappers - they'd get burnt up in the atmosphere!

pele Rookie
my stomach didn't like the parmesan at all.

Here in the USA we have to be careful what kind of parmesan we buy--virtually all grated parmesan contains "cellulose" to prevent caking which is often wheat flour. Do you think you got glutened?

AliB Enthusiast

I never thought of that! The parmesan is pre-grated so that may be possible. My stomach has really not been at all happy again this week and I am getting the dreadful backache back, so something is going on. I just assumed that my stomach couldn't cope with it because it is dairy - the possibility of gluten never occurred to me. thanks for that!

I am doing some research at the moment on the Metabolic Typing Diet. I have known for a long time that I don't cope with carbs and need to have protein every day, but the more I read about it the more sense it makes, that the reason no one diet fits is because we respond differently to different foods. Whilst the consensus is that meat is acidifying, to a fast oxidiser who needs to eat plenty of it, it is actually alkalising. That quote is mentioned "one mans' meat is another mans' poison". It's a phrase we use but never think about the origin of. Obviously, it was sensibly realised back when the phrase was originated that it was a very true statement.

Whilst there are four main types, we apparently need to fine-tune our diets to suit our individual metabolism. Even though we may eat healthily, if we eat the wrong foods for our 'type' (metabolic, not blood), we won't get better. Even the types of supplements we take can make a difference. It is very interesting. I thought it was carbohydrates that were the problem, and to a certain extent they are, simply because of the quantity consumed, but they are also likely to be a problem because there are an awful lot of people out there who, like me, should not be eating them at all!

I'm going to have to get the book. I bought 'BioBalance' by Rudolf Wiley, but haven't found that to be very enlightening. He gives the bones of the diet, but I feel there is a lot missing, and one or two things seem to be contradictory. I am just contemplating getting the one by Bill Wolcott which seems to be somewhat more comprehensive.

The SCD sort of covers it to a certain extent which is fine for those who don't cope with carbs, but I know it doesn't work for everyone and that may well be because they are slow oxidisers who need to have carbohydrates.

CuriousOne Apprentice

Hi AliB, sorry for repeating if already asked...

but have you tried eating PURELY grass-fed say, goats milk? And does it make you feel bad, mess up your system? Just curious...

Do you think its possible soy and gluten derivative could get in milk of animals causing us problems? that is why i asked..

AliB Enthusiast
Hi AliB, sorry for repeating if already asked...

but have you tried eating PURELY grass-fed say, goats milk? And does it make you feel bad, mess up your system? Just curious...

Do you think its possible soy and gluten derivative could get in milk of animals causing us problems? that is why i asked..

I suppose that it is quite possible. Some people are so sensitive that they react to grain-fed beef and chicken, so I would say yes to that if you are a very gluten-sensitive individual. I have had goats' milk in the past and although it has been better than cows' it would still give me a reaction. I was drinking just goats milk before I went dairy-free but i dont' know if it was from grass fed or not as it was a commercial brand. I'm sure that I am Lactose intolerant. The enzymes that break down Lactose come from the tips of the villi - when the gut is damaged, they are the first to go which is why so many have a problem with Lactose.

But yes, i am sure that you could be affected by grain-fed animal products. I know that some who are also intolerant or allergic to corn can't eat corn-fed chicken.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pele Rookie

Here I am after 2 1/2 weeks on the SCD (98%) thinking that rice is not my problem. I am wondering if dairy is the problem. I have been telling myself for years that I do not have a problem with dairy. My brother looks at me askance. He has a problem with dairy. And corn. And gluten. Maybe I need to give dairy free a real chance, like not just for a day. The last time I went dairy free for several days I was still eating a lot of gluten.

On the other hand, my abdominal itching has disapeared since starting the SCD. Hmm.

But the guts are grumbling and I am sick of chicken, carrots, dried fruit and cheese. I checked out the paleo diet. Not for me. I'll look into metabolic typing.

CuriousOne Apprentice

I feel you on the diary. I think you do need to let go of it for at least a week. Thats what I'm doing...hard though!!

AliB Enthusiast

I'm kind of getting used to life after dairy. I don't drink tea or coffee but I do miss my hot choc - probably the comfort more than anything especially as it is so cold here for a great part of the year. When the weather's hot I'm not bothered about hot drinks. I tried making hot choc with dairy free choc mix and coconut milk but my stomach has been getting bad again - I'm not sure what is causing it but I really don't want to go backwards so I've dropped it and gone back to water for the time being.

I do miss the cream. I tended to add it to savory dishes more than sweet - you know, a dash in the soup or a creamy sauce, or to take the edge of an acid sauce like tomato.

It's just a case of getting used to it and re-programming my brain, but I definitely miss the dairy more than gluten. I'm still managing to cope with, and sneak in, a little butter and wondered whether I would be better off with ghee. A local Tescos has a large Asian Foods section where they stock all that sort of thing, so I might try it - although it might be cheaper to make it myself, I'll have to weigh up the costs. It seems quite expensive for a can of ghee but then when you think about what you have left after you've skimmed off the curds it probably doesn't work out much different. Apparently, although now usually made from cow's milk it was traditionally made from water buffalo's milk!

Now you see, after dropping dairy I thought that all the mucous and catarrgh would go but no, it's still hanging on, however, I suspect that it is probably that my body is producing it in an effort to get rid of toxins, and boy do I have a load to get rid of! Having been loading it for the last 50 years, it ain't gonna give up without a fight! I'm still waking up every morning with a mouth like a sewage pit and sometimes a slightly sore throat which is almost definitely toxin off-load. I am only hopeful that now I am not putting anything like the quantity of garbage in my mouth (even though I considered that I had a pretty good diet I have realised that even a teaspoon of sugar is rubbish to my body!), eventually that will stop and I will wake up with a mouth like a honey-pot (in my dreams!). When talking I am tired of trying to aim my breath past people's ears rather than up their noses!!!

CuriousOne Apprentice

I really think there is something to this SCD.

First off, if some of us people who have bad villi eat grains it may not digest well...giving food for the bad bacteria to eat.

I was reading about the Okinawans..how they mainly ate sweet potatoes for their carbs. Also reading about theories of what led to the early humans... they think they probably discovered tubers, cooked on fire...provided tons of calories...

So we have adapted to that well...grains came later.

And even when grains came they were fermented/soaked etc... to reduce lectins as much as possible.

The last 100 years especially in America we do not process grains to reduce lectins anymore.

pele Rookie

It probably sounded like I would be eating oatmeal with sugar for breakfast today, but I am still on the diet. I did add a teaspoon of illegal hot sauce to my stirfry last night and for lunch today found a container of split pea soup in the freezer made from unsoaked peas.

Despite my misgivings about the tone of the book, I do feel better. My teeth and tongue feel cleaner and I don't feel clogged up. I don't feel like I have a big bacteria or yeast problem. I did the home saliva test and it indicated no yeast. I can't say I have experienced a major die off, maybe a little one and I'm not sure about that. My poo, however, still looks like undigested food. I still think I am malabsorbing after 13 months gluten-free and a big 2.5 weeks of mostly SCD.

I remembered that I have gone out and bought milk and drunk it by the half gallon with no apparent effect. Before SCD my dairy intake was often no more than a 1/2 ounce of cheese daily, occasionally a dab of yogurt. I never noticed any difference between the minimal dairy intake and drinking 2-3 glasses of ultra-pasturized organic nonfat milk per day. If I had a dairy problem, wouldn't the milk have told me something?

Hello CuriousOne. If I loved sweet potatoes, I'd probably eat them even on the SCD, but I have hated them my entire life since my mother tried to force me to eat them with marshmallows and margerine.

AliB Enthusiast

Sweet potatoes, marshmallows and margarine! Yuk. On their own, great (well, pass on the margarine) but what a combination. Your mother sure had a strange taste! They are lovely baked whole in the oven then split and mashed with butter. Probably would make quite a nice cake, too! Make a change from Carrot cake!

Your problem may not actually be dairy, but if you were not getting much better even though gluten-free, there must have been something else in your diet that was blocking the healing process. Perhaps you are starting to feel better because you aren't eating much in the way of carbs.

I still can't cope with them at the moment, but then I am absolutely certain I am a protein type as I have always known I need plenty of protein and can't cope with carbs very well - I just didn't know why. Any carbs bang my blood sugar up. I have been pretty good over the last few days - although the fact that my stomach kept rebelling might have had something to do with it, but today I have had a few too many nut and seed cookies which almost certainly hasn't done either my stomach or my blood sugar any favors.

A friend of mine was saying that her body has stopped producing a particular enzyme that converts ammonia, so it builds up in her body. She has to take an enzyme tablet every morning to counteract it, so I was wondering whether my pancreas is not producing enough amylase to digest the carbs and that is why I get so uncomfortable when I eat them - stomach discomfort and backache. I have some digestive enzymes, so I might try taking some with carbs to see if it makes any difference.

Much to my surprise, although I thought I had finally hit the end of it, after several months, it might even be a year, I have started a period today! That was a surprise. They had been mucking about since I was about 43 and as I hadn't had one for so long, I thought I had seen the last of the 'curse', but no, up it has popped. I wonder if the diet has triggered that off?

pele Rookie

I thought I sent a reply two days ago, but it's not here! I assume it's my fault, or does that happen sometimes?

Yesterday was my first 100% dairy free day in a while. I'll stick with it for a while and see what happens. It's not too hard with a bit of advance planning.

If I have good luck with no dairy, I may start to add rice back into my diet. In the meantime, I have made it through three weeks on the SCD with very minor "cheating" including perfectly good store bought yogurt that I am now not eating. I also have some dry curd cheese, so I may end up baking a cheese cake, sugar and all, for my friends.

I went to a potluck last night. Took chocolate chip cookies to pass around and didn't mind not eating one. Took a SCD legal salad for myself.

AliB Enthusiast
I thought I sent a reply two days ago, but it's not here! I assume it's my fault, or does that happen sometimes?

Yesterday was my first 100% dairy free day in a while. I'll stick with it for a while and see what happens. It's not too hard with a bit of advance planning.

If I have good luck with no dairy, I may start to add rice back into my diet. In the meantime, I have made it through three weeks on the SCD with very minor "cheating" including perfectly good store bought yogurt that I am now not eating. I also have some dry curd cheese, so I may end up baking a cheese cake, sugar and all, for my friends.

I went to a potluck last night. Took chocolate chip cookies to pass around and didn't mind not eating one. Took a SCD legal salad for myself.

Never noticed a reply not come up. i have had an odd one not display, but when I have refreshed the screen it has popped up.

You are doing very well. I wish I had as much will-power! I was doing really well when I first went gluten-free, and was quite happy just to have an occasional cookie, but now I am finding if I have one, I end up eating three or four (or more!). What is it? Why could I do it then and not now? It's very strange.

I'm still waiting for the Metabolic Typing book to come through. I really hope it will turn up tomorrow as I need to be getting to grips with something here. I am sure the SCD would help, but I just seem to be hungry. Breakfast is the worst time. There isn't much I can have and I am getting fed up with either pate, or mackerel. I tried some eggs the other day and my stomach rebelled again. I thought i was ok with them but it seems to have gone backwards again, although it might have been something else.

Lunch was so good today. I made salmon cakes mixed with almond meal which were good, and served them with string beans, cabbage and roasted veggies - carrots, parsnip, butternut squash and potatoes some of which was legal and some not, but boy was it scrummy.

pele Rookie
I am sure the SCD would help, but I just seem to be hungry. Breakfast is the worst time. There isn't much I can have and I am getting fed up with either pate, or mackerel. I tried some eggs the other day and my stomach rebelled again. I thought i was ok with them but it seems to have gone backwards again, although it might have been something else.

-

How about a plain chicken breast and some fruit and yogurt for breakfast? Sometimes I saute two chicken breasts and have the leftover as a snack later. Some people will even have a hamburger patty for breakfast. It doesn't have to be traditional breakfast food, which was milk and cereal for me for years.

Have you tried making any of the SCD legal "cookies"? I have been making the peanut butter brownies, with a cup of peanut butter, one egg and 1/2 cup of honey baked for 20 minutes or so. Wouldn't work for you if you cannot tolerate any egg, but you could make SCD legal candy with PB, honey and coconut or almond meal, rolled into balls and refrigerated. Then when you get the munchies, there is something to eat. Or snack on smoked sardines, dried pineapple, figs, a banana... Lot's of fiber!

This is my third full day of no dairy. Should I have noticed something by now?

AliB Enthusiast

Not sure - I would give it 2 weeks or so to really be able to tell any difference.

I have received the Metabolic Typing Diet book today and have been devouring it. It is very interesting and after going through the questionnaire I am totally convinced that I am a Protein (fast oxidiser) type. I need to have a lot of protein (purines, which is organ and muscle meats) and little carbs (including no sugar and chocolate - boo hoo - but I knew that really - seeing it in print just reinforces the point!).

It is very interesting too because it explains why I need the proteins. Apparently those who come from a cold climate background, which I undoubtedly do as an Anglo-saxon, are more likely to need protein. Those who have a hot climate genetic make-up base are more likely to need carbs and light proteins. Then there are those who need a mixed diet.

I am a protein type - I think my husband is a Carb type. This is going to make it interesting at mealtimes!

katifer Apprentice

i am ordering a yogurt maker and will start next week --do you think this is way to hard to have my 17month old do? He and i were diagnosed in Nov 2007 and he is doing sooooo much better being off gluten but it seems that soy and dairy bug him too--i guess i just dont want him growing up with so many intolerances! Gluten/Celiac is enough. i need to do it for myself though because i do have the 'leaky gut' issues- i can tell in minutes my brain feels foggy/body achy if i have dairy,soy..eggs..yeast etc. im glad ya'll are doing this --gives me hope to try it.:)

pele Rookie
i am ordering a yogurt maker and will start next week --do you think this is way to hard to have my 17month old do? He and i were diagnosed in Nov 2007 and he is doing sooooo much better being off gluten but it seems that soy and dairy bug him too--i guess i just dont want him growing up with so many intolerances! Gluten/Celiac is enough. i need to do it for myself though because i do have the 'leaky gut' issues- i can tell in minutes my brain feels foggy/body achy if i have dairy,soy..eggs..yeast etc. im glad ya'll are doing this --gives me hope to try it.:)

Hi Katifer

IMO this diet should be great for kids, and at 17 months, yours isn't old enough to demand the stuff advertised on TV. My experience with starting the diet is that for the first time in my life I was eating only unprocessed (or minimally processed)food. Makes you realize that most of the stuff on the shelves is full of chemicals, additives, starches, sugar, etc.

You don't need to wait for your yogurt maker. Go ahead and start.

Another advantage is you will be eliminating soy, corn and many other potential problem foods. It's the closest thing to an elimination diet I am likely to get to. I never did buy a yogurt maker, because one of the bonuses of the diet is that I have been able to figure out that yes, I do have issues with dairy, so I haven't eaten any yogurt in days.

Since my digestion has been very quiet for that last 4-5 days, I decided to try a few strawberries, something I have trouble with before but have not eaten for a while. I felt like I got glutened, and added a post under "coping..." about it.

I hope you don't worry too much about restricting your son's diet. My brother and I (now in our 50s) both had food intolerances as infants and were raised on processed junk, wheat, dairy, you name it. We paid for this with decades of health problems. As long as you can control your son's diet, I think you will be doing him a big favor by putting his health ahead of eating fad food and birthday cake.

I am taking this diet one day at a time, keep telling myself I won't stick with it, but I am closing in on one month.

Welcome to the world of fish and chicken for breakfast, and cookies made from nuts, honey and eggs. And don't forget the carrots!

AliB Enthusiast

Hi Katifer. I can understand how you feel but at the end of the day, if he has intolerances, he has intolerances. They will not go away by being ignored, they only get worse!

We only view having to remove them as annoying because they are such an integral part of our 'Western' diet. If no one else ate them, removing them from the diet would not be a problem as no one else would be eating them! We are programmed into eating this way - herded into the 'Western' diet mold. As I have often said, if we lived in Japan we would eat differently, if we lived on Tonga we would eat differently. We all live on the island of gluten-free where we all eat differently. No problem.

The ones who are suffering are all those poor unenlightened 'lemmings' who are gaily stuffing gluten, dairy, soy, you name it down their throats completely oblivious to the fact that it is that 'wonderful scrummy tasty' insidiously poisonous processed and 'meddled-with' food that is causing them so much damage.

If you can get your baby to eat plenty of fresh vegetables, especially green ones, he should get all the calcium he needs from that.

pele Rookie
The ones who are suffering are all those poor unenlightened 'lemmings' who are gaily stuffing gluten, dairy, soy, you name it down their throats completely oblivious to the fact that it is that 'wonderful scrummy tasty' insidiously poisonous processed and 'meddled-with' food that is causing them so much damage.

Ali, you said it well. I think food tastes so much better these days since I am not eating the above mentioned, although I am missing cheese. Last night I mixed up some peanut butter, honey and coconut, rolled it into balls, refrgerated it and called it candy. Good thing I didn't make much becasue the plate is empty. And good thing I'm getting a lot of exercise.

AliB Enthusiast
Ali, you said it well. I think food tastes so much better these days since I am not eating the above mentioned, although I am missing cheese. Last night I mixed up some peanut butter, honey and coconut, rolled it into balls, refrgerated it and called it candy. Good thing I didn't make much becasue the plate is empty. And good thing I'm getting a lot of exercise.

This does make you more inventive, doesn't it!

As a 'Protein' type, I am very restricted with carbs. I can have a little in the way of grains - millet, amaranth, buckwheat, brown rice, etc, but my veggies are restricted to cauli, asparagus, beans, peas, carrots, celery, mushrooms and spinach, and a few potatoes as long as they are fried in butter! Fruits are limited to Avocado and olives (which I don't think of a fruit and don't have too much taste for, especially olives!), some apple, some pear and no more than 3 bananas per week (the starchy fruits and veg have to be severely restricted). I can have nuts and seeds (just been munching on celery and unsweetened peanut butter so that helps!)

No Alcohol (fine), no chocolate (how can I live without chocolate!!!), no coffee (fine), no fruit juices (well, okay), no sugar (I knew that!), and no foods high in oxalic acid which are black tea, any berries, beets, chard, chocolate, cocoa, currants, endive, grapes, green peppers, plums (so that's why I get little blood blisters in my mouth when I eat plums!!!), rhubarb, tomatoes. It is destroyed when cooked so I can probably have some cooked occasionally. Nothing with phytates in either as it binds with essential nutrients and stops their absorption, so I will need to soak any grains overnight and can have sprouted grains.

I'll have to see if I can find a recipe for 'Ezekiel' bread which apparently I can have.

Boy - I thought the SCD was restrictive enough - this is the way I am supposed to be eating!!! Wish I was a mixed type like my husband and daughter - I'd have the best of both worlds then!

pele Rookie
Boy - I thought the SCD was restrictive enough - this is the way I am supposed to be eating!!! Wish I was a mixed type like my husband and daughter - I'd have the best of both worlds then!

I bet you will stick with it if it makes you feel better. If it doesn't work, I hope you don't torture yorself for too long.

I have to say that now that I am off sugar, chocolate (don't crave it any more), DAIRY!! and grains, I feel much, much better. I was in denial about dairy for a long time. My diet is SO different from 14 months ago when I ate mostly gluten and sweets with a few veggies, trail mix and some rice and cheese. Now I am eating fruits, veggies, peanut butter, fish, chicken, turkey and eggs. The diet is redundant, but it beats chronic digestive distress.

• 2 months later...
mftnchn Explorer

Guess the posts were lost so I am going to bump this thread again. I just started the SCD due to lab testing that showed I am not breaking down carbohydrates, so the doctor put me on this.

I don't have a lot of symptoms with the GI system, so am tracking mainly fatigue, brain fog, and pain (muscle and nerve). Since I started the diet, just three days, I passed what I think was a bunch of roundworms--yuck. I don't really know if this is an effect of the diet, or it just enhanced wht I am currently taking--as I am on a course of humaworm this month, and am taking Enula for babesia infection. Then today, the BM was very weird again, almost like a jell. Reminded me of what you see in a newborn baby. Sorry if this is all TMI, but it seems like there is a cleansing going on. Has anyone else experienced this?

I've been gluten-free for over a year, was CF for 10 months, and soy free one year. I tend toward the big C and a bit of bloating, don't notice much else for GI symptoms. The C has been better on the gluten free diet, so the main problem now is digestion and absorption.

pele Rookie
. Sorry if this is all TMI, but it seems like there is a cleansing going on. Has anyone else experienced this?

Hi there.

I am happy to see this thread pick up again. I know there are others out there on the SCD. If you read through the entire thread, I think you will find that yes, some people do experience "die off" of bad bacteria, yeast or whatever.

I've been doing the diet for close to 4 months now and my digestion is the best its been in years (but still not perfect). I feel no inclination to eat rice, but pinto beans sound good...

I am still trying to figure out what to eat for snacks. Any ideas?

May I ask what doctor recommended the diet? One in OR or in China?

Archived