Lisa79

Celiac And Gallstones

Rate this topic

Just wondering if undiagnosed Celiac disease could cause gallstones?

I had my gallbladder removed a couple of years back as they found gallstones and as I was having pain and issues with my stomach, obviously still didn't feel good after and finally was diagnosed with celiac 2 years later. Could this be the cause of my gallstones?

There is a correlation between celiac and gallstones. I can't remember the source of research I read but I found out I had gallstones at the same time I found out I had celiac.

Here's an article on it: Celiac and gallstones and another thread from this board:

http://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/index.php?showtopic=24784

Just wondering if undiagnosed Celiac disease could cause gallstones?

I had my gallbladder removed a couple of years back as they found gallstones and as I was having pain and issues with my stomach, obviously still didn't feel good after and finally was diagnosed with celiac 2 years later. Could this be the cause of my gallstones?

Hi Lisa79,

I too had my gall bladder removed, but that was more than 15 years before I was diagnosed with celiac disease. Celiac disease was almost my last illness diagnosed but I'm convinced it was the first autoimmune disease I developed, probably when I was a very small child.

Thanks for the link, Beverly....that's interesting that there seems to be a connection.

JoAnn

Thanks for those link, I was curious if it was common with celiac disease.

I had my gallbladder removed less than 2 years ago due to lots of large stones. Deep down I dont think they caused me any grief it was probably the celiac disease as my symptoms persisted after surgery which is how I was eventually diagnosed with celiac disease.

Thanks, curious to see if there are many more people here with Gallstones or gallbladder surgery?

Lisa :)