Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lisa79

Celiac And Gallstones

Just wondering if undiagnosed Celiac disease could cause gallstones?

I had my gallbladder removed a couple of years back as they found gallstones and as I was having pain and issues with my stomach, obviously still didn't feel good after and finally was diagnosed with celiac 2 years later. Could this be the cause of my gallstones?

Lisa :)

Me (30): Diagnosed with Celiac Disease by biopsy March 2009 - Multiple food intolerances, nightshades, egg, some fruits and many more.

DH (29): Type 1 Diabetic Diagnosed 2005

DD(5): Diagnosed with Celiac Disease by biopsy July 2009

DS (4) Positive Blood Test Aug 2010, awaiting biopsy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

There is a correlation between celiac and gallstones. I can't remember the source of research I read but I found out I had gallstones at the same time I found out I had celiac.

Here's an article on it: Celiac and gallstones and another thread from this board:

https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/index.php?showtopic=24784

Beverly

Gluten free since 2005

In the midst of winter, I found there was within me an invincible summer.

Albert Careb

36_35_6[1].gif

Just wondering if undiagnosed Celiac disease could cause gallstones?

I had my gallbladder removed a couple of years back as they found gallstones and as I was having pain and issues with my stomach, obviously still didn't feel good after and finally was diagnosed with celiac 2 years later. Could this be the cause of my gallstones?

Hi Lisa79,

I too had my gall bladder removed, but that was more than 15 years before I was diagnosed with celiac disease. Celiac disease was almost my last illness diagnosed but I'm convinced it was the first autoimmune disease I developed, probably when I was a very small child.

Thanks for the link, Beverly....that's interesting that there seems to be a connection.

JoAnn

Multiple autoimmune diseases, including celiac, Hashimoto's, psoriasis, autoimmune hepatitis, RA, SLE. Also have fibromyalgia.

Tested Fall 2008: bloodwork, biopsy negative; HLA DQ8. Doctor believes results negative due to prednisone and Imuran taken for autoimmune hepatitis.

Dx with celiac disease because of dietary response, genetics, and family history of celiac disease.

Dx with Lyme Disease Jan 2010; Lyme likely triggered some of the AI diseases.

Gluten free since 25 Nov 2008

Thanks for those link, I was curious if it was common with celiac disease.

I had my gallbladder removed less than 2 years ago due to lots of large stones. Deep down I dont think they caused me any grief it was probably the celiac disease as my symptoms persisted after surgery which is how I was eventually diagnosed with celiac disease.

Thanks, curious to see if there are many more people here with Gallstones or gallbladder surgery?

Me (30): Diagnosed with Celiac Disease by biopsy March 2009 - Multiple food intolerances, nightshades, egg, some fruits and many more.

DH (29): Type 1 Diabetic Diagnosed 2005

DD(5): Diagnosed with Celiac Disease by biopsy July 2009

DS (4) Positive Blood Test Aug 2010, awaiting biopsy